Production Shows too LOUD?!?!?!

Leo Jay

Just HOW LOUD are the Production Shows?  

220 members have voted

1. 1. Just HOW LOUD are the Production Shows?

• Uncomfortably loud, and I’m not averse to loud music generally
    • Uncomfortably loud, but I’m sensitive to loud music generally
    • On the loud side, but not uncomfortable
    • Just about right
    • Not loud enough
    • Other

I've been reading that the production shows on X tend to be quite loud, and I'm trying to put it in perspective. My experience on CCL has been that the volume was amped up but not unpleasantly loud; my experience on RCCL was that the shows were so loud as to be bordering on unpleasant, almost painful.

I don't even know if these exist, but are there earphones that are specifically designed to reduce volume levels (but still render the sounds clearly audible) rather than block/muffle the sound?

For perspective, I find the average NYC dance club/bar to be loud enough that conversation can be a strain, but have never found the volume of the music itself to be unpleasant.

Thanks!

:)

Where's the button for "Not Another 'too loud' thread....please, enough".

First its Musik is too loud/not the right type of music in the common areas, then its too loud/not the right type of music in the specialty restaurants, then its too loud/not the right type of music in the MDR, then the Martini bar, then the.....

I Vote: I find Celebrity to be one of the more laid-back Lines with great low-key atmosphere throughout the ship.

OK, I got that off my chest.

Den

I took a sound level meter with us on one sailing and used it in the theater - I went in ONLY for this purpose as the sound level is too high.

I forget the reading, but I do remember that at the back under the balcony, the reading during the performance was bordering on what OSHA calls painful - and well over that threshold when the CD came on to cheer the performer after each piece.

The even amped a classical piano performance on one sailing.

I would say that any sound reducing earplugs should work to cut the level by enough to make it safe.

j

First its Musik is too loud/not the right type of music in the common areas, then its too loud/not the right type of music in the specialty restaurants, then its too loud/not the right type of music in the MDR, then the Martini bar, then the.....

I Vote: I find Celebrity to be one of the more laid-back Lines with great low-key atmosphere throughout the ship.

Den

This, if you hadn't noticed, is a poll, specifically referring to the volume of production shows.

I should have added an option for "Not another poster choosing to read a thread that is clearly related to a subject they know they don't want to read about, and then actually taking the time to post in said thread, thereby displaying their own propensity for self-induced aggravation!"

:rolleyes:

This, if you hadn't noticed, is a poll, specifically referring to the volume of production shows.

I should have added an option for "Not another poster choosing to read a thread that is clearly related to a subject they know they don't want to read about, and then actually taking the time to post in said thread, thereby displaying their own propensity for self-induced aggravation!"

:rolleyes:

Yup, I need to get a life!

Den

Den

Den - I'm with you on this. Clearly X should start to think about putting "ear defenders" in their staterooms. Nuff said... Zzzzzzzzzzz

Den

I agree, Den. It seems like there is way too much complaining going on lately on the Celebrity boards. What do you think is the main reason for this? New Celebrity cruisers? Expections too high? Something in the water?

I think we can all find something to complain about, but I prefer to look on the positive side whenever possible. I would love to be at sea today, looking out over the balcony at pristine blue water, instead of riding in my car looking at this ribbon of blacktop. But, I am alive to enjoy the day and look forward to another cruise, so I won't complain.

Happy Good Friday!

Not sure why this is being viewed as another "complaint" thread - some posters have commented that shows are loud, so I'm trying to get perspective on how much of an issue it is, and how to handle it proactively so that I can best enjoy my cruise. Why is that offensive or annoying?

If all of you who feel the noise issue is overblown would simply answer the poll, those of us who have not yet experienced the shows might be able to actually see substantive, quantified results that would help put other people's "too loud" comments in perspective (e.g., "only 10% of the respondents actually think it's too loud; most seem to think it's fine").

Or you can just complain...

I can't wait to see how loud the music is on our cruise so I can come back onto CC and post a thread about how it's too loud and cleverly change the spelling of "music" to "MUZAK"!

Den

Well said; I totally agree. Celebrity is all about relaxation and tranquility. I have never noticed any venue being uncomfortably loud on any Celebrity sailing. Kind of crazy how many recent threads have popped up complaining about this non-issue.

Den

Exactly! This is getting ridiculous !

I don't have a problem with or objection to these polls, it just seems odd that all of a sudden the subject of noise levels on X has become an issue. I have been on the X boards regularly for at least the past four years and never recall the subject coming up. Now it has reared its head multiple times in the last week. Just curious as to what is driving it.

I have experienced issues with music and announcements being at ear-splitting levels on Carnival and Norwegian but definitely not on X.

We have had more issues with the loudness of the production shows on Celebrity on our past 3 or 4 cruise than the previous 10 or 12. This experience mirrors the recent rise in comments/complaints about the noise levels on Celebrity

Our solution is pretty simple; the shows haven't been that great anyway so going and doing something else is a simple cure for the unnecessary loudness.

My personal bias is that the loudness is a function of the 20 somethings in the sound/stage crew who have lost their hearing going to loud rock shows and keep things loud enough for themselves to hear.

Art

I don't have a problem with or objection to these polls, it just seems odd that all of a sudden the subject of noise levels on X has become an issue. I have been on the X boards regularly for at least the past four years and never recall the subject coming up. Now it has reared its head multiple times in the last week. Just curious as to what is driving it.

I have experienced issues with music and announcements being at ear-splitting levels on Carnival and Norwegian but definitely not on X.

Possibly the re-furbs, with newer Martini bars? Attempts to appeal to a younger, hipper crowd?

It's not hard to imagine why something that wasn't an issue before suddently becomes an issue; cruiselines change various features all the time. The other day, I came across a thread outlining what seemed to me to be perfectly benign menu changes, and the dismay over no longer being able to order your favorite entree or cold soup!

For those of you who are tired of the discussion about things being too loud, there's a simple cure: don't open the thread.

For the rest of us, it is an issue. I can't go to the shows without wearing earplugs or putting my hands over my ears. I had given up going and then took a backstage tour with the production manager. Told her of my problem and her response was, "Not my shows!" So I gave it another try. Was still the same too loud. I think these young kids who are running things have already had their hearing ruined and thus their definition of "too loud" is far different from mine.

I would also suggest that the increased volume of posting on this issue would tend to indicate that there is a problem for quite a few people. Otherwise, why would people take the time to post about it?

Anyway, that's my take on the issue.

I've been reading that the production shows on X tend to be quite loud, and I'm trying to put it in perspective. My experience on CCL has been that the volume was amped up but not unpleasantly loud; my experience on RCCL was that the shows were so loud as to be bordering on unpleasant, almost painful.

I don't even know if these exist, but are there earphones that are specifically designed to reduce volume levels (but still render the sounds clearly audible) rather than block/muffle the sound?

For perspective, I find the average NYC dance club/bar to be loud enough that conversation can be a strain, but have never found the volume of the music itself to be unpleasant.

Thanks!

:)

Actually the sound level on my September Allure cruise was pleasant enough that I TWICE thanked the sound guy. Unfortunately Celebrity has been MUCH louder - I walked out in the middle of one show, and when I got off the elevator on Deck 9 it was STILL too loud. Why anyone thinks that singing at maximum volume into an amplifier is entertaining is beyond me. And while I'm at it, does ANYONE enjoy spot lights being shown in their eyes as part of the show:confused: [i mean that as a real question, because if everyone hates that as much as I do there would be no one in the front rows.]

Thom

We find that sometimes, and only sometimes, the lead singers voice can be a bit "shrill". We have found this on a few of our cruises.o

Problem is easily rectified by covering ears when she is in full flow, it does spoil it a bit for us :o but it hasn't stopped us booking again ;)

And while I'm at it, does ANYONE enjoy spot lights being shown in their eyes as part of the show:confused: [i mean that as a real question, because if everyone hates that as much as I do there would be no one in the front rows.]

Thom

It's not only an issue in the front rows.

The only way to avoid the glare when they shine those lights into the auditorium is to close your eyes! When you are watching the late show this can mean your eyelids have a tendency to stay closed.... Till the end of the show !

I have to confess to sleeping through a few fine productions with not even the "shrill" singing waking me from my slumbers :o

Please discontinue comments that may be upsetting to the elitests and those with thousands of posts Have you noticed that the "many posters" look upon the "few posters" as just complainers. Take the time to review some of the posts. Yes, we have walked out of the production numbers because of the sound. So, we just don't go. We make use of venues we enjoy.

Having a long track record on X I would say music and general noise levels are much higher now than they were 5 years ago. This is particularly the case on the Solstice class ships where clearly the aim is to have the Atrium " rocking" at night. Problem is the Ensemble lounge is as dark as a morgue and the groups there are playing louder as well.

We used to be Martini Bar fans particularly on old style M class ships. Now we are often drinking in the Passport or Skylounge. Martinis are not quite as good but at least I can hear the conversation of those I am with. So long as there is at least a choice of quieter drinking spots I am happy

As for the shows in recent times the whole experience has not been so good - noise, talking audience, people wandering in late and standing blocking views etc etc so I am less likely to visit them now - I will always try once each trip though just to see how it's going.

Archived