Production Shows too LOUD?!?!?!

Leo Jay

Just HOW LOUD are the Production Shows?  

220 members have voted

1. 1. Just HOW LOUD are the Production Shows?

• Uncomfortably loud, and I’m not averse to loud music generally
    • Uncomfortably loud, but I’m sensitive to loud music generally
    • On the loud side, but not uncomfortable
    • Just about right
    • Not loud enough
    • Other

Just returned from the Summit. All the production shows in the main theater were, in my opinion, too loud. Even the singer, Karen Grainger, had her mike turned up to where, in my opinion again, it was too loud.

Not sure why this is being viewed as another "complaint" thread - some posters have commented that shows are loud, so I'm trying to get perspective on how much of an issue it is, and how to handle it proactively so that I can best enjoy my cruise. Why is that offensive or annoying?

If all of you who feel the noise issue is overblown would simply answer the poll, those of us who have not yet experienced the shows might be able to actually see substantive, quantified results that would help put other people's "too loud" comments in perspective (e.g., "only 10% of the respondents actually think it's too loud; most seem to think it's fine").

Or you can just complain...

Wouldn't it be subjective (as in 'how deaf/old am I)...LOL! Don't forget this is X and not Carnival.

I too am surprised as the recent dearth of threads on the subject of loudness on board Celebrity ships. On some other lines that we've sailed I could possible see this being an issue, but on X???

"Dearth" means lack of or scarcity. I don't think that's what you meant! :D

answered on another thread as follows...

Yes..you want faders and not earplugs. Don't get the crappy foam orange stuff as well since as you know, those block/muffle

http://v-moda.com/faders/

it reduces the decibels while preserving the full spectrum of sound. They're around $12-$15 each, well worth it.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Just a thought - I think there is a relationship between perception of loudness and liking what one hears. Production shows probably sound louder to people who don't like them than people who do.[/QUOT

Regarding my previous post quoted above - it is comparable to why TV commercials sound much louder than an interesting TV show.

I have mentioned the loudness of the musical production shows to many CDs in the last 5 or 6 years and gotten the answer that the audio is set to prescribed settings, but that they will mention it at the next "meeting" (they don't specify what kind of meeting).

It's a shame when the orchestra is so loud that you can't even understand the lyrics that the singers have rehearsed so dilligently to perform. Unfortunately, we have had to leave because of the loudness on numerous occasions and hubby now refuses to even try to sit through another production show. The other types of entertainment are not as loud and can be enjoyed.

We were recently on the Equinox and did not have a problem with the volume in the theater. That said the loudness of a show depends on where you are seated. There are speakers along the front of the stage which could be loud if you are seated in the front rows. We like the center of the balcony which has an excellent view of the stage and is not nearly as loud as the front of the theater.

Just a thought - I think there is a relationship between perception of loudness and liking what one hears. Production shows probably sound louder to people who don't like them than people who do.

I do enjoy the production shows, and recently on Eclipse, they were way too loud for me. My ears were ringing. It seemed like the singers were screaming into the mikes. There was also a good pianist onboard and the band was so loud they virtually drowned him out. We (along with several others) mentioned it to him after the show, and he just shook his head and said, "I know."

We always look forward to the shows, and we have noticed the shows getting louder and louder in the last couple of years, not only on Celebrity. I'm inclined to agree with the others who have indicated the sound people are younger and think louder is better. I guess I don't understand why the cruiselines don't take sound measurements when hearing can be adversely affected by too many decibels.

People go bananas when they think there is a remote possibility of getting even a whiff of second hand smoke three decks above the smoking area, but no one seems to think assaulting the ears with loud noise is a problem. Go figure.

My personal bias is that the loudness is a function of the 20 somethings in the sound/stage crew who have lost their hearing going to loud rock shows and keep things loud enough for themselves to hear.

Art

Maybe but I find it's a product of mediocre performers thinking that if it's louder it must be better....and yelling into a microphone and turning it up will hopefully mask the fact that you have little talent......:rolleyes:

Unfortunately sound people are often so devoid of good experience thy fail to notice that the louder the music and sound the more distortion you get....

I agree, Den. It seems like there is way too much complaining going on lately on the Celebrity boards. What do you think is the main reason for this? New Celebrity cruisers? Expections too high? Something in the water?

I think we can all find something to complain about, but I prefer to look on the positive side whenever possible. I would love to be at sea today, looking out over the balcony at pristine blue water, instead of riding in my car looking at this ribbon of blacktop. But, I am alive to enjoy the day and look forward to another cruise, so I won't complain.

Happy Good Friday!

I don’t think this is a complaint thread about all the noise on the ships. It is simply looking to see if others fell the decibel level during the production shows is too high. Yes, it is. There is no reason not to turn it down.

I just got off of the Eclipse and several times the senior officers mentioned how they learn about issues here on Cruise Critic. They now have a comment card in the cabins so the issues can be addressed during the cruise. It seems the cruise line is interested in hearing, no pun intended, about what can be improved.

On my Solstice sailing I didn’t notice music carrying like it does on the Eclipse. Our cabin was across from the library so we were in there every day. The live music from the Grand Foyer, which was enjoyable, blared into the library. I’m a librarian and that drove me crazy. The library should be a quiet place and it wasn’t.

In keeping with the largest number of those responding to this "poll", I checked the "just about right" category. We were very happy to the shows last June on Solstice. Below are two of my visual samples for what we enjoyed and experienced. I was impressed with the staging on a cruise ship and how things worked, sounded, etc. Really liked the ship orchestra that performed with these show. It's not Broadway or the London West End, but it was a nice length, style and approach.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 73,115 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For entertainment in the Solstice Theatre, it was called “Solstice -- The Show” featuring a European-style dance, air acts, music, etc. Very dramatic and interesting as they swing, twirl and soar over the audience and stage. It is a “state-of-the-art” theatre with these "Cirque-type" dancers being able to “do their thing”. Here is one example of the “air show” put on by the show performers.:

SolsticeAirShowFinalTwo.jpg

Earlier on our cruise in the Solstice Theatre, there was a show called “Pulse” that featured the great ship orchestra, plus much dancing, singing, entertaining, etc. Lots and energy and good talents on the ship.:

SolsticeShowPulseTwo.jpg

Just off Millennium last week with my previous Celebrity cruise on Equinox in December. There was definitely a big difference in the sound level in the theater and in venues all around Millennium over our last cruise on Equinox. I'm not sure what's going on but it was at the point that you couldn't sit in the Cova (yes, it's still the Cova on Millennium for a few more weeks) and carry on a conversation. We started sitting in the balcony in the theater and that was a better option.

But there was definitely a noticeable difference in the sound level around the ship. This also includes the music on the pool deck, aft at the Oceanview Cafe, the disco at night, etc. I've sailed on many Celebrity ships and this is the first time I can recall noticing the increase in sound level around the ship. I asked several times for the sound in Cova to be lowered so we could talk while enjoying coffee.

I'm not sure that those who are "complaining" are doing so just to complain. When you can no longer carry on a conversation the music is too loud regardless of where you are on the ship. I'll be curious to see what it's like on my next Celebrity ship.

Just off Millennium last week with my previous Celebrity cruise on Equinox in December. There was definitely a big difference in the sound level in the theater and in venues all around Millennium over our last cruise on Equinox. I'm not sure what's going on but it was at the point that you couldn't sit in the Cova (yes, it's still the Cova on Millennium for a few more weeks) and carry on a conversation. We started sitting in the balcony in the theater and that was a better option.

But there was definitely a noticeable difference in the sound level around the ship. This also includes the music on the pool deck, aft at the Oceanview Cafe, the disco at night, etc. I've sailed on many Celebrity ships and this is the first time I can recall noticing the increase in sound level around the ship. I asked several times for the sound in Cova to be lowered so we could talk while enjoying coffee.

I'm not sure that those who are "complaining" are doing so just to complain. When you can no longer carry on a conversation the music is too loud regardless of where you are on the ship. I'll be curious to see what it's like on my next Celebrity ship.

wannabeatsea - Do you think it is because Celebrity is trying to create a livelier image?

Where's the button for "Not Another 'too loud' thread....please, enough".

First its Musik is too loud/not the right type of music in the common areas, then its too loud/not the right type of music in the specialty restaurants, then its too loud/not the right type of music in the MDR, then the Martini bar, then the.....

I Vote: I find Celebrity to be one of the more laid-back Lines with great low-key atmosphere throughout the ship.

OK, I got that off my chest.

Den

Ditto.

Just a thought - I think there is a relationship between perception of loudness and liking what one hears. Production shows probably sound louder to people who don't like them than people who do.[/QUOT

Regarding my previous post quoted above - it is comparable to why TV commercials sound much louder than an interesting TV show.

They don't sound louder, they are louder. That's why you have the "CALM act" in the US and here in Europe we have the "EBU R128 Recommendation".

It's not just X; all the ships crank up the music too loudly, and we both have a degree of hearing loss for ordinary conversations. Our solution was to buy ear muffs for shooting ranges. They may not be chic, but knock 23 decibels right off the top, and we still can hear everything going on.;)

I had no idea there had been previous discussions about the noise level on Celebrity ships recently.

Having said that, we've done many Celebrity cruises. We were onboard Silhouette last week and the music was deafening in almost all venues. The ridiculous choice of piped in music around the pool during the day was not only not cruise-appropriate (broadway show tunes, etc.), but it was so loud that I couldn't carry on a conversation with my sister. Same goes for Tuscan Grille and the MDR. I have no problem with the music being cranked up in certain areas of the ship (such as the martini bar, where they want things more "amped" up), but while dining in the MDR or a specialty restaurant, the music selection should be more dinner-appropriate and at a level that one could carry on a conversation. One evening nobody at our dinner table could hear what the waiter was saying because the music was so loud. We requested that it be turned down a bit, and it was.

This is the first time I encountered it on a Celebrity cruise. Many others complained as well.

I had no idea this was a touchy subject, but I for one would like to add my 2 cents that Celebrity needs to make better music selections and keep it at a lower volume in the dining venues.

Loved the Caribbean style music when the live band played around the pool. And the atrium music was very good as well.

Jo-Ann

Bridge Maven ~ I'm not sure. I'm all for lively. I like lively. I'm even OK with the disco being "too loud" later in the evening. All discos are that way. But when I can't sit and enjoy coffee with friends in the Cova/Cafe al Bacio because the overhead piped in music is too loud, something has definitely changed. There was a wonderfully delightful server in Cova and when we'd ask her to turn it down a bit, she happily took care of it. But this is definitely something new for Celebrity across all areas of the ship. At least it was on Millennium. I was traveling with a group so I didn't have a chance to really ask anyone about it. We'll see what it's like next time.

This might be my only major Celebrity issue, and it is only for the production shows. I have had to walk out because it is way too loud and the singers sound as if they are simply shouting -- but I do believe it has gotten better over the past couple of years.

I'd like to introduce a non-subjective measure into this conversation. I took a sound level meter into the theater specifically to get an objective reading of the volume. We gave up attending the shows because we found the volume too high - but I wanted to confirm that it wasn't my aging ears or the types of music being played. At the back of the theater, during the performance by a pop (and amplified) violinist, the meter showed 90 db. When the CD came on stage to bring on the cheers, his shouts pinned the meter at the 100db setting I had used as a max.

Check the various regulations in effect for workplace sound levels to see what they say about those readings. That's why we no longer go to the shows. I'm not sure, but I suspect the rock group performing in the Silhouette atrium as we left the MDR was hitting similar levels.

j

Archived