Man overboard- eurodam 3/31?

hehny

During docking at San Juan on this cruise the captain made an announcement that a man had gone overboard and all crew needed to report to emergency stations. It was around 2:00. This was the eurodam 3/31 sailing.

Just wondering if anyone knew what had happened? It was never brought up again.

During docking at San Juan on this cruise the captain made an announcement that a man had gone overboard and all crew needed to report to emergency stations. It was around 2:00. This was the eurodam 3/31 sailing.

Just wondering if anyone knew what had happened? It was never brought up again.

There have been no reports of this in any of the main stream media nor in the Industry News.

My thoughts are that this may have been, again I stress, MAY have been part of a Crew Drill which is done all the time to keep the crew in preparedness for just such an emergency.

As to the vibration problems in your other thread, yes there is a definite vibration problem as I reported in my review of the Noordam. Different ship, I know, but I, and several others, talked with a contractor with a Vibration Company hired by HAL, who said it was a defect in the engine. He used a set of car brakes as an example. Brakes go bad, unfortunately, the part that is going bad on Eurodam is going bad faster than it should and needs to be replaced in a dry dock where they can take the engine apart and replace it. I think if I remember correctly he said something about a cog....

Joanie

There have been no reports of this in any of the main stream media nor in the Industry News.

My thoughts are that this may have been, again I stress, MAY have been part of a Crew Drill which is done all the time to keep the crew in preparedness for just such an emergency.

As to the vibration problems in your other thread, yes there is a definite vibration problem as I reported in my review of the Noordam. Different ship, I know, but I, and several others, talked with a contractor with a Vibration Company hired by HAL, who said it was a defect in the engine. He used a set of car brakes as an example. Brakes go bad, unfortunately, the part that is going bad on Eurodam is going bad faster than it should and needs to be replaced in a dry dock where they can take the engine apart and replace it. I think if I remember correctly he said something about a cog....

Joanie

So it looks like an issue with the engine that drives the generator and not one of the azipods or props.

We were on the Westerdam Mar 11-25, and shortly after arriving at one of the islands we hear a message over the PA all staff report to your stations fire in the engine room. We also notice all the green floor lights were on, and they actually have arrows indicating in which direction to go.

Nice to know that we cruise with a well trained crew.

Just picked up our two daughters tonight after their flight home from this same cruise. I asked them about this incident and they said it was just a drill and that had been announced. I also asked whether they had experienced any vibration and they did not. They said the only motion was due to a little rough sea one night.

The crew drills given onboard ship are various, ongoing and can range from small specialized teams to Departments, to the entire crew. However, there are only a few where the P/A system is used to indicate a crew drill and advise/warn the passengers of same. The most frequent one of those is a fire drill, held on the avg once a week. Some fire drill scenarios will evolve into a full 'Abandon ship' drill or 'general emergency drill' where the entire crew, with the exception of those working essential tasks, need to respond to their muster station on boat deck, wearing their life vests. At times, crew drills utilizing an actual life raft (ingress/egress/righting a flipped over raft), take place in the aft pool. Other announcements made on the P/A by the Officer of the Watch identify the testing of fire screen doors or emergency generators and the associated stopping of elevator service during that time.

'Man overboard' drills are also held however not as frequent as fire drills and, in cases when a crew member plays the role of the "man overboard" and actually goes into the water, those only take place in harbor, and you can probably guess why;)

Before any fire or general emergency drill for crew commences, the Officer of the Watch will always make a P/A announcement advising the pax of same. After the alarms are sounded throughout the ship, the OOW, or the cruise director, will again identify it as a crew drill and the words "no action is required by our guests" and will start identifying the "problem" as well as give instructions to the special team/crew so they know where to respond. During the drill, the cruise director will continuously give updates, and further crew instructions, but will always preface those by repeating that "this is a crew drill" and/or "continuing with the drill,......". When the drill concludes, the CD will indicate so via the P/A system advising all passengers.

There should be no confusion between a crew drill and an actual non-routine event/emergency. In the case of an actual emergency and not a drill, it's the OOW who usually transmits the initial alarm over the P/A, i.e. "Bright Star", "Fire", "Man Overboard", etc. including location, afterwhich it's usually the captain's voice who will come on the P/A with updates and final disposition

John, a question if I may??

Is it not also true that in the case of a "Drill" the PA announcemnents will not be heard in the staterooms. BUT in the case of a "Real" emergency they will be heard everywhere on the ship, to include the staterooms and verandahs??

I seem to remember this from somewhere but am not sure and would like to know a definitive answer.

Joanie

John, a question if I may??

Is it not also true that in the case of a "Drill" the PA announcemnents will not be heard in the staterooms. BUT in the case of a "Real" emergency they will be heard everywhere on the ship, to include the staterooms and verandahs??

I seem to remember this from somewhere but am not sure and would like to know a definitive answer.

Joanie

You are correct

We too were on this sailing, we were in port at that time but the cruise director did mention on the last day that in San Juan they had a surprise inspection and they received 100/100!!! I believe he mentioned the inspection was about the food but could have all been a part of that.

Never heard anything about anyone overboard!!!

Archived