Does Oceania need a Supper Club?

JimandStan

Should an underused section of the main dining room become a Supper Club?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Should an underused section of the main dining room become a Supper Club?

• No, leave the Main Ding Room, just as it is
    • No, we like our dining and entertainment experiences seperate
    • No, A Specialty Restaurant with music sounds too noisey
    • Yes, the Dining Room is just too big as it is
    • Yes, Oceania needs another Entertainment option, anyway.
    • Yes, we prefer dining and dancing to attending a show.

Marina-Grand-Dining-Room-0368.JPG

Although the Main Dining Rooms on the Oceania Class are astonishingly beautiful, some cruisers miss the intimacy of a smaller venue. That got me to thinking.

102749.jpg Would the underused port side entrance "wing" of the Dining Room be a good place for a Supper Club type venue?

spirit-supper-club.jpg

Even if it were offered on a reservation and extra fee basis, judging by the resounding success of La Reserve, I believe that a dining venue with live music and dancing could be a huge success...

What do you think?

Ah JimandStan

You hopeless romantics. I think that is a great option for this part of the MDR. That side wing seems to have a odd "dead" feel, no matter how busy the dining room is otherwise.

This kind of added option to the traditional post-dinner shows would seem to be a perfect fit to the overall ambiance that Oceania has created on her ships.

It might work, but the music selections, like people's choices in food, would create dissension.

I would enjoy a supper club if the music was classic jazz (a three or four person combo) or "big band". Rock music is questionable and I certainly would not like anything from recent "pop"or rap music sources. No screeching pop divas, please, trying to sound like Celine Dion or Barbra Streisand (just my personal opinion). Those sounds are not conducive to good digestion.

Personally, I am a classical music aficionado above all other tyoes of music, but that would not fit into the supper club mode.

I prefer to have a nice quiet place for dinner ;)

Maybe if they enclosed the space it would work

It is a good area for a larger group to share the dining experience

I prefer to have a nice quiet place for dinner ;)

Maybe if they enclosed the space it would work

It is a good area for a larger group to share the dining experience

Let's face it, Lyn-

Neither you, nor I, has ever even attended a quiet dinner.

talking.jpg?w=498&h=250&crop=1

Let's face it, Lyn-

Neither you, nor I, has ever even attended a quiet dinner.

I guess you are right

I like to chat with my tablemates over dinner & having a musical accompaniment may detract from the conversation

I would feel like I had to listen to the musicians ;)

Lyn

JimandStan,

That is a great idea. Assuming the music can be kept to acceptable noise levels it would serve to solve several problems in the GDR, especially cutting down on the cavernous feeling. Sorry I can't agree that the GDR is astonishingly beautiful however, giving it a multi use purpose would be very helpful. Plus it would be a boon to those who like to dine later and thus can't make the evening entertainment. You just have to promise to use your influence to make sure there's never any karaoke.

Brilliant idea. Ballroom dancing only! Maybe a singer with the band. Nice and mellow. Like the Stork Club or El Morocco. Ah ..... those were the days. NO FEE - that would be insane -- especially since it's the same food you can get for free and no cruise line charges for music.

It would go a long way in making up for what is otherwise unacceptable entertainment IMO -- O's biggest weakness. We would be overjoyed to have a lovely place to go for dinner and dancing and to linger over a few after dinner drinks.

If there were a dinner venue with dancing (ballroom please) that would be a major draw for OCL. It would distinguish the line from others and would add yet another dining option. I do not think there should be a fee associated with it as that would likely push too many away and the fun of a dinner-dine is having others to enjoy it with. So yes, this is a great idea!

I am assuming the music would not be loud enough to intrude on other diners throughout the GDR. Background is good, foreground is not unless specfically wanted. I would not want to hear the noise levels have increased. That is one of the things I like about the GDR on Marina vs the R-ships - it is not nearly as noisy from conversation. There has been times at a table for 6+ that we've sat in silence rather than raise our voices above the din on the R-ships, especially in the raised centre section. Any music that eminates from the 'Supper Club' must not intrude on the other diner's conversations - it is a major social aspect of cruising on O.

Only on our last cruise did we see more than one couple at a time on the dance floor during the pre-shows dance music. It was great to see several couples enjoying the music and dancing with their partner. We've always wanted to get out on the floor, correction *I* would like to get on the floor and dance with DW but she has never felt as me - at least not in public. I do know though we would both enjoy such a venue even if just to watch others, enjoy the music, have an after-dinner cocktail or two. We've never enjoyed karoke and as we often dine late we often do not take in the shows in any case or just 'pop-in'.

So we say, yes and agree this be a great addition to the onboard entertainment and good use of this space.

If there were a dinner venue with dancing (ballroom please) that would be a major draw for OCL. It would distinguish the line from others and would add yet another dining option. I do not think there should be a fee associated with it as that would likely push too many away and the fun of a dinner-dine is having others to enjoy it with. So yes, this is a great idea!

Actually, I was basing my suggestion on the Stars Supper Club that Silversea is already offering

Silversea_Stars_Supper_Club.jpg which means that it would be a smaller room.....-not the entire dining room- with a singer backed by a combo. Not just another dining venue, but a special occasion destination.

Personally, I think that a fee would add to the tone of the room, but then again I booked PRIVÉE at the old rates, and was thrilled with it. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the photo Jim and Stan. The challenge with a smaller room is that the dance floor can end up too small which would defeat the goal. So finding the right combo of setting, size and sound will be the challenge.

And maybe I'm just too cheap:o, but with all of the free dining options and free dance locations, I can't see paying extra for a dinner - dance venue even though we are pretty serious dancers.

I voted against the Supper Club, and one of the reasons is that I don't want there to be any dance floor in or near the Grand Dining Room, let alone a large one, let alone "ballroom dancing" and what would likely follow, i.e. "ballroom dancewear."

I don't recall JimandStan mentioning dancing at all, but I may have missed it.

My first thought of a Supper Club was just a small music/dining venue, but when ballroom dancing came into the discussion, my mind was made up to vote "no."

I voted against the Supper Club, and one of the reasons is that I don't want there to be any dance floor in or near the Grand Dining Room, let alone a large one, let alone "ballroom dancing" and what would likely follow, i.e. "ballroom dancewear."

I don't recall JimandStan mentioning dancing at all, but I may have missed it.

My first thought of a Supper Club was just a small music/dining venue, but when ballroom dancing came into the discussion, my mind was made up to vote "no."

Ditto,and the good news is the the R ships don't have room to add one.;)

Hmmm... I'm actually not sure what "ballroom dancewear" is in the context of a cruise with no formal nights, and I'm a dancer. I'm pretty sure that no one can tell we dance from what we wear. Maybe I'm packing the wrong things! :eek:

Watch Dancing With the Stars for a demonstration on dance wear!!!!!

:eek:I certainly would not be seen in THAT dancewear!!!!! And I doubt many of our fellow O passengers would either.:D

Marina-Grand-Dining-Room-0368.JPG

Although the Main Dining Rooms on the Oceania Class are astonishingly beautiful, some cruisers miss the intimacy of a smaller venue. That got me to thinking.

102749.jpg Would the underused port side entrance "wing" of the Dining Room be a good place for a Supper Club type venue?

spirit-supper-club.jpg

Even if it were offered on a reservation and extra fee basis, judging by the resounding success of La Reserve, I believe that a dining venue with live music and dancing could be a huge success...

What do you think?

Looks like a nice idea for any ship -

Wouldnt' it be interesting to have one wing set up as a Supper Club, enclosed by a retractable glass wall...

...and the other wing could be enclosed by a similar glass wall where groups or private dinner parties could be seated, but otherwise left open if no such event/group was taking place.

the other wing could be enclosed by a similar glass wall where groups or private dinner parties could be seated, but otherwise left open if no such event/group was taking place.

Interesting, but impractical because the dining room is entered through those "wings".

Also, the Oceania class Ships already offer a private party room, albeit limited to ten lucky people:

44.+oceania+privee.jpg

Privée stands alone as Oceania Cruises' most indulgent, one-of-a-kind dining experience. Even superlatives pale when describing Marina's ultimate venue, which you may reserve solely for exclusive parties of as many as ten privileged guests. Opulently decorated with Ferrari Red carpeting, oversized white baby crocodile throne chairs, ornate Baroque millwork, and flanked by backlit onyx-clad walls, the setting for Privée is absolutely exquisite. A custom-made oval table, illuminated by a white Venini glass chandelier, lies at its heart, accentuating the culinary magic that awaits you.

Guests will be able to enjoy a menu selected from Polo Grill, Toscana or a combination of both. Each guest can select their own menu. Within the sanctum of Privée, dining engages all the senses, leaving you and your guests immensely fulfilled. This dining extravaganza can be reserved for $250 per evening for a party of up to 10 guests.

If your already booked, you may reserve Privée by logging in to your Already Booked account or by contacting Reservations at 800-531-5619.

Archived