Cancelled Caribbean Princess cruise-Disappointed in Princess response

Irene cruiser

A&L, I am so very sorry for your loss. Your post certainly puts everything else in perspective.

Thank-you for your kind words. Allie taught us many life lessons even though she was 100 reliant on us. We miss her greatly but we also have a son named Owen who is 5. He is keeping us very active and it helps a great deal.

Andrew

OP, I m very sorry that Princess has not made good on their promise to reimburse the cruiser for their expenses for this "non-vacation." I feel very lucky because I sailed on the first cruise after the repair.

I was very nervous about this situation because we had already bought and paid for 3 nights of a nonrefundable hotel room in San Juan before our scheduled departure- so we had to fly down whether the ship sailed or not or we would lose our money.

When we flew down, the ship was still not repaired and I had no idea if we would be sailing or stuck in San Juan trying to figure out what to do at the last minute.

I know your sailing got the worst deal because many people had already flown to San Juan or were on their way when the cancellations were announced. Many had no idea that the ship was broken even though it was posted here on CC for days. It was siimply too late for most to make alternate plans and much money was already shelled out for plane tickets and such. It seems like the insurance policies (from anyone) didn't pay out for this situation.

I do hope that Princess will keep their promise to reimburse everyone fairly because the expenses varied greatly for each case.

Actually, except for the airfare, which was used, it's a very good reason to get Princess insurance. It has cancel for any reason and trip interruption. I have, unfortunately, had reason to use it

Pam

Does the cancel for any reason portion of the Princess insurance have a pre existing condition clause. I have only used independent travel insurance because they offered free travel insurance for minors with the purchase of an adult policy. At the time I wasn’t Platinum so it was much less expensive than Princess. Now that we are all older and the kids no longer qualify for the free policy I was considering purchasing the Princess policy.

Cutting to the chase, if it's a covered reason, you get a refund. If its not a covered reason, you get credit towards a future cruise. A new medical condition is covered, a pre-existing condition isn't. As I learned when I had to use the insurance, if you are a traveling companion and not necessarily in the same cabin, you are covered for trip interruption. In our case, my BIL got sick on a cruise a couple of years ago. He was in the hospital for a month in FLL. I stayed in FL to be with my sister (for a number of reasons) and my Princess insurance paid for almost all of my hotel and living costs plus the Princess Care Team arranged for special hotel pricing and called daily to offer assistance. Some insurance policies pay for only five days. Make sure you check on that. As my sister said, "What? I'm going to leave him here in the ICU and go home?"

Note with respect to another thread, if your cabin mate has to cancel and you are charged the single rate, you would be reimbursed under Princess insurance.

Note with respect to another thread, if your cabin mate has to cancel and you are charged the single rate, you would be reimbursed under Princess insurance.

So...what would prevent a solo from enlisting a friend to share a cabin, both buying Princess insurance, the friend cancels for any reason, gets a Princess credit and the remaining passenger gets reimbursed the additional amount charged for the single supplement?

In effect, the remaining solo cruiser pays only for the friend's insurance and is spared the single supplement. As long as the friend intends to cruise with Princess in the next 12-23 months, it works. Or am I misunderstanding this??

Sounds like a huge loophole.

Archived