Port or Starboard Southbound-Balcony vs Oceanview

jotabecu

We are considering Island Princess Aug 22 sailing yet have not been able to finalize our thoughts whether a balcony would be better than an outside in that season because of temperatures or whether port side would be preferable to starboard.

Any suggestions or previous experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks

I have had a SkySuite, regular balcony, oceanview (2X), and an Inside cabin. On my next cruise to Alaska I am looking at the least expensive inside cabin because I would prefer to spend the extra money on shore excursions which to me are much more important. When I did have a balcony I felt like I was viewing Alaska with horse-blinders on. Such a limited field of view unless you get an aft wrap balcony that is not covered.

Got two balconys and three insides on my last trip for my family, one on each side. Frankly didn't think side matters, even on scenic sailing the sides switch on sail in and out.

Alaska weather can be variable, as long as the balcony doesn't crimp your excursion its nice to have that privacy and immediacy of stepping out but IMHO not essential for really enjoying as there is lots of free deck space too!

My vote is for a balcony on the port side of the ship when cruising southbound (starboard side when cruising northbound). Then if you are in your room and great scenery is going by you won't miss it cause you are on the land side being on the port side of the ship. The big sliding glass door provides for great viewing when you are getting up and getting dressed, etc and you won't miss anything.

Archived