No MDR???

Would you cruise aboard a ship lacking a Main Dining Room?  

254 members have voted

1. 1. Would you cruise aboard a ship lacking a Main Dining Room?

• Yes, sounds like an innovative and exciting proposition.
    • No, I enjoy the atmosphere, food, and service.
    • Not sure, I have reservations about my options or cost.

Before MDR disappears I suspect first there will be a trend toward sectioning the MDR into menu zones - especially on the ones with multiple levels. They already have different names for different levels on most ships so easy to make that mental transition. Different menu zones would have different upcharge. Sort of like more cost for suites or higher level of wine package. Each "level" would have an expanded menu such as with the items such they are now charging extra for (steak or lobster) plus menu from lower level(s). When you book cruise you book it with MDR level so cruise pricing would be tiered. In effect MDR becomes a specialty venue but on a whole cruise basis. Perhaps suites become automatically a higher tier.

Would be like the olden days of different classes. Us in the Steerage Society know where we will be. ;)

Certainly an intriguing theory. Not sure how likely it is, but an interesting concept. Frankly, I think that significant changes to the MDR are pretty unlikely because changes such as suggested seem to introduce more complications than advantages.:)

A ship with specialty restaurants and a main dining room is the best of both worlds. It serves those who like a familiar table and wait staff and those who want a different atmosphere and totally different food options each night.

That is how I feel exactly.

I also enjoy eating in the MDR but I think a dining plan like Disney would be interesting. I haven't been on Disney but I understand they have several different types of dining rooms (no charge) that you can pick from.

I also find that an interesting concept. You can rotate between different themes for no charge.

If the dining room is scaled down or completely replaced with specialty dining I would consider it only if the majority of the specialty dining options were for no additional charge. The number of fee based restaurants on the Allure or Oasis would be fine, but no more. On our cruise on the Allure we plan to eat in specialty dining three nights and the other four in the MDR.

I might add that is a big change for us as on previous cruises we have eaten one night in specialty dining and all of the others in the MDR. But, with the choices on the Oasis Class we are wanting to try a bit more. The dining packages offered make that a bit more appealing.

As suggested on another thread a little while ago...how about a "No Time Dining" option for those who don't want to go to the MDR but do not want MTD either?

This would be awesome. On our last Explorer cruise, we asked for a large table, and we were placed one, but the other family didn't show up for the entire cruise. We sat in a semi-circle on one side of the table, but it was kind of awkward. We asked to be moved (no smaller table was available) or to have the table made smaller (they couldn't do that bc they had to keep the seats available "in case" the others showed up) or to have the table divided (they couldn't do that bc the late seating needed the larger table and changing it between seatings was not possible).

So, we were stuck at a large table by ourselves because the others had to take a dining option they had no intention of using (it would have been better for them to request MTD because then no one would be inconvenienced by their choice)

And yet despite what you have been saying for years, the "included" options haven't gotten smaller and smaller, though the alternative dining venues have expanded significantly. Perhaps your future as a prognosticator is becoming more and more limited.:rolleyes:

I always knew that you had it in you to make me laugh out loud!!:D:D:D:D

Im not sure they would do away with the MDR completly. Even the king of pay dining the Epic still has 2 MDR's.

Maybe one for early/late seating on 1st deck and one for MTD on 2nd deck and maybe top deck for pay venues

As suggested on another thread a little while ago...how about a "No Time Dining" option for those who don't want to go to the MDR but do not want MTD either?

This would be awesome. On our last Explorer cruise, we asked for a large table, and we were placed one, but the other family didn't show up for the entire cruise. We sat in a semi-circle on one side of the table, but it was kind of awkward. We asked to be moved (no smaller table was available) or to have the table made smaller (they couldn't do that bc they had to keep the seats available "in case" the others showed up) or to have the table divided (they couldn't do that bc the late seating needed the larger table and changing it between seatings was not possible).

So, we were stuck at a large table by ourselves because the others had to take a dining option they had no intention of using (it would have been better for them to request MTD because then no one would be inconvenienced by their choice)

I would say add the "no time dining" to see how many people choose that option, then "size" the dining rooms to match what is reality?

On our last sailing, the table next to us (a table for 8) had 2 people at it the whole cruise. We had a full table, otherwise we would have asked them if they wanted to sit with us. They looked so dejected every night :(. If people are not going to show a night or two I can see having a place saved for you, but if you know you won't be dining there, why make everyone else pay for it with the empty seats?

I think the MDR needs to and will stay, but can see it getting smaller.

On our last sailing, the table next to us (a table for 8) had 2 people at it the whole cruise. We had a full table, otherwise we would have asked them if they wanted to sit with us. They looked so dejected every night :(. If people are not going to show a night or two I can see having a place saved for you, but if you know you won't be dining there, why make everyone else pay for it with the empty seats?

My guess it that they don't want to pay gratuities. If you do MTD, you have to pay in advance. Sad.

I utilize the MDR as much as I possibly can! I eat breakfast there every morning and lunch on sea days and my meals there every night. I just dont care for the Windjammer other than the fact it has been about the only venue for lunch on boarding day on the ships I have been on so far.

I too find the MDR experience one of the huge highlights of my cruise as well therefore I just would not sail on a ship that didnt have one.

Exactly my position.

In the 5 cruises I have been on in the last 2 years, I have eaten dinner in the buffet once. I have had breakfast in the buffet maybe 4 times, and lunch only on embarkation days.

The amount of dining options aboard ships is steadily rising. The floating rumor regarding Project Sunshine includes a greatly reduced or completely absent Main Dining Room. With the number of specialty restaurants and a (somewhat) increasing distain for the MDR; how many would book a cruise aboard a ship lacking a MDR? Just wondering how people feel about this as cruise ships and cruise options evolve.

Completely absent MDR = completely absent cdamion

So, we were stuck at a large table by ourselves because the others had to take a dining option they had no intention of using (it would have been better for them to request MTD because then no one would be inconvenienced by their choice)[/quote]

Perhaps MTD was full and the people had no choice as to when they were scheduled. I rarely eat in the main dining room and usually choose MTD but on an upcoming cruise on the Oasis MTD was full and RCL just assigned me a dining time. The No Time Dining option might be a good alternative

The problem is a lot of people who do not plan on eating in the dining room at all don't want MTD because it forces them to pre-pay tips. Many feel that if they aren't eating in the dining room they do not need to tip the dining staff. Just another reason to have an option of no dining. Frees up spaces for those that truly do want one of the options. Its a no win situation the way it is now.

I've been saying for years that pretty soon, the only "included" food option will be the buffet...

As long as folks keep utilizing the "pay" restaurants, the "included" options will get smaller and smaller.

BINGO!!! Wait for it.........

I would like that option as well. The last two Royal Caribbean cruises my husband and I took alone, we never ate in the MDR. We ate in the specialty restaurants every night. On the only NCL cruise we ever took a couple years ago we never ate in the MDR did specialty venues every night.

When we took our extended family on a Royal Carib. cruise last year we ate in the MDR every night because we had children in our group. The service was so SLOW. The servers were very nice but when the service is so slow it takes the enjoyment out of the Dining Room.

I don't know if they have cut back on number of servers or kitchen staff but I have noticed the service suffer over the past few years.

Personally I'd be fine withour the MDR as I rarely eat there but I certainly understand the importance of it to most cruisers.

Would I book a trip on a cruise ship with a good selection of specialty restaurants and no MDR? Sure!

I agree with this poster. To each their own. Once you start eating in the specialty restaurants exclusively it is hard to go back to the MDR. So for me a ship w/o an MDR wouldn't be off limits. Although if we were paying for all our kids and grandkids it could become very expensive to eat in pay venues every night. The cruise prices would have to stay competitive with the other mainstream cruise lines.

I hit every speciality restaurant on the Oasis and none were memorable to me. I can't think of one that I would "have" to go to again. This is excluding Portofinos or Chops. I love those restaurants and like to go to each at least once on each cruise. I like the food in the MDR, I just look for the night with the worst menu and book Portofino or Chops. And if they were to get rid of MDR, no way could all the other eating venues handle the thousands of diners.

Before MDR disappears I suspect first there will be a trend toward sectioning the MDR into menu zones - especially on the ones with multiple levels. They already have different names for different levels on most ships so easy to make that mental transition. Different menu zones would have different upcharge. Sort of like more cost for suites or higher level of wine package. Each "level" would have an expanded menu such as with the items such they are now charging extra for (steak or lobster) plus menu from lower level(s). When you book cruise you book it with MDR level so cruise pricing would be tiered. In effect MDR becomes a specialty venue but on a whole cruise basis. Perhaps suites become automatically a higher tier.

Would be like the olden days of different classes. Us in the Steerage Society know where we will be. ;)

Could be, but is seems waaaaaaay to confusing;)

And if they were to get rid of MDR, no way could all the other eating venues handle the thousands of diners.

That is a good point. The specialty venues would just become multiple large dining rooms, running into the same problems as the traditional versions and taking away the more intimate personalized service and food preparation we all are willing to pay extra for now.

The problem with the extra empty spaces in the MDRs is going to become worse with more specialty options, though. We were ones who were one couple stuck at a large table by ourselves for an entire cruise once. It was awkward. The others never showed up again after the first night. We spent the rest of the cruise hoping we had not offended them in any way. We now plan to go with MTD if it is just the two of us cruising to avoid that again. However, we seem to end up cruising with friends more and more lately. And, Traditional Dining seems to work better with a group. That way we all know where to meet each evening, and our table is already ready for us. If we are a very large group as some of our Roll Calls have become (and we link our reservations together for the purpose of dining) we can have multiple tables placed near each other and we can trade seats from night to night so we can visit with everyone.:)

Having a NTD option would allow for those who plan to only utilize the buffet and other options to do so and the MDR would be able to be scaled back in size and seating. Of course, those booking late may be forced to have an option they do not care for once the TD & MTD are filled up. They may love the traditions of traditional cruise dining but find they are forced out of the dining rooms altogether.

I was looking at the Celebrity Summit for a cruise and they do this. They have a section of the upper level of the dining room reserved solely for people in "Aqua Class" cabins. Separate entrance, menus, and table settings. This bugs me a bit and was a consideration when I booked Brilliance at a higher cost for a similar cruise.

I was looking at the Celebrity Summit for a cruise and they do this. They have a section of the upper level of the dining room reserved solely for people in "Aqua Class" cabins. Separate entrance, menus, and table settings. This bugs me a bit and was a consideration when I booked Brilliance at a higher cost for a similar cruise.

Why would this bug you? It's a separate restaurant. They pay more for those cabins, and one of the extra benefits is to eat in Blu. We've cruised on several of those ships--never in Aqua Class. We always ate in the MDR, and the food and service have always been wonderful.

I'd like to go to the Concierge Lounge too, but I don't book suites and I'm not yet Diamond Plus. It doesn't bug me.

Why would this bug you? It's a separate restaurant. They pay more for those cabins, and one of the extra benefits is to eat in Blu. We've cruised on several of those ships--never in Aqua Class. We always ate in the MDR, and the food and service have always been wonderful.

I'd like to go to the Concierge Lounge too, but I don't book suites and I'm not yet Diamond Plus. It doesn't bug me.

What bugs me is that it seems to be the start of a trend that minimizes the MDR experience for us 'steerage' travelers. I fully acknowledge that Celebrity's MDR food is still just fine, but I can see a day where those seated in MDR don't get the escargot or lobster while those in higher classes like Aqua Class do. I don't want to be supportive of that, that's all.

It's not a major deal breaker, but it still bugs me.

I still may switch to Summit because right now Concierge Class is even less than the balcony I have reserved on Brilliance.

EDIT: Actually, Im not really a fan of different classes on cruise ships. I don't really care about better cabin amenities or suites, but I don't like when entire venues are unavailable to steerage folks. For example on Princess the entire observation lounge is closed off to all except Commodore level (which I happen to have) in the hours before dinner. I would not like it if the entire Viking Crown Lounge on RCI was unavailable because I haven't sailed on that line enough yet. I have no problem when a section of a lounge is closed off like RCI does on the older ships. A small lounge like the Radiance Class ships have doesn't bug me at all though.

• 1 month later...

I like the main dining rooms. In a typical 7 night cruise, we will eat there at least 4 times, maybe 5. Usually will do one or two of the premium restaurants and one night at the Jammer.

If they had no MDR, would every night result in an upcharge?

Archived