No MDR???

Would you cruise aboard a ship lacking a Main Dining Room?  

254 members have voted

1. 1. Would you cruise aboard a ship lacking a Main Dining Room?

• Yes, sounds like an innovative and exciting proposition.
    • No, I enjoy the atmosphere, food, and service.
    • Not sure, I have reservations about my options or cost.

The amount of dining options aboard ships is steadily rising. The floating rumor regarding Project Sunshine includes a greatly reduced or completely absent Main Dining Room. With the number of specialty restaurants and a (somewhat) increasing distain for the MDR; how many would book a cruise aboard a ship lacking a MDR? Just wondering how people feel about this as cruise ships and cruise options evolve.

We always eat in the MDR, traditional early. We enjoy the main dining room experience, and we have no issues with the food that is served there. In fact, our family feels that dinner in the MDR is often the highlight of our cruising days!

We have no use for specialty restaurants - no need to pay more money when there's perfectly good food already included in the price. Our budget cannot afford to be stretched further for this totally unnecessary additional expense.

We absolutely would not cruise on a ship that did not offer a traditional MDR dining option.

Just curious... What's the source of your "floating rumor." No sense discussing it if it isn't going to happen!

On our 2 previous cruises (Freedom & Adventure) both captains mentioned the possibility of a greatly reduced MDR contained within the prospects.

We always eat in the MDR, traditional early. We enjoy the main dining room experience, and we have no issues with the food that is served there. In fact, our family feels that dinner in the MDR is often the highlight of our cruising days!

We have no use for specialty restaurants - no need to pay more money when there's perfectly good food already included in the price. Our budget cannot afford to be stretched further for this totally unnecessary additional expense.

We absolutely would not cruise on a ship that did not offer a traditional MDR dining option.

I agree 100%

Neither would I :) I enjoy the specialty dining as a one time thing while on a cruise but I am in no way interested in specialty dining the whole cruise and I am ABSOLUTELY NOT interested in dining in the Windjammer the whole cruise either.

It would depend. I really dislike the MDR, but I would not want to be forced to pay for specialty just to enjoy a decent meal. The price would either have to be discounted enough to make it financially viable for me as a customer, or I would expect several more "included" food options beyond just Windjammer and one or two other not-so-great options. I would have to see a formal proposition before deciding completely, but considering I am not a huge MDR fan, I probably wouldn't have an issue with it unless it would cost me significantly more to get the same food.

A ship with specialty restaurants and a main dining room is the best of both worlds. It serves those who like a familiar table and wait staff and those who want a different atmosphere and totally different food options each night.

I've been saying for years that pretty soon, the only "included" food option will be the buffet...

As long as folks keep utilizing the "pay" restaurants, the "included" options will get smaller and smaller.

And yet despite what you have been saying for years, the "included" options haven't gotten smaller and smaller, though the alternative dining venues have expanded significantly. Perhaps your future as a prognosticator is becoming more and more limited.:rolleyes:

On our 2 previous cruises (Freedom & Adventure) both captains mentioned the possibility of a greatly reduced MDR contained within the prospects.

Don't see this happening. MDRs are the main dining venues in addition to the Buffets. There would be a huge revolt, with a resulting precipitous drop in bookings. I can see other cruise lines using this as a huge marketing advantage, too.

So again, I can't see this even remotely happening.

My wife and I have found the MDR experience a highlight on some of our cruises. We even prefer the MDR for lunch over the Windjammer for lunch on at sea days. We have liked meeting and sharing the table with other couples. We have liked our interactions with our wait staff. We have learned a lot about their countries and their experience working aboard the ship. While the menus become somewhat predictable after having done a few cruises, we still enjoy the meals. We do not use the specialty dining. We would be extremely disappointed if our only options were the Windjammer or pay extra.

My wife and I have found the MDR experience a highlight on some of our cruises. We even prefer the MDR for lunch over the Windjammer for lunch on at sea days.

I utilize the MDR as much as I possibly can! I eat breakfast there every morning and lunch on sea days and my meals there every night. I just dont care for the Windjammer other than the fact it has been about the only venue for lunch on boarding day on the ships I have been on so far.

I too find the MDR experience one of the huge highlights of my cruise as well therefore I just would not sail on a ship that didnt have one.

I utilize the MDR as much as I possibly can! I eat breakfast there every morning and lunch on sea days and my meals there every night. I just dont care for the Windjammer other than the fact it has been about the only venue for lunch on boarding day on the ships I have been on so far.

I too find the MDR experience one of the huge highlights of my cruise as well therefore I just would not sail on a ship that didnt have one.

We do too. Hate fighting my way through the Windjammer--folks act like they will never get to eat again. Much more relaxed and enjoyable in the MDR.

So, are they becoming more like NCL? :eek: We tried that once--never again. The food in the MDR was inedible. They really pushed the alternative restaurants--at an extra fee, of course.

We love the MDR and getting to know our tablemates.

Although there are some who constantly claim that food and service in the MDR has deteriorated considerably from the "good old days", I have seen no evidence of it and don't think it can be compared to what goes on at NCL at all. RCI continues of build ships with large multi-level main dining rooms and I don't expect to find the Sunshine project ships have deviated from that design. :) Certain captains seem to delight in making controversial claims that most frequently turn out to be totally wrong, and unless they spend their time between rotations, roaming the halls of the executive offices, I have serious doubts that they know much more about future plans for RCI than your cabin steward, the assistant waiter, or the maintenance persons on the ship.

While my husband and I dislike getting all dolled up for formal night (and thus skip it because we don't have a tux and evening gown), we do like the dinners in the MDR. It is nice to get dressed up (for us anything more than jeans and a button down shirt) and have a leisurely dinner. It is nice to meet people from other places. We are sort of shy folks and the MDR experience forces us to socialize and we have thoroughly enjoyed our company. We even eat several breakfasts and lunches there. I am not a fan of buffet food. It is hard to keep up the quality because as it sits, while it stays warm, the quality starts deteriorating.

There have been extra dining options on 2 of our other cruises and from what I hear, Rhapsody just got that in dry dock. The only time I considered making a reservation in the optional for fee venue is for the mystery dinner which was going to be on our cancelled B2B. I was going not for the food, but for the fun.

Personally I'd be fine withour the MDR as I rarely eat there but I certainly understand the importance of it to most cruisers.

Would I book a trip on a cruise ship with a good selection of specialty restaurants and no MDR? Sure!

Although there are some who constantly claim that food and service in the MDR has deteriorated considerably from the "good old days", I have seen no evidence of it and don't think it can be compared to what goes on at NCL at all. RCI continues of build ships with large multi-level main dining rooms and I don't expect to find the Sunshine project ships have deviated from that design. :) Certain captains seem to delight in making controversial claims that most frequently turn out to be totally wrong, and unless they spend their time between rotations, roaming the halls of the executive offices, I have serious doubts that they know much more about future plans for RCI than your cabin steward, the assistant waiter, or the maintenance persons on the ship.

I hope you're right! We love RCI MDR food and service. :)

Before MDR disappears I suspect first there will be a trend toward sectioning the MDR into menu zones - especially on the ones with multiple levels. They already have different names for different levels on most ships so easy to make that mental transition. Different menu zones would have different upcharge. Sort of like more cost for suites or higher level of wine package. Each "level" would have an expanded menu such as with the items such they are now charging extra for (steak or lobster) plus menu from lower level(s). When you book cruise you book it with MDR level so cruise pricing would be tiered. In effect MDR becomes a specialty venue but on a whole cruise basis. Perhaps suites become automatically a higher tier.

Would be like the olden days of different classes. Us in the Steerage Society know where we will be. ;)

Certain captains seem to delight in making controversial claims that most frequently turn out to be totally wrong

That's a really good point! Even so far as to mention that details of Project Genesis were continually changed/modified. IMO it seems as though the competition between cruise lines creates for a degree of "counter intelligence" aired by the staff.

Archived