Packed Lunch for excursions

jtsbusiness

Has anyone had experience bringing some food into Thailand?

We have a private tour scheduled - starting at 10:00am - and since there will not be time for a lunch stop on the first day of an overnight tour to Bangkok (in order to see certain sites which close early), our tour guide suggested that we bring some food or snacks with us from the ship. She said that there would be no problem bringing food from the ship.

I've been on 60+ Caribbean cruises and indeed know you shouldn't take food off any where.

I've been to both states so can you honestly say "you will most likely have to go through an agricultural inspection." Sorry, but I think not.

You think wrong. There are ag check points at every major entry point into California. I have lived here all my life. Who do you think you are questioning those of us who know the facts? I don't care how many Caribbean cruises you have taken. You obviously are ignorant of the laws that protect our incredibly valuable agriculture industry. Get a grip.

We have a private tour scheduled - starting at 10:00am - and since there will not be time for a lunch stop on the first day of an overnight tour to Bangkok (in order to see certain sites which close early), our tour guide suggested that we bring some food or snacks with us from the ship. She said that there would be no problem bringing food from the ship.

You can't believe some random tour guide. I've done cruises that included Thailand and we were warned not to bring any food off the ship except for factory packaged goods.

Bring your own pre-packaged, sealed snacks with you when you board the ship (or pick some up at a port) and then take them off with you, rather than trying to make a sandwich at breakfast and find that you can't take it after all and there you will be, left with nothing at all. Agree -- don't listen to the local tour guide in this instance.

I thought being an American ship travelling in American waters, it would be alright. What would be the problem?

Sorry, I just don't understand these rules. Probably being very naive!:o:o:o

The same problem that certain states have and why they prohibit transportation of certain foodstuffs from one state to another. Introduction of undesired plants, pests, etc. is not limited to crossing international borders. You may not understand the reason for the rules, but you are now aware of them and I would hope that through this knowledge alone, you would refrain from violating the prohibitions.:) The prohibition will be spelled out quite clearly by the ship in its daily activities letter and probably at the exit point of the ship.

I've been on 60+ Caribbean cruises and indeed know you shouldn't take food off any where.

I've been to both states so can you honestly say "you will most likely have to go through an agricultural inspection." Sorry, but I think not.

You can persist in blissful ignorance but perhaps you should refrain in spreading misinformation (as pointed out by several California residents and others who have more personal experience). I can recall similar inspections some years back when we drove from one area in Florida to another when the citrus industry was being threatened by invasive pests. Perhaps you should check your own state's history regarding this subject.:)

There are also items that are prepackaged in the buffet area that I always take onshore because I am diabetic. There are small round sealed containers of peanut butter, jelly, honey, butter, sugar packets, and I always bring my snacks from the flights (nuts, chips, etc.). Like others, however, I always bring snacks from home and/or buy them precruise once we've arrived at the port. You can also order canned beverages from room service (Ginger Ale is helpful for sea and car sickness). If you really don't want to lug anything onboard, you can preorder prepackaged snacks and have them delivered to your stateroom. I think there's a "junk food" package that offers packaged candy in it (expensive, but convenient). We almost always bring soda crackers (individually packaged).

Thai food is one of finest and priceworth food of the world. They also have very safe and clean places to eat even on simple restaurants. If I were you I would negotiate with the guide to arrange a place where they would wait with simple thai food like a green chicken curry or a coconut soup. By the way you will have to tell them not to do it hot, I mean chili hot.

Now, there is a problem in any country to take food out of the ship, because of sanitary reasons. Your guide probably means you might not get controlled by doing it, but do you really want to risk contaminating a nice and friendly place like the places you will visit in Thailand?

Thai food is one of finest and priceworth food of the world. They also have very safe and clean places to eat even on simple restaurants. If I were you I would negotiate with the guide to arrange a place where they would wait with simple thai food like a green chicken curry or a coconut soup. By the way you will have to tell them not to do it hot, I mean chili hot.

Now, there is a problem in any country to take food out of the ship, because of sanitary reasons. Your guide probably means you might not get controlled by doing it, but do you really want to risk contaminating a nice and friendly place like the places you will visit in Thailand?

Excellent suggestion. Thanks so much. If our guide can't do this easily, we will just bring prepackaged nuts and power bars from home.

To those who live in California and Arizona, I apologize for my earlier posts. Re-reading them I did indeed come off as being too sarcastic and Madame Know-It-All. I was just surprised that most vehicles that enter California each day are inspected by the agi-board. That has to be a staggering amount.

As I am indeed a Floridian, I'm very aware of the agricultural inspection points on the interstates upon entering FL. Though trucks are always stopped, we have never been.

Again, I apologize for my off putting tone.

It is illegal to bring many kinds of fresh foods into the US unless declaring them and having them approved by local authorities. You can bring factory sealed items such as granola bars, crackers, candy bars etc.

It is not an American ship; all major cruise ships are foreign flagged (NCL's Pride of America being the only exception). Bringing food of a cruise ship onto US soil equates to importing food and it needs to be declared and cleared by local authorities.

I'm surprised this isn't highlighted in the Compass, or maybe I'm just missing it. Please see below:

http://beyondships.com/files/JOS_port.PDF

Driving from Oregon to California there's an inspection point right on I-5. It's not a myth

I echo this and yes they actually do inspect produce--right down to checking the little sticky labels from the store if they are still attached--some domestic items can come in (or back in, since they were likely grown in CA, others not). I have also had to surrender produce when my private sail boat pulled into moorage in Canada. These rules are not just harassment. The Apple maggot and other pests have destroyed large swaths of productive orchards. Non native critters invading and destroying natural and cultivated land are an enormous problem as the world shrinks and travellers come tramping from everywhere to everywhere--respect the countries you visit.

I believe you still get individual boxes when you order cereal for room service. We always enjoy them on the balcony.

Mike

Yes; now I remember! I got lowfat granola from room service and saved it as an excursion snack.

:)

Page two, below the Pool Policy, there is a box says Please Note. It states there that it is strictly prohibited to bring food on or off the ship. This is a Royal Caribbean document, but Celebrity dailies say much the same thing.

Thanks, that certainly seems to state you can't bring any food on either. Honestly, I have never read that box before. It is quite restrictive isn't it.

Am I mistaken, or do they make a bigger issue than that statement at some ports?

I echo this and yes they actually do inspect produce--right down to checking the little sticky labels from the store if they are still attached--some domestic items can come in (or back in, since they were likely grown in CA, others not). I have also had to surrender produce when my private sail boat pulled into moorage in Canada. These rules are not just harassment. The Apple maggot and other pests have destroyed large swaths of productive orchards. Non native critters invading and destroying natural and cultivated land are an enormous problem as the world shrinks and travellers come tramping from everywhere to everywhere--respect the countries you visit.

We were checked entering CA from OR last year. The nice young lady inspector asked about any food we had. We declared oranges but since they were from CA, there was no problem.

But a friend of mine was carrying a banana in her bag when she entered Chile a couple of years ago. Cost her $400 in fines and a special stamp in her passport saying she was a food smuggler. Chile is serious.

We were checked entering CA from OR last year. The nice young lady inspector asked about any food we had. We declared oranges but since they were from CA, there was no problem.

But a friend of mine was carrying a banana in her bag when she entered Chile a couple of years ago. Cost her $400 in fines and a special stamp in her passport saying she was a food smuggler. Chile is serious.

About twenty five years ago I arrived into San Francisco International airport from Egypt. In my carry-on I had placed an orange that I had purchased at a local fruit vendor before getting on the plane. Upon arrival as SFO I nonchalantly worked my way through customs until a cute little Beagle decided that my bag was the most interesting thing in the entire terminal. Yep, the orange was still there! Fully expecting to eat it on the plane, I completely forgot all about it. Other than the embarrassment of being pulled aside, with a stern looking officer and his very attentive dog at my side, with all those people in line waiting to see me handcuffed and hauled off to jail, no serious harm was apparently done and the orange was thrown away and I we let go with a warning to be more careful next time. Lesson learned!!!

When we moved back to California from Idaho, I brought my carefully tended hanging geraniums in the moving van. Never even thought about them till we stopped at the CA border and the inspector made us toss them out. We lived at 6200', way too high for almost any bug; and in our valley they grew seed potatoes because the altitude made them better growing stock due to the lack of pests--didn't matter, out went the flowers. Made me very sad. They were beautiful plants.

Archived