Packed Lunch for excursions

jtsbusiness

In the past we have been unable to take a packed lunch off the ship because we were visiting various islands. Is it possible to take a packed lunch off the ship if you are visiting Alaska as you would not be cross contaminating anything.

We will be in concierge class and I wondered whether I could order sandwiches to take off the ship for lunch when we go on our excursions.

Thanks

It is illegal to bring many kinds of fresh foods into the US unless declaring them and having them approved by local authorities. You can bring factory sealed items such as granola bars, crackers, candy bars etc.

I thought being an American ship travelling in American waters, it would be alright. What would be the problem?

Sorry, I just don't understand these rules. Probably being very naive!:o:o:o

It is not an American ship; all major cruise ships are foreign flagged (NCL's Pride of America being the only exception). Bringing food of a cruise ship onto US soil equates to importing food and it needs to be declared and cleared by local authorities.

I thought being an American ship travelling in American waters, it would be alright. What would be the problem?

Don't worry -- it's easy to be confused by these things. But, as an example, there are states within the contiguous US that ban importation of produce. If you cross the border into California (from any other state), you will most likely have to go through an agricultural inspection station -- so, be sure to eat the apple you saved for lunch, before you get there! :p

It's always best not to risk taking something prohibited off the ship. Some countries have steep fines -- and DO conduct inspections of passengers and their bags, as they come off the ship. In Alaska, you should be able to find some great restaurants for lunch -- with MUCH fresher fish on the menu than you'll find on the ship! :cool:

Are there pre-packaged items on board that can be taken off or would these be items we've purchased and brought on board?

These would be things you've brought on-board with you. Lots of people bring snack items - granola bars, cracker/cheese combos, power bars, etc for consumption on-board or on tours, etc. No sealed/packaged food on-board - although there are a few snack type items in the gift shop for exorbitant prices!

In each of the ports in AK it is easy to find both great restaurants or convenience/grocery stores to pick up snacks.

Enjoy!

The only pre-packaged items I've ever seen are bags of chips and snacks, sometimes candy bars, for sale in the gift shop area. If you need to have food with you, suggest you bring your own granola bars, or trail mix, or whatever will keep you going on shore. Some need to have a snack to keep their blood sugar stable, and these will do and are easy to bring along with you, then you'll know you'll have the brands and flavors you like.

The only pre-packaged items I've ever seen are bags of chips and snacks, sometimes candy bars, for sale in the gift shop area. If you need to have food with you, suggest you bring your own granola bars, or trail mix, or whatever will keep you going on shore. Some need to have a snack to keep their blood sugar stable, and these will do and are easy to bring along with you, then you'll know you'll have the brands and flavors you like.

Thanks. We will probably bring a little onboard, along with bottled water, when we embark in Vancouver.

If you cross the border into California (from any other state), you will most likely have to go through an agricultural inspection

Are you serious, California has check points at "most" roads where you will "likely" go through an agricultural inspection? Sorry, but I find this really hard to believe.

As to the OP's question, I have sailed from one US port to another and have never seen the warning of bring produce or food off the ship as you do on disembarkment day. My experience has been New England cruises out of Boston stopping in Portland and Bar Harbor Maine and cruising out of New York with stops in Boston and Bar Harbor.

Haven't seen those on Celebrity for quite some time. Maybe some ships still have them, but mostly I've seen large containers of the different cereals, not the individual boxes. Less packaging, less storage, less waste, I guess.

You are correct, Celebrity doesn't have the boxes but other cruiselines do. Royal Caribbean and NCL come to mind.

It's the same reason why you can't take food off the ship in Hawaii. It's all agricultural laws. One unseen bug can devistate an entire area. Just look at the bugs that have invaded the US and have done major damage. The stink bug comes to mind, a bug accidentally brought here that's devastating our fruit and vegetable farmers.

Are you serious, California has check points at "most" roads where you will "likely" go through an agricultural inspection? Sorry, but I find this really hard to believe.

As to the OP's question, I have sailed from one US port to another and have never seen the warning of bring produce or food off the ship as you do on disembarkment day. My experience has been New England cruises out of Boston stopping in Portland and Bar Harbor Maine and cruising out of New York with stops in Boston and Bar Harbor.

Have you ever been on a Caribbean cruise? If not, you haven't experienced anything. There's written warnings in the daily newsletter not to take food off the ship. I have seen local security checking bags. The cruise director has come over the loudspeaker warning people not to take food off the ship.

California and Arizona DOES have agricultural inspection stations. You've obviously never driven there. I've lived there.

Regarding California border agriculture inspection stations:

"California’s Border Protection Stations (BPS) are the first line of defense in our pest exclusion efforts. At these stations, vehicles are inspected for commodities infested with invasive species. California established its first agricultural inspection stations in the early 1920s. Today there are 16 of these facilities located on the major highways entering the State (see interactive map). At these stations, vehicles and commodities are checked to ensure they are pest free and meet all regulatory requirements.

In 2010, more than 27.5 million private vehicles and 7 million commercial vehicles were inspected at the BPS. From these vehicles, inspectors rejected over 82,000 lots of plant material (fruits, vegetables, plants, etc.) because they were in violation of California or federal plant quarantine laws.

From these interceptions, inspectors found and submitted 12,152 specimens (i.e., insects, diseases, weeds, mollusks and vertebrate animals) to CDFA’s Plant Pest Diagnostics Lab for identification — over 1,820 of these specimens were exotic invasive species capable of causing serious damage. Among these were: Gypsy moth, emerald ash borer, quagga mussel, imported fire ant, cherry fruit fly, Japanese beetle, spotted knapweed, bagworm moth, and weevil (just to name a few)."

All this and more here:

http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/plant/pe/ExteriorExclusion/borders.html

Have you ever been on a Caribbean cruise? If not, you haven't experienced anything. There's written warnings in the daily newsletter not to take food off the ship. I have seen local security checking bags. The cruise director has come over the loudspeaker warning people not to take food off the ship.

California and Arizona DOES have agricultural inspection stations. You've obviously never driven there. I've lived there.

I've been on 60+ Caribbean cruises and indeed know you shouldn't take food off any where.

I've been to both states so can you honestly say "you will most likely have to go through an agricultural inspection." Sorry, but I think not.

I've been on 60+ Caribbean cruises and indeed know you shouldn't take food off any where.

I've been to both states so can you honestly say "you will most likely have to go through an agricultural inspection." Sorry, but I think not.

Driving from Oregon to California there's an inspection point right on I-5. It's not a myth

Well, who are you going to believe? Someone who lives there, or someone from Florida who "has been there". I'll believe the person who lives there, thank you very much.

In fact, I do live in California, and yes indeed, all major highways crossing the border INTO California have agricultural inspection stations. Can you cheat and find a way to circumvent them like a coward, sure you can. But entering by all major highways will require going through the inspection station found on each highway.

card00539_fr.jpg

i-010_wb_exit_243_04.jpg

You are correct, Celebrity doesn't have the boxes but other cruiselines do. Royal Caribbean and NCL come to mind.

I believe you still get individual boxes when you order cereal for room service. We always enjoy them on the balcony.

Mike

Well, yes -- I'm not sure that I get your point. :confused:

All I have to base my opinion on is living in CA for over 30 years, and traveling by car to all of the neighboring states. If you have personally had other (contradictory) experiences with the California Agricultural Inspection stations, I'd love to hear about that.... :rolleyes:

Whether you have seen it or not, they are there and it is ILLEGAL!

Have you ever disembarked at a port (most anywhere) and noticed canines? These dogs may not only be searching for drugs they may be trained to search for fruits and vegetables.

Have you ever flown through San Juan and had to stop at the USDA station to have your luggage checked?

Have you ever seen ship's personnel checking your totes, purses, camera bags, backpacks etc. when you reboard? There are many times when they do ask when you disembark too.

Sometimes the search is subtle and often it is very obvious - for a reason. I can think of quite a few ports where passengers have been stopped for these violations. Barbados quickly comes to mind. Private excursion guides have also been known to inquire about foodstuffs there.

These restrictions are for all of us. They protect our food sources as well as the countries we visit. I remember many times crossing the California and Arizona borders with the mandatory auto inspection. This used to be done in Florida too - eons ago. We also have had inspections at the Canada-US border.

I can go on and on.

Please accept the rules as presented by the cruise lines and airlines as you travel.

Archived