Staggered Boarding in Seattle

1025cruise

Me too! We are staying at the Moore hotel and they don't even have air conditioning!!! Much less Bell desk.........oh well, that is what makes life fun, everyone is different.

I hope every one does keep us updated on their experience in Seattle.

I'm staying there too! I checked just now, and their site says they can store bags in the back room for a limited time...

Edited by gdisney

gdisney.........thanks for checking! I was almost sure they would not have any sort of thing.......haha. When are you sailing? We are on the star, July 22nd. Nice and hot Seattle with no air conditioning! Anyway, I hope princess figures out the boarding mess by then.

Oh, much earlier for me - June 3. Their site also says you can check out fans from the front desk :)

Never been to that hotel, or Seattle for that matter, but someone else on these forums had recommended it.

2fercruzin-

We are sailing on the Golden in May on the Fiesta Deck and were told today to check back in "a couple days" for an updated personalizer message that would list our deck/boarding times. I'm glad that I checked the board today since the new times may affect our scheduled transportation to the pier.

Edited by adalia

2fercruzin-

We are sailing on the Golden in May on the Fiesta Deck and were told today to check back in "a couple days" for an updated personalizer message that would list our deck/boarding times. I'm glad that I checked the board today since the new times may affect our scheduled transportation to the pier.

Hello...

I'm on the same cruise as 2fercruzin....also on the Fiesta Deck. I called Princess and was told to check back in a few days for an updated schedule on the Cruise Personalizer. I was also told something to the effect that we would not be turned away if we showed-up early. In other words, the staggered schedule will be "voluntary". I told her that I found that was hard to believe due to the wording of the announcement. Information regarding this new program is confusing and inconsistent. I guess we'll see in May.

Oh, she also said they've expanded the program to Seattle as it's been so successful in San Francisco.

B

Edited by bellebaby

The entire tone of this discussion simply blows my mind. Take a moment and really give it some thought. Then answer the following questions.

1. Why would Princess do this?

2. Is it for their benefit?

3. Is is for the benefit of their passengers?

4. Was it designed to eliminate a problem or create one?

5. Was there a problem there before?

6. If it turns out to create more problems then it solves, do you think it will be continued?

7. What about continuing with some modification?

Now my answers;

1. To make the boarding process smoother with less standing in line waiting.

2. To make for fewer impatient upset customers who complain loudly.

3. Same as 2.

4. Defiunately to eliminate a problem, as there is no cost benefit.

5. Not always or in all locations, but sometimes yes there was.

6. Absolutely not, since the only benefit is to the customers, if it does not provide a benefit, why would they continue it?

7. Perhaps, I believe it is still a work in progress.

Any good company is always trying to make things better for their customers, especially in the competitive marketplace. If there was never a problem, this process would never have been attempted. Princess is not a company known for making stupid decisions.

IMHO this is much todo about nothing.

Matcodixon, maybe. But, the people who have experienced the staggered boarding don't think it is much ado about nothing. It was a horrible way to start their cruise and that is the main thing. They were rushed away from the pier, not able to eat lunch, not able to make the reservations that are made once on ship, etc. So, to them it was bad. Maybe Princess has changed things already, but I think that it is definitely worth talking about. 1. It gives people a heads up. 2. It helps future cruisers to make decisions about their pre-cruise itinerary. 3. It shows Princess that many people are not happy about it. So, it is a good subject, IMO, and definitely needed to be talked about.

The entire tone of this discussion simply blows my mind. Take a moment and really give it some thought. Then answer the following questions.

6. If it turns out to create more problems then it solves, do you think it will be continued?

Now my answers;

3. Same as 2.

6. Absolutely not, since the only benefit is to the customers, if it does not provide a benefit, why would they continue it?

Any good company is always trying to make things better for their customers, especially in the competitive marketplace. If there was never a problem, this process would never have been attempted. Princess is not a company known for making stupid decisions.

If you really believe what you have just written, I will tell you just two things.

1. It is NOT practical for anyone, other than those who live in the port city.

Our little city runs inexpensive cruise buses to our home port, taking about five hours, getting to the port between 1.30pm and 2.00. These would be rendered useless!!!

2. You may be right in one respect, boarding MAY be smoother, but the reason will be that LESS persons would cruise Princess. If they give my wife and I ANY trouble, Princess will have seen us for the last time, and I will be telling that to the Future Cruise Rep. on board in no uncertain terms!!!

john

P.S. to me it seems nothing more than a very stupid April Fools Joke.

j

Sorry I willnot reserve a cruise if it has staggered boarding. I know it doesnt hurt the cruise line but I think it is time yo tell all these travel providers enough is enough. If it means no morecruising then so be it. I didnt miss it for 55 years of my life and can find adifferent way to enjoy mytime and travels. I absolutely refuse to ho anyfirther with travel. I know it wont matter one bit but I am tiredog beingconsidered cattle by travel providers.

Now my answers;

3. Same as 2.

The system was not broken to begin with and now that they're attempting to fix an unbroken problem, it really is breaking down it seems.:rolleyes:

It could be much ado about nothing if you aren't the one experiencing long unnecessary waits that would not have otherwise existed BUT for the new, improved staggered boarding. I can't even begin to imagine how much fun it will be if staggered boarding is adhered to in Seattle, having been to that port just last year and know from personal experience that there is nowhere to hang out after droppingn off your luggage, except under the corrugated awning to protect you from the rain. Why, there isn't even a Starbucks at that cruise terminal, yet there is a Starbucks on every corner everywhere else in that city.:eek:

Edited by 4cats4me

I'm looking forward to the cruise and will just go with the flow as far as boarding. I learned many cruises ago that when you start off in a bad mood, it takes a while to rebound into the cruising mood, which is a much more fun mood ; ) The buffets will be there when I get there!

Sorry I willnot reserve a cruise if it has staggered boarding.

All the people who have posted here about receiving the notice about staggered boarding did book the cruise when there was the old regular boarding.

For many, it was only after final payment that they received notice of this new boarding process.

Now my answers:

1. Absolutly no idea. Maybe since Disney does it, Princess thought it was a good Mickey Mouse idea.

2. No

3. No

4. Often there were long lines when check-in would first open as noon approached which is why Princess suggested checking in after 1 PM to avoid crowds. Obviously, those in line before noon want, for whatever reasons, to get on board as close to the start of boarding as possible. Maybe Princess thought this would reduce the early crowds. It has mainly upset those who like to board as soon as possible.

5. No

6. No idea. Some stupid ideas have a very long life.

7. The main modification needed is to drop the idea totally.

I wonder how much they pay the idiot who thought up this brain dead policy. When pax start arriving only to be told they cannot board for several hours, I wonder how well that will be received. I anticipate long lines at customer relations with angry pax. Good move Princess. All the other cruise lines appreciate it!

I asked this in another thread relating to this topic, but I don't think it was answered. The question is related to US ports only. I've seen some examples that list the final check-in time is 30 minutes before the all on board time. Even 60 minutes could be a problem, depending on the number of passengers that need to board on the last time.

Is this onboard time the same time that all passenger info has to be submitted to Homeland Security? I believe the manifest has to be submitted either 90 minutes or 2 hours prior to departure. It is also my understanding from previous posts on various boards that passengers are not allowed to check in after that time.

So my question is if it is true that for US ports the last boarding time is 30 minutes prior to this time, what would happen if they cannot get these passengers checked in by the 30 minute deadline. Would they be forced to deny boarding to the remaining passengers or would they have to request the port allow them to leave later to meet the Homeland security requirement to receive the manifest?

While I know no one here can really answer this, but just something that I would worry about if I were one of the passengers stuck with the last boarding time. I would hope that Princess has taken this into consideration and the onboard time has the cushion to ensure all passengers can be checked in and Princess can meet the Homeland Security requirements.

We are sailing June 9 on the Golden. My personalizer says both boarding times. On the top it says 12-3, and on the bottom has the staggered times. In my opinion, that sends a very mixed message. Had I not read these boards, I never would have even noticed the staggered boarding times. As of yet, I have not received an email from Princess to board at a specific time.

What really interests me is that after reading hundreds of cruise reviews, the same message always stands out: "embarkation was smooth and efficient". Being that is the case time and again, why on earth would Princess even consider messing with it?

I asked this in another thread relating to this topic, but I don't think it was answered. The question is related to US ports only. I've seen some examples that list the final check-in time is 30 minutes before the all on board time. Even 60 minutes could be a problem, depending on the number of passengers that need to board on the last time.

Is this onboard time the same time that all passenger info has to be submitted to Homeland Security? I believe the manifest has to be submitted either 90 minutes or 2 hours prior to departure. It is also my understanding from previous posts on various boards that passengers are not allowed to check in after that time.

So my question is if it is true that for US ports the last boarding time is 30 minutes prior to this time, what would happen if they cannot get these passengers checked in by the 30 minute deadline. Would they be forced to deny boarding to the remaining passengers or would they have to request the port allow them to leave later to meet the Homeland security requirement to receive the manifest?

While I know no one here can really answer this, but just something that I would worry about if I were one of the passengers stuck with the last boarding time. I would hope that Princess has taken this into consideration and the onboard time has the cushion to ensure all passengers can be checked in and Princess can meet the Homeland Security requirements.

They do need to submit the passenger manifest to Homeland Security, but they typically have this together beforehand because everyone enters the information online (hopefully). If someone doesn't than they would need to check-in 90 minutes before so Princess can supply the necessary info.

Now if someone didn't enter this all online and had a 2:30 check-in time for all aboard by 3pm, they don't have a lot of time to sort out any potential issues. I have seen some problems (documentation, on board account setup/credit card issues) all of which could take longer than 30 minutes to resolve.

Sure, you really should have all this organized beforehand, but things do happen, and not everyone is aware of what is needed when they arrive at the pier. Who knows what Princess would do in this situation. I would imagine if someone arrived at 12 and was turned away and then had a problem when they came back at their "assigned" time closer to departure they would be quite upset if they don't have enough time to resolve it, but would have at 12.

BTW, I have never had a problem boarding either, but I have not been on nearly as many cruises as some of you have. I just find it hard to believe that there was not some problems that Princess was trying to solve by instigating this process. I am a real believer in "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

I also believe that if this creates more problems than it solves, it will go away soon. Princess is not stupid.

Also, It seems, like someone else mentioned, that those that like to get there early so that they can be the first to book up the Sanctuary and have lunch in the MDR are the ones that object the loudest. Perhaps some of them objected loudly to the early long lines I have heard about. If so, perhaps they created this?

Edited by Matcodixon

We are sailing June 9 on the Golden. My personalizer says both boarding times. On the top it says 12-3, and on the bottom has the staggered times. In my opinion, that sends a very mixed message. Had I not read these boards, I never would have even noticed the staggered boarding times. As of yet, I have not received an email from Princess to board at a specific time.

Exactly! Of course the staggered thing won't work well when the most prominently thing displayed on the paperwork is that they're NOT doing it. Talk about creating confusion...

(For the record, I prefer the - let's call it "traditional" - boarding process to this idea of staggered boarding. ;) )

BTW, I have never had a problem boarding either, but I have not been on nearly as many cruises as some of you have. I just find it hard to believe that there was not some problems that Princess was trying to solve by instigating this process. I also believe that if this creates more problems than it solves, it will go away soon. Princess is not stupid.

Also, It seems, like someone else mentioned, that those that like to get there early so that they can be the first to book up the Sanctuary and have lunch in the MDR are the ones that object the loudest. Perhaps some of them objected loudly to the early long lines I have heard about. If so, perhaps they created this?

Princess has made quite a few changes in the last year, some popular some not so popular, but this one most will agree is not a good one. Having sailed with Princess many, many times we have earned an early boarding privilege. Sorry to those of you on your first Princess cruise, but several of us have shown loyalty to the line and it's a small perk to board early, that is nice to have. Under the staggered boarding system, we would now be forfeiting one of the most important perks. It's kind of like the airlines where you have earned the frequent traveler privilege and you get to use the shorter line. You are being rewarded for your loyalty to the line.

It's not good enough to me that you may now board by priority within the scheduled category. In fact, the system they've set up makes absolutely no sense at all, arbitrarily choosing which decks go first, which decks go last. Last year it was not a mandatory staggered boarding, it was suggested. But lately it sounds as if it's mandatory on paper but not adhered to once you get to the port, depending on the sailing, and on other sailings it sounds mandatory on paper and actually IS enforced at the port.

As for myself, I DON'T board early so that I can book sanctuary, chef's dinner or any of the many things that some early boarders like to do, but I would like to see the frequent cruiser perk of priority boarding remain intact.

Princess, you mess with the balcony furniture on Caribe and decided to reverse yourselves. Please rethink this, too.

Edited by 4cats4me

For many, it was only after final payment that they received notice of this new boarding process.

I booked two weeks ago, and received no sort of notice. I only found out about this from Cruise Critic...

I'm not exactly sure if they plan to do staggered boarding on my June 3 cruise or not. My booking confirmation says 12-3pm. My cabin assignment email (was a GTY booking) says 12-3pm. The most easily found info on my Cruise Personalizer online says 12-3pm. But, yes, if you dig into the Personalizer deep enough, you can find a note about how Princess does staggered boarding. So, who knows?

Like I said on another post, on my several cruises, I have never complained about waiting and I have never heard anyone else complain either. But, having said that, I am not really the complaining type either. The only reason this matters so much to me is that I talked two other couples into going with us, telling them how great it is and now, we won't be able to take a cab from our hotel together, board together and I won't be able to help them get their cruise started in the way I said I would. I actually talked to them at length this weekend and one couple is actually considering canceling before final payment is due. (There are also other problems, not just staggered boarding, but it may have thrown the balance because this would be both of their first cruise and they have not traveled much, so?). Anyway, the only reason things will change is if Princess knows their loyal, and even first time cruisers, don't like the new policy..........Are you listening princess? We don't like it!

If you go later with them or them later with you would Princess turn you away? I'd guess not since you need to get on the ship. So, if your boarding is at 1p and theirs it at 2p you could just wait and still all go together I'd bet.

Of course, I don't know anything... I'm just guessing. I think they're always happy to have people come later.

Tom

Like I said on another post, on my several cruises, I have never complained about waiting and I have never heard anyone else complain either. But, having said that, I am not really the complaining type either. The only reason this matters so much to me is that I talked two other couples into going with us, telling them how great it is and now, we won't be able to take a cab from our hotel together, board together and I won't be able to help them get their cruise started in the way I said I would. I actually talked to them at length this weekend and one couple is actually considering canceling before final payment is due. (There are also other problems, not just staggered boarding, but it may have thrown the balance because this would be both of their first cruise and they have not traveled much, so?). Anyway, the only reason things will change is if Princess knows their loyal, and even first time cruisers, don't like the new policy..........Are you listening princess? We don't like it!

The main reason I like to board early is that this is Day 1 of the cruise. Since Princess counts it as Day 1, then I'd like to be on board to enjoy it, especially since I've paid for it.

I know I'm being petty, but if I've paid for a 7-day cruise, then I'd like to be able to enjoy lunch on board, relax, unpack, have a drink, etc. I shouldn't have to buy lunch or bottled water or snacks while I'm "lugging" my luggage (or at least my carry-ons) around with me, then board right before sailway, drop off my carry-ons, rush to my muster station for the safety briefing, then rush back to the cabin and try to unpack so I can rush to the dining room for dinner. That is definietly not my idea of how I'd like to spend the first day of my vacation cruise.

If I can't embark until right before sailaway, then I'm scheduled for disembarkation in the first group, I feel like I've lost an entire day, like I've paid for a 7 day cruise, but only got 6.

(On the other hand, 6 days on a cruise is definitely better than 6 days at work :D.)