Staggered Boarding in Seattle

1025cruise

SO the main thing that Princess needs to do is to change the wording on their announcement to something similar to this:

If you wish to avoid long lines at check in, we have set up a list of recommended times based on cabin decks:

Insert times and deck names.

Problem Solved!

I am 90% with you on this. However, IF there is a real crowding issue that can exist at certain ports, Princess has to reserve the right to shoo people away on the one-in-a-hundred chance that way too many people arrive at 10:30. The kinder wording would cause a problem in such a case.

I am 90% with you on this. However, IF there is a real crowding issue that can exist at certain ports, Princess has to reserve the right to shoo people away on the one-in-a-hundred chance that way too many people arrive at 10:30. The kinder wording would cause a problem in such a case.

Jimmy

I can see how that could happen,, It is still a work in progress..:rolleyes:

We just did this on the May 27th sailing and it worked out great. We were through the lines by about 11a and on the ship around 11:30a. We had our room right when we got on the ship and our luggage by around 1p. I can see where this sort of thing is necessary in Seattle. The port is a real drag. It's tough to park, very crowded, and extremely understaffed. It's also difficult to get to the port if you are driving your own car (lack of signs, off ramp kind of obscure, etc.) Our GPS took us to a dead end street based on the address on our documents, but fortunately, we could see the ship off in the distance so we made our way to it eventually.

I can't imaging the pandemonium if everyone showed up at the same time here. It was over the top crowded with people leaving from the previous cruise and people arriving for the first section of boarders as it was. The only other thing they may be able to do is just start boarding everyone at around 1p after the previous cruise clears out and that might work if everyone doesn't show up early.

I don't know about other ports, but our experience at Seattle was good with the staggered boarding. Of course, easy for me to say since we were scheduled to get there at 10:30a.

FWIW, they ran the buffet all day so even if you got on later you could still get some food right away. You may just have a later lunch than some others, but there was plenty left.

Tom

Has anyone gone through staggered boarding in Seattle? Apparently, Princess is requesting that do staggered boarding in May to get on board the Star. Though, the fact that you have to click through 5 things to get to the announcement, makes me wonder.

I figure I need to check out of my pre-cruise hotel by X time, and the only logical place for me to go is the port.

I spoke with the person in charge of future sales on Coral Princess and was told that

a. It may not last.

b. It does NOT apply to Platinum or Elite, or to families on different decks.

My reply was that I still thought that it was unfair to starter cruisers, and some cruisers were at the point of leaving Princess.

john

I for one am totally against staggering times especially if you just traveled a long way to get to the port & all you want to do is start your vacation.

And by all reports, you go to the port and board when you get there.

The Staggered boarding is a suggested time to avoid long lines. If this makes it easier for you to board when you arrive, is this still something you are totally against? If so Why? Is it the thought? or is it based on personal experience?

Edited by Matcodixon

Previously our travel summary mentioned staggered boarding for the Golden this Sunday, but now I do not see the notice. Does anyone know if they decided not to do it?

It has disappeared from our June 23rd boarding as well.

The Staggered boarding is a suggested time to avoid long lines. If this makes it easier for you to board when you arrive, is this still something you are totally against? If so Why? Is it the thought? or is it based on personal experience?

Nobody objects to this when it is a "suggested" time.

But some of the recent message from Princess have included statements such as

o "you will be turned away if you arrive before your scheduled time"

o "you may drop off your luggage, but will not be allowed inside the terminal until your scheduled time"

o "priority boarding will only be during your scheduled boarding group time"

These do not sound like suggestions, but if these are not enforced, then those affected are happy.

Edited by caribill

I may be OK for locals, IF they don't want an early meal on board, or do not wish to book the 'Chef's Table', or Sanctuary, but consider-

Out of towners have to leave their hotels by 11.00am, who will pay for their food if they can't board 'til 3.30pm? It is difficult for many of us to get to the dock at a reasoable time, with or without Princess dictating as to what time a person should, or shoud not turn up.

No, it does not apply to myself, but that IMO discriminates against new cruisers. I have found that boarding falls into three categories,' the rush before the rush', then 'the rush itself', and then 'the rush afer the rush'.

I have been in all three, and the time seems about the same, so, 'Why fool with Mother Nature?'

john

but consider-

Out of towners have to leave their hotels by 11.00am

More important is that many out-of-towners will arrive at the airport hours before the staggered check-in time. Will the Princess xfers leave them at the airport for hours or take them to the pier where they can wait for hours.

Previously our travel summary mentioned staggered boarding for the Golden this Sunday, but now I do not see the notice. Does anyone know if they decided not to do it?

I just checked and it is gone from our 7/21 departure too! It still says check for staggered ckeck in times but the list of decks and times has been removed. All the complaints seem to have paid off, looks like a dead issue for now.

I spoke with the person in charge of future sales on Coral Princess and was told that

a. It may not last.

b. It does NOT apply to Platinum or Elite, or to families on different decks.

My reply was that I still thought that it was unfair to starter cruisers, and some cruisers were at the point of leaving Princess.

john

This is great news, concerning Platinum and Elite. Thanks for this good news.

I just checked and it is gone from our 7/21 departure too! It still says check for staggered ckeck in times but the list of decks and times has been removed. All the complaints seem to have paid off, looks like a dead issue for now.

Sounds like great news!!!:)

john

Yes, it is gone from mine, too. Yippee!!!

If there is a big problem with people lining up as they show up, they

should treat it like a theme park fast pass.

If there is enough room for people to line up -- let them.

If there isn't, as people show up, give them a card with a time

that they will be able to return and check-in.

That's first come, first serve, and mostly solves the problem.

If there is a big problem with people lining up as they show up, they

should treat it like a theme park fast pass.

If there is enough room for people to line up -- let them.

If there isn't, as people show up, give them a card with a time

that they will be able to return and check-in.

That's first come, first serve, and mostly solves the problem.

Sounds like a great answer! And based on reports, this would not happen very often, as most ports do not have a problem.

Then, what is the earliest time that I can board the Star? I will be on it next month and am platinum.

I liked to be on the ship as asap because hey, I paid for it and want to enjoy every minute of it!

Then, what is the earliest time that I can board the Star? I will be on it next month and am platinum.

I liked to be on the ship as asap because hey, I paid for it and want to enjoy every minute of it!

My wife and I like to get on the ship as early as possible too. We try to get to the terminal around 10:30am. On most of our cruises, they began loading around 11:30, and we were having lunch in the Horizon Court Buffet by noon. Edited by Jasperdo

On Coral out of Vancouver we got on about noon time last month. All our paper work was done before this, but we had to wait about 20 minutes until the ship was ready.

The reason for our early arrival was that we were staying with our son and we had to catch a little ferry to the mainland.

One other time there was a BIG delay when we arrived at the same time, and passengers were mad at Vancouver. It was not until we got on board that we found the reason from a fellow passenger, who in turn knew one of the port staff. There was a b--b scare, which was not announced, so as not to cause a panic. My wife told me that she was happy, not to have been told.

john

HOw do you get to the secret back door? Is it after security? Thank you!

It's not really a secret back door, LOL. After you clear security, then you check in. The woman at the counter directed us to a door that bypassed the much longer queue to board the ship. Another woman kept insisting that we go to the long line because she hadn't heard anything about priority boarding, so I nicely told her that we were going to try it our way but if we were incorrect, she'd see us on the way back. We weren't and she didn't.:)

We just did this on the May 27th sailing and it worked out great. We were through the lines by about 11a and on the ship around 11:30a. We had our room right when we got on the ship and our luggage by around 1p. I can see where this sort of thing is necessary in Seattle. The port is a real drag. It's tough to park, very crowded, and extremely understaffed. It's also difficult to get to the port if you are driving your own car (lack of signs, off ramp kind of obscure, etc.) Our GPS took us to a dead end street based on the address on our documents, but fortunately, we could see the ship off in the distance so we made our way to it eventually.

I can't imaging the pandemonium if everyone showed up at the same time here. It was over the top crowded with people leaving from the previous cruise and people arriving for the first section of boarders as it was. The only other thing they may be able to do is just start boarding everyone at around 1p after the previous cruise clears out and that might work if everyone doesn't show up early.

I don't know about other ports, but our experience at Seattle was good with the staggered boarding. Of course, easy for me to say since we were scheduled to get there at 10:30a.

FWIW, they ran the buffet all day so even if you got on later you could still get some food right away. You may just have a later lunch than some others, but there was plenty left.

Tom

Were they actually having staggered boarding or did you just show up and board? Did somebody check to make sure you were coming at your appointed time? We had no such experience ourselves. But perhaps it's a moot point now.

Was someone going topless where they shouldn't?

LOL!:D Let's see if bomb is really a forbidden word or somebody typed something they shouldn't have. Nope!

Edited by critterchick

• 2 weeks later...
It's not really a secret back door, LOL. After you clear security, then you check in. The woman at the counter directed us to a door that bypassed the much longer queue to board the ship. Another woman kept insisting that we go to the long line because she hadn't heard anything about priority boarding, so I nicely told her that we were going to try it our way but if we were incorrect, she'd see us on the way back. We weren't and she didn't.:)

Hi critterchick,

Thanks for the great information. In case our "woman at the counter" is more like the other woman that hadn't heard about priority boarding door, would you tell us where it is in relation to the check in counters?

My travel agent got an "emergency notification" e-mail from Princess yesterday regarding our booking. We cruise out of Seattle this Sunday.

The only thing that was different on this pdf from the earlier payment confirmation, etc. was a notice that they would be doing staggered boarding.

I called Princess to make sure there wasn't something wrong with the booking to cause the "emergency notification" that wasn't reflected on their notice. The agent said, nope. The notice was sent to inform people about their staggered boarding times. I said I didn't like the wording, it didn't sound like much of an emergency to me and was unnecessarily alarming.