Documentation ?

JustJamie0418

Ok.

So I booked in my Legal Name as it is on my Drivers License. This is different from my maiden name. ( I was married and divorced and kept that name) I am now getting remarried on May 26th, Cruising on May 28th. I have my raised seal Birth certificate. What else do I need?

Ok.

So I booked in my Legal Name as it is on my Drivers License. This is different from my maiden name. ( I was married and divorced and kept that name) I am now getting remarried on May 26th, Cruising on May 28th. I have my raised seal Birth certificate. What else do I need?

There is a link in my signature, and at the bottom is a link for females dealing with this issue.

Basically, you need to bring a paper trail. They may not ask for it, but they sometimes do.

Your exact situation is why I got just the passport card.

It wont matter that you're getting married the 26th unless you plan to change your license. Book it in your now name and bring along the papers you need.

Book the cruise in the name on your IDs...I've never needed my marriage cert......no married woman's name is the same as your BC....they are looking at birth dates. You're fine.

While you were fine, people have been denied boarding for not having the right papers.

Ok.

Do you have a passport? Many cruise lines are saying it's best to have a passport as it's really the best form of identification. Just my 2 cents worth! We renewed ours several years ago just so we can rest easy!

Jamie,

You are going on Carnival and they very rarely ask for the entire paper trail of name changes. You need your cruise to be booked in the name on your ID. That and your birth certificate should be all you need. If you are going to worry about it, then by all means take the first marriage license to prove the name change.

Take notarised copies of your paper trail, not the originals. Or better still call your cruise line and alert them to your change of name statusand have them email you a list of documents they require for you to board the ship. Take the email as well as the docs with you.

Cheers, h.

Before I got my passport, I used a maiden name BC and a married name DL. About half the time, I was asked to produce a "bridging document" to connect the two names (one of those times was on our Carnival cruise). Thankfully, I had my marriage license with me.

Just get a passport. It's easier. And NOT a passport card. Those things are really only good if you're driving to Mexico/Canada. Yes, they take them on cruise ships, but if for some reason you miss the boat or get sick off ship you are screwed. They are never accepted for flying anywhere.

Jamie,

You are going on Carnival and they very rarely ask for the entire paper trail of name changes. You need your cruise to be booked in the name on your ID. That and your birth certificate should be all you need. If you are going to worry about it, then by all means take the first marriage license to prove the name change.

Thanks, Would a Divorce decree work as well? My marriage was in another state, and while I can order it from there it would be easier to use my divorce papers ( I already have those)

I wanted to get a passport, but the cruise was kind of a last minute deal, we sail in 44 days.

Yeah, I guess 44 days is cutting it close.

I've been married 4 years and still haven't changed my name on my passport for these reasons. It's such a hassle!

What would happen to the documentation rules if MEN had to change their names and go through all this?

Yeah, I guess 44 days is cutting it close.

I've been married 4 years and still haven't changed my name on my passport for these reasons. It's such a hassle!

What would happen to the documentation rules if MEN had to change their names and go through all this?

Using a passport is really the best and easiest way. You just book your cruise and airline flights with whatever name is on your passport, and that is it.

No bridging documents, no birth certificates, no name changes required at all.

Can you imagine what a hassle it would have been for someone like Elizabeth Taylor if she had needed to deal with the names of all those husbands when traveling. ;)

Thanks, Would a Divorce decree work as well? My marriage was in another state, and while I can order it from there it would be easier to use my divorce papers ( I already have those)

I wanted to get a passport, but the cruise was kind of a last minute deal, we sail in 44 days.

Yes, as long as you have a paper trail that connects the name on your BC with the name on your cruise reservation.

Archived