Bringing Medicine??

MissMichelle

I have a few prescriptions that I need to bring on our upcoming Miracle cruise...Do they have to be in their original containers with my name on them or can they be in a "pill box"?

I would bring them in the original bottle, but a lot of people use a pill box with no problems. One thing you can do is, ask your pharmasist for smaller bottles with your scrip on them, tell him you are traveling. Or you can ask him for a printout of your medications so you can show they are prescribed to you. Pills are identified by size shape and color, sometimes with numbers or letters stamped on them, so they can be identified without the bottles.

If it is a controlled substance (narcotic) such as oxycodone, xanax, etc. You'd better have it in the original bottle just in case you get searched by customs.

Maintenance drugs like blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. I just bring in a pill box.

Thanks! None are narcotics....I battled (and beat!) thyroid cancer last year....but now have quite a few prescriptions to take daily (a total of 15 pills) ....I find if I don't organize them in a pill box i forget to take them as I'm supposed to....lol

Thanks! None are narcotics....I battled (and beat!) thyroid cancer last year....but now have quite a few prescriptions to take daily (a total of 15 pills) ....I find if I don't organize them in a pill box i forget to take them as I'm supposed to....lol

Congratulations on your victory! Enjoy your cruise.

I don't meant to start a long discussion but it has been stated on this board at different times that people have had their medications thrown away by over zealous custom agents, I believe it was, anyway it was one of the agent that search luggage because they were not in the original containers. I used to not carry mine in the original containers because mine come in the mail and I get a 3-mo. supply so the bottle are large. However, after reading this I started bringing them. I do take the risk of putting them in the pill box too because like Miss Michelle, I take so many it is hard to keep them organized as to which to take when if I don't. If they take them and throw them away at least I will have my others. They will be throwing away a lot of money but I just hope they don't. I am going to take the risk.

If it is a controlled substance (narcotic) such as oxycodone, xanax, etc. You'd better have it in the original bottle just in case you get searched by customs.

Maintenance drugs like blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. I just bring in a pill box.

As a wife of a pharmacist. Good call. All controled substances need documentation. OP stated that none were narcotic but agents are not neccessary trained to know the difference. Could be luck of the draw. I would take original bottles and sort them after you board just to be safe.

I carry my "pile of pills" in a daily container inside a zip lock bag. Plus, I have the tear-off prescription receipt, that names the scrips on them, in the bag,also. (Liquids, of course, go in a one quart bag.);)

As a wife of a pharmacist. Good call. All controled substances need documentation. OP stated that none were narcotic but agents are not neccessary trained to know the difference. Could be luck of the draw. I would take original bottles and sort them after you board just to be safe.

This is what I would do

I always bring mine in the original bottles. I too get a 90 day supply and the bottles are large. For our Glory cruise, we stayed in Florida the week after the cruise. On the third day, I had emergency surgery for an aneurysm. We had to stay in Fl for two extra weeks aftrer I got out of the hospital before the staples could be removed. I was glad I had all of my meds with me or I would have been in trouble trying to get replacements for them.

I carry my "pile of pills" in a daily container inside a zip lock bag. Plus, I have the tear-off prescription receipt, that names the scrips on them, in the bag,also. (Liquids, of course, go in a one quart bag.);)

We do the exact same thing, and have never had a problem. Just a hint - we also put rubber bands around the am/pm 7 day pill holder we use, as the little compartments sometimes pop open, and we have a pile of pills to re-sort at the bottom of the baggie!:) The rubber bands make sure they can't open.

I always take my pain medication in original bottle--if I didn't have those, I'd be in a world of hurt (pun intended :o). The few others I take, I put in a smaller bottle or a small pill box because, like others I get a 90-day supply and the bottles are very large. I've never had an issue and have traveled internationally quite a bit for work. I had read the most strict immigration in regard to medications was in China and I took everything in original bottles. They didn't even open my bag. :p I've never even had an official question them, but I'll still bring the pain meds in the original bottles just in case.

That's great. Hope you have a Happy Cruise. :):)

I fix up a one week supply in pill sorter, but also bring all prescriptions in original bottles just so I have them if needed.

Me too but I take Xanax also so I keep that in the original bottle and take it as needed on the ship. That way if they throw out my meds in the sorter I still have my Xanax. I too get a 90 day supply and I take 14 different prescriptions so its a pain to carry them all but better safe than sorry if something were to happen.

No matter how any of you carry your medications, please be sure to carry them in your carry-ons because you never know what might happen to your checked luggage. Just to be on the safe side. I never am separated from mine. There is some of mine that I cannot do without. Just a friendly reminder. ;)

Neither DH nor I take narcotics. I bring my pills in a weekly day by day container and DH puts his (fewer than mine) in a script bottle.

DH takes Enbrel for his psoriasis and we take the shot in the original box so if there is a question, he has the info ready. We only take pills for a week and a day unless our cruise is longer than that.

We put all meds in our carryon, going and coming. So far, we haven't had a problem, but we only sail to the Caribbean.

Archived