We Saw Two Costa Ships and .......... Blue Hulls??

sail7seas

I think the two ships were Costa Atlantica and Costa Luminosa and both very much appeared to be far less than good occupancy. We watched how many people came down and up the gangways, how folks on verandas, how many lights in how many cabins, how many on deck waving/watching as we sailed away etc

Those ships were far from full and some of us speculate Costa is truly struggling.

Predictions anyone?

They have at least one ship being built.

They have a full fleet.

Will they survive?

Will any of their ships ultimately be painted BLUE HULLS?

I say it just could happen one or more could join HAL's fleet?

What do you think?

(Keep in mind, HAL has not (yet) announced any new builds, any steel cut for a new ship.)

KK......

You have misunderstood my post.

It is SPECULATION!!!!

I did not say the hulls had been painted but asked if any thought Costa, perhaps not surviving, could end up with some of their ships being sent to HAL.

The hulls would THEN be painted IF, IF they joined HAL's fleet.

Speculation and requesting conversation as to other's thoughts on the matter.

I'm curious how they are as a cruise line in general? Were they popular and doing well before the Concordia?

I think they were doing pretty well.

About 5 years ago, on a Princess cruise, I saw with two women at afternoon tea. We talked about what our favorite lines were. The Irish woman said her favorite was Cunard (and she had some disparaging remarks about the disorganized mess that passed for afternoon tea on Princess). She also said her least favorite was Costa, and would not sail with them if you handed her a ticket. The other woman at the table said Costa was her favorite.

So there you go. Different lines for different people.

Sail, do you think there are markets into which HAL would like to expand?

I don't think the fact that the gangways were not very busy are indicative of whether or not the ship was full. Our Costa cruise was sailing at full capacity in March but never did see queues at gangways maybe because there were usually 2 open or because Costa passengers do not book excursions and therefore do not leave or return enmasse. In fact, there were never queues or crowds at any time except for lifeboat muster.

Even breakfast was a breeze - loved it:)

I agree that ONLY looking at gangway traffic tells little.

But observing, through binnoculars provided in our cabin, how empty the pool was, how few seemed to be seated at lunch tables, how few folks were on verandahs, how few cabin lights were on, how few lined the rails to watch us sailaway in addition to a very quiet gangway gives a fair perspective of a far from full ship.

It is usual to see lots of folks watch other ships in port sail away.

I know we often stand on our verandah or a public railing to watch other ships sail and loads of other folks do the same.

I am reporting only my personal observation and I paid attention as it was something about which I had been wondering......... how bad an impact did the 'event' have on Costa's bookings?

I read they are very popular in Europe and especiallly Italy where their cruisers are very loyal. I believe I read on the Costa board that in Italy they don't say they're taking a cruise, they say they're taking a Costa.

They have been around a very long time.

I think they were doing pretty well.

About 5 years ago, on a Princess cruise, I saw with two women at afternoon tea. We talked about what our favorite lines were. The Irish woman said her favorite was Cunard (and she had some disparaging remarks about the disorganized mess that passed for afternoon tea on Princess). She also said her least favorite was Costa, and would not sail with them if you handed her a ticket. The other woman at the table said Costa was her favorite.

So there you go. Different lines for different people.

Sail, do you think there are markets into which HAL would like to expand?

I have watched the last couple of years as HAL has moved out of the Caribban market -- check the itineraries and you will find that HAL is leaving earlier and earlier for Europe and Alaska and spends much less time in the Caribbean.

HAL is expanding their market in Europe.

Also notice that since there are fewer cruises to Mexico -- HAL is expanding their Australian/New Zealand markets as well.

KK......

You have misunderstood my post.

It is SPECULATION!!!!

I did not say the hulls had been painted but asked if any thought Costa, perhaps not surviving, could end up with some of their ships being sent to HAL.

The hulls would THEN be painted IF, IF they joined HAL's fleet.

Speculation and requesting conversation as to other's thoughts on the matter.

Okay -- now I understand.

to redecorate the interiors of the ships to go with the flow of HAL decor, if our cruise on the Atlantica several years ago is any indication of all the current Costa ships.

Yes, that is likely true.

However, how much would it cost HAL for a new build ship at this point?

I would bet that corporate Carnival is closely watching Costa, and already has an idea of where each of the ships would go in the case that they abolish the brand. But if they really do get into trouble, I think they would downsize first, sending some of the ships into the other lines. EM

I'm curious how they are as a cruise line in general? Were they popular and doing well before the Concordia?

Prior to the Concordia/Schettino debacle, I "knew" only two things about Costa:

(1) Their dance floors are second only to Cunard's. Consequently, most of the organized ballroom-dancing cruises are booked on Costa.

(2) Costa is quintessentially Italian and caters to an Italian clientele. As a result, all the good points and bad points associated with Italian culture are magnified in the Costa experience. One example that Anglo-Americans finds particularly exasperating is that the prevailing etiquette does not prescribe that those waiting to enter an elevator car wait until those exiting have left. Another example (also, unfortunately, on the negative side of the ledger) is that cigarette smoke is rampant. There either are no no-smoking zones or the smoking restrictions are universally flouted. One reviewer complained of smoke from the corridor seeping into her cabin and disturbing her sleep.

I've said from the get-go after their unfortunate disaster that I wouldn't be at all surprised if Carnival Corp would integrate the Costa ships into their other lines. I think it all depends on if and how they recover and how deeply this has tarnished their brand. If the brand is beyond repair I would think that Carnival Corp would end up ending the Costa name and integrating the Costa ships into their other lines...perhaps a few to Carnival, a few to HAL, etc. I don't believe that any of their ships fit the Princess model, but certainly have the same "bones" of the Carnival and HAL ships.

Perhaps a few more blue ships would be in the future...

:) :)

Prior to the Concordia/Schettino debacle, I "knew" only two things about Costa:

(1) Their dance floors are second only to Cunard's. Consequently, most of the organized ballroom-dancing cruises are booked on Costa.

(2) Costa is quintessentially Italian and caters to an Italian clientele...................

(3) Toga night, once a cruise usually on the last night, in the MDR:cool:

Archived