Reasons to Love HAL

HokiePoq

I've been reading other boards and that's caused me to reflect on some of the discussions lately. I've come up with these and know others will have many more based on more experience than mine, but here goes:

Self-service laundry on many ships (lifesaver on long cruises)

Fresh orange juice in the buffet

Great crew and safety record are a couple more that I see on other lines as well with one glaring exception of late.

I know there are many more to add to the list. I am comparing HAL to other lines of like cost, not the luxury lines. Friend is trying to convince travel partner to go HAL and more reasons will help.

We've been with HAL for over 25 years and have also taken two Carnival Cruises. Following is a list of reasons we stay with HAL:

1.) Smaller ships

2.) Beauty of ships and their artwork

3.) Dutch crew is very polite and personable

4.) Cleanliness and staff is very attentive to passengers needs

5.) Phillipino staff is always smiling

6.) Indonesian dining room crew is the best

7.) Classey

8.) Private Island Half Moon Cay is the best

9.) Staterooms very comfortable

10.) Not classified as "party boat", we have fun but ships are not crazy like some?

I'm certain other cruiselines are just as nice in the eyes of those that have cruised with them but we choose to stay with HAL, one reason is the perks we get today after many cruises and don't wish to start all over with another cruiseline to gain their perks, if that makes any sense.

Good luck

HAL Mariner

I have only cruised Holland once but noticed a lot of differences. The crew on the Westerdam seemed to be very willing to help with my husband, who is in a wheel chair, they never acted like it was a bother to assist. The crew was amazing on this crise. I loved to hear the daily update from the Captain, who always seemed to be in a great mood and his updates were always very informative. Then I never saw any evidence of the dreaded "Chair Hog"... Then one of the most important thing was the coffee was drinkable. ;) I also loved the sail-away when the Captain kept blowing the horn, and I just loved that. Now I tell everyone I have a new favorite cruise line and it is Holland American. :)

Wow, that's a tough question. Where to begin...

Smaller ships than a lot of other mass-market lines. It's never a long hike from one end of the ship to the other. But if you like to walk, there's that lovely promenade deck that goes all the way around.

Small-venue music. The Adagio strings are a trio or quartet (it can vary) that play in the Explorer Lounge in the evening. On our last HAL cruise, it was SRO every evening. The Neptunes are a great jazz band that play in the Ocean Bar. The guys on Maasdam were fantastic. These are sort of house-brand bands. Every ship has Adagio strings and Neptunes. Also HAL Cats, but I'm not sure they're a selling point...

We've been with HAL for over 25 years and have also taken two Carnival Cruises. Following is a list of reasons we stay with HAL:

1.) Smaller ships

2.) Beauty of ships and their artwork

3.) Dutch crew is very polite and personable

4.) Cleanliness and staff is very attentive to passengers needs

5.) Phillipino staff is always smiling

6.) Indonesian dining room crew is the best

7.) Classey

8.) Private Island Half Moon Cay is the best

9.) Staterooms very comfortable

10.) Not classified as "party boat", we have fun but ships are not crazy like some?

I'm certain other cruiselines are just as nice in the eyes of those that have cruised with them but we choose to stay with HAL, one reason is the perks we get today after many cruises and don't wish to start all over with another cruiseline to gain their perks, if that makes any sense.

Good luck

HAL Mariner

Thanks, makes great sense to me and the friend. Friend will be three stars on next cruise and wants to stick with HAL. They haven't come out with Alaska cruisetours for 2013 and her friend is anxious to book now with a line that has the scheduled posted.

OK, I will give it a try at my top reasons for sticking with HAL:)

1. Aft Wrap Around Staterooms at a decent price!!

2. The Stateroom Stewards and the fantastic service they give us.

3. The Entire Crew who bend over backwards for us.

4. Smiles, smiles and more smile everywhere!!

5. The wonderful ambiance (which actually should be my 2nd choice but...) I compare the ambiance and elegance of HAL to the picture in my mind of the Titanic BEFORE she hit the Iceberg)

6. The ships. Easy to get around on them and easy to get on and off at most ports.

7. The food, always when you want it and almost always very good to excellent.

8. Ah Heck, I love everything about HAL and will stick with it forever:)

9. My HAL PCC who knows exactly what I want and does everything to make my cruise a wonderful time.

10. My Hubby!! Who pays for everything:)

Joanie

Why do I prefer HAL? Let me think...

Aft corner suites on Vista and Signature ships.

Ability to bring your own wine aboard.

Smaller ships than most comparable lines.

Larger cabins than most comparable lines.

Less passengers than on similar size ships on most comparable lines.

Impeccably clean and elegantly decorated ships. No gawdy colors or neon.

Semi-liberal smoking policy (but changing).

Decent food in the Lido and MDR.

Excellent food in the Pinnacle Grill.

Outstanding service throughout the ship.

Nice suite perks like laundry/cleaning and Neptune Lounge.

Amazingly friendly attitude from all crew members.

Relaxed and peaceful, rather than frenetic and partying.

There are probably more that I forgot.

How could I forget this one--very few announcements. On somelines, the CD or someone is always hawking an activity (Bingo in an hour! Bingo in a half hour! Bingo in 15 minutes! Bingo starts soon, get your cards!). On HAL, they trust you to read the daily program and keep track of what you want to do for yourself.

I've been reading other boards and that's caused me to reflect on some of the discussions lately. I've come up with these and know others will have many more based on more experience than mine, but here goes:

Great crew and safety record are a couple more that I see on other lines as well with one glaring exception of late.

I know there are many more to add to the list. I am comparing HAL to other lines of like cost, not the luxury lines. Friend is trying to convince travel partner to go HAL and more reasons will help.

I can think of several VALID reasons;

1. Itineraries. HAL has longer itineraries that sail out of and in to the USA -limiting the DREADED longer flights. [ see "Grand" cruises]

2. Size of ships. The HAL ships are between 1200 and 1800 passengers [ exception is Prinsendam] For many cruises -this wpu;dn't matter all that much but over the years you realise in "Comfort-Zone" for embarkation/disembarkation -dining room/mealtimes - major ship-planned activities.......numbers matter!

3. The CREW; I don't know how many times I've made THIS comment; the CARING and LOVING HAL crews from Indonesia and the Philipines -make ALL the difference in YOUR cruise experience.

;) Anne

I can think of several VALID reasons;

1. Itineraries. HAL has longer itineraries that sail out of and in to the USA -limiting the DREADED longer flights. [ see "Grand" cruises]

2. Size of ships. The HAL ships are between 1200 and 1800 passengers [ exception is Prinsendam] For many cruises -this wouldn't matter all that much but over the years you realise in "Comfort-Zone" for embarkation/disembarkation -dining room/mealtimes - major ship-planned activities.......numbers matter!

3. The CREW; I don't know how many times I've made THIS comment; the CARING and LOVING HAL crews from Indonesia and the Philipines -make ALL the difference in YOUR cruise experience.

;) Anne

1. Size matters they have 1/2 to 1/3 the number of passengers

2. you can bring on board wine and purchase liquor very reasonably

3. Outstanding beds and cabins.

4. Ships that look like ships not antfarms or vegas hotels..( no lawns or gardens ,carnival shows and rides !)

5. A well mannered group of polite and well traveled passenger

6 Laundry and laundry package for cheap.

7. numerous large deck areas and full walk around decks

8. classy decore, subtile colors.. feels up scale

9 piano bars not beer bars

10. they are not nickel and dime for everyhting

11. movie theater with popcorn..

12 excellent food in Lido with table cloths in the evening

13. less kids and party animals with gold chains

I was for years Regent passneger, tried Holland America and found it very nice. Tried Celeb....once was enough.. it felt like a combo of living in an ant farm and las vegas.

For us HAL is like a pair of well-worn but very comfortable pair of slippers.:D

We know that the cabin is large enough, the bed is comfortable, and the stewards are very good.

The food will be at least edible and occasionally very good.

The vast majority of fellow passengers will conform to expected standards, and we are free to either laugh at or ignore those who do not.

The Ocean Bar and Crow's Nest are both great places to have a drink.

Explorer's Lounge for a nice Irish Coffee and some very good music.

The wrap-around Promenade Deck, which is close enough to the water to reinforce that you really are at sea.:)

The crew.

Only downside is, with a few exceptions, crummy entertainment. For some this would be a deal-breaker. We don't care.;)

Edited by jimmy2x

I don't know the people you want to travel with, but if they enjoy a nice ambience then HAL is the cruise line for them:)

I love the art and displays on most of the HAl ships. Very elegant and nice.

Love the Adagio strings and who can argue with the choices of eggs benedict?

Let's not forget the cool cloths and iced water and tea as you come back from a hot shore excursion - or vice versa - in cooler spots - the warm towels and warm drinks waiting for you.

I've seen other ships at many ports (staying on mass market here) and only HAL does it:)

There are so many things that we take for granted on HAL - it's only when you sail another ship that you notice the difference.

Jacqui

I agree with what others have said, but am surprised no one has mentioned room service yet! Hot breakfast in the AM, dinner from the MDR menu at dinnertime, and 24-hour service in between, regardless of cabin category, with no hassle and no upcharge! (Except a reasonable tip for your server, which is optional, but IMHO, the decent thing to do.)

Yes to all the above--the wonderful Promonade deck, the crew, the food, the cabins, etc. but I would add:

1. warm, soft robes in EVERY cabin

2. fresh fruit in cabins on request

3. afternoon tea and my husband's beloved Cupcake Tea!

4. An Evening at Le Cirque in the Pinnacle Grill

5. Water, lemonade, & hot towels waiting for you when you board after a long day in port

6. Fantastic views from so many of the floors--not just the pool deck

7. Easy to find a quiet, secluded spot no matter the time of day

8. Something to do whether you're 28, 38, 48, 58 etc.

9. the Canvas totes they give you when you head out for the day

10. The Greenhouse Retreat and those wonderful heated ceramic loungers!

All of the above..

Surprised no one mentioned the lovely teak deck chairs on the Promenade Deck..Real towels (not paper in the rest rooms) & of course someone did mention the fresh flowers throughout the ship..The antiques & art work throughout..Crows Nest chaises,

Fresh popcorn in the movies, Huge shrimp cocktails in the Pinnacle, French Onion soup in the Pinnacle, Creme Brulee in the Pinnacle, & Bread Pudding to die for in the Lido! Scones w/clotted cream at tea..

Fresh Orange Juice in the Lido, Panama buns when going thru the canal & Pea soup when viewing the glaciers in Alaska & South Amer..Both served on deck..

$100 Future cruise credit is the only deposit needed on your next HAL cruise & it's good for 4 years..And if your friend buys 100 shares of Carnival stock she will get OBC's on every cruise..

Cheers...:)Betty

WOW - what a great thread. We've never tried HAL, but are seriously considering them in the near future. You've all convinced me to consider HAL. My only concern in the allowed smoking on the balcony. To many times this has ruined our experience (even smelled Pot on a RT Hawaii cruise before).

Edited by Suite-Life