Reasons to Love HAL

HokiePoq

You people have given many good reasons to travel with HAL. I have not come across one I disdagagree with.These are all valid points to which I can only "yes, yes, yes."

Edited by Himself

The only cruise line to always have a priest on board and daily mass. This is a huge point for some Catholics of being able to attend Sunday mass. Celebrity used to but stopped a few years ago. HAL is the only line I will sail now! Heading to Alaska July 1st on the Oosterdam! Can't wait!

The only cruise line to always have a priest on board and daily mass. This is a huge point for some Catholics of being able to attend Sunday mass. Celebrity used to but stopped a few years ago. HAL is the only line I will sail now! Heading to Alaska July 1st on the Oosterdam! Can't wait!

The priest missed the ship in SD for the Rotterdam cruise. But the staff made arrangements in each port for a service at a local Catholic Church until they flew a new priest to Tahiti for the last half of the cruise.

Someone mentioned Teak Promenade Deck. Isn't it true that many of the newer ships from the other cruise lines don't even have a Promenade Deck?

Also HAL has the best record or certainly one of the best for environmental management of their waste.

HAL also gives back to the community in which it cruises.

Off thread message to Storylady:

If you see this, please e-mail me at RuthCfromCC at Hotmail dot com

Thanks.

I lost your e-mail addy, and want to ask you about one of your upcoming cruises.

Off thread message to Storylady:

If you see this, please e-mail me at RuthCfromCC at Hotmail dot com

Thanks.

I lost your e-mail addy, and want to ask you about one of your upcoming cruises.

Hi RuthC and Storylady!!

:)

I like the folks I meet on the cruise, like the folks listed above!

Also, many, many of the things already listed. Peace of mind knowing I will have a great place to rest my head, fill my tummy and be pampered. :D

1. Best itinerary choices for our interests

2. Relaxed cruises on smaller ships

3. Very good to excellent food- best buffet we have tried (on many cruise lines)

4. Comfortable cabins- outstanding service

5. Library, Internet, Cafe areas- the best we have experienced

6. Like being on a Netherlands (Dutch) ship

I know it has been mentioned before, but having the ability to walk completely around the ship in comfort is wonderful. We've been on a line that had a Jogging Track that was at the top of the ship. You were in the sun or rain and buffeted by winds the entire time. Give me that wonderful Promenade Deck --- and the wonderful crew --- every time!

All of the above..

Surprised no one mentioned the lovely teak deck chairs on the Promenade Deck..Real towels (not paper in the rest rooms) & of course someone did mention the fresh flowers throughout the ship..The antiques & art work throughout..Crows Nest chaises,

Fresh popcorn in the movies, Huge shrimp cocktails in the Pinnacle, French Onion soup in the Pinnacle, Creme Brulee in the Pinnacle, & Bread Pudding to die for in the Lido! Scones w/clotted cream at tea..

Cheers...:)Betty

You just beat me to it :). I also love the bathtubs in most cabins and the wonderful crew.

1) The crew!

2) Mid-Sized ships

3) HAL's itineraries

4) The food -French Onion Soup, Creme Brulee, Escargot, etc

5) The spa!

6) Afternoon Tea

7) Beds in the staterooms

8) Pinnacle Grill

9) Mariner's Champagne Brunch

10) THE CREW! Yes, this is repeated but I had to say it again.

Chocolates.

Nightly, on your pillow.

Nightly, (sometimes), in the Explorer's Lounge.

And once a cruise, the chocoholic's extravaganza buffet.:D

I don't like too much competition for those yummy chocolates in Explorers, so I don't go spreading the word. ;)

Funny thing about the chocolate/dessert extravaganza---I don't care for it. Oh sure, the display is gorgeous, but I find the taste severely lacking. Perhaps it's because I'm still quite full from dinner (after all, second seating is barely over), or perhaps it really is a change in quality.

I don't like too much competition for those yummy chocolates in Explorers, so I don't go spreading the word. ;)

Funny thing about the chocolate/dessert extravaganza---I don't care for it. Oh sure, the display is gorgeous, but I find the taste severely lacking. Perhaps it's because I'm still quite full from dinner (after all, second seating is barely over), or perhaps it really is a change in quality.

I agree that the taste of the desserts is lacking. Last time, I went to the dessert extravaganza and took pictures but didn't eat a thing--and we ate early. The cakes are beautiful but have no flavor. They say the cupcake tea has several "flavors" of cupcakes. not true. They're just different colors.

When we did the behind the scenes tour on Zuiderdam, they took us into a locker for "dry storage." There were shelves with all sorts of spices. I looked carefully and I could NOT find a single bottle of vanilla extract or any vanilla beans. (Maybe all the vanilla is up at the Lido--they do use it in the bread pudding and its sauce.)

Thanks, everyone! All these things, and I agree with all, should help my friend...and have made me ready to go HAL again. They do many, many things that other lines do not and you forget that until seeing them all remembered here.

compared to all the other lines, except Luxury Oceiana, Regent Crystal, Seabourn, Amazar, Holland America offers the best bang for the dollar and a better passenger experience for the person seeking the pleasure of cruising on the ocean and enjoying the ship. and traditional sailing.

It is free from the gimmicks, carnivals, up-selling, shopping malls found on so many others. And too, it attracts a passenger who seeks the romance of the sea.

It may not be perfect, however, it has more going for it all in all.:D

compared to all the other lines, except Luxury Oceiana, Regent Crystal, Seabourn, Amazar, Holland America offers the best bang for the dollar and a better passenger experience for the person seeking the pleasure of cruising on the ocean and enjoying the ship. and traditional sailing.

It is free from the gimmicks, carnivals, up-selling, shopping malls found on so many others. And too, it attracts a passenger who seeks the romance of the sea.

It may not be perfect, however, it has more going for it all in all.:D

You said it so well "a passenger who seeks the romance of the sea!" That's the main reason I cruise. Everything everyone above has said also, I love HAL, love the smaller ships. And from a different perspective - I travel solo - and never felt as at home and comfortable on any other cruise line. People were so friendly and never made me feel "odd" that I was alone. Got to love that late night room service too!! :D

Sue

• 2 years later...

Iced towels and cold drinks on re boarding at port stops-only on HAL???

Have had this on our last four Celebrity cruises (3 Med, 1 Carib), and on our Oct/Nov RCI Med cruise this year. Also had it on our last Carnival cruise two years ago.

We like HAL but no longer see much of a difference in terms of service, food, entertainment, whatever from other cruise lines in the same market.

No gimmicks? Really...no bingo, no art auctions, no inches of gold, no jewelry sales that are not really sales?

Edited by iancal