What happens if you miss dining time?

wwb

I have never run into this before, so I am asking for your help. If we are eating on fixed dining time, and we miss our dinner due to being on an excursion, where can we eat? Can you then go to the "As you Wish," or is that forbidden?

Thank you,

Wendy

PS: Have been on numerous HAL cruises, just never missed a meal (Ha Ha)

For late excursions, they probably would accomodate you if possible. I would speak with the Dining Room Manager in advance of the day of your late excursion and pre-arrange with him if they will be able to seat you in flexible dining that night.

You always can count on ordering room service if you want.

You probably will not be able to order from the dining room dinner menu though as that is supposed to be done when the dining room first opens but you can request delivery at any time during the hours the dining room is open. If you are not on the ship, you would not be able to place your order or arrange delivery time.

But you certainly can order from the usual Room Service menu.

I have never run into this before, so I am asking for your help. If we are eating on fixed dining time, and we miss our dinner due to being on an excursion, where can we eat? Can you then go to the "As you Wish," or is that forbidden?

Thank you,

Wendy

As long as you are back in time, you can hit the Lido. You can also order room service. Technically you have to order 1/2 hour of the dining room opening (or at 6 pm depending on the ship) but if you are back in time you can do that too.

I don't believe you are ever allowed to go to any time dining if you have fixed dining booked

In Alaska and Europe there are several times when ships stay late in the ports. And some excursions do run through the dinner time.

I know that people who got back to the ship late and missed their dining time -- especially the early fixed dining time -- they were permitted to dine at the "Open Seating".

Keep in mind that Open Seating closes at 9 PM and that the Lido closes at 8:30.

Room Service

Available 24 hours:

Smoked Atlantic Salmon - pickled red onion, capers & cream cheese

Mesclun Garden Greens - tomato, cucumber, alfalfa sprouts & blue cheese crumbles

Triple Decker Club Sandwich - sliced turkey, ham, bacon, tomato & lettuce served on toasted bread of your choice

All American Hamburger - broiled 1/4 pound beef patty on a sesame bun with dill pickle & coleslaw - add cheddar or Swiss cheese

Open faced Omelet - ham & cheese or vegetables

Selection of assorted cheese with crackers

Apple tart with whipped cream

Chocolate cake with raspberry sauce

A plate of chocolate chip cookies with a glass of milk

Fruit salad - selected fruits in season

Available from 12 noon until 10 PM:

Appetizers & Soups:

Bay shrimp cocktail with cocktail sauce

Smoked Atlantic Salmon

French onion soup baked with Gruyere cheese

Soup of the day

Salads:

Mesclun Garden Greens

Chef salad - mixed greens, ham, salami, swiss cheese, turkey, hard boiled egg - choice of Italian or blue cheese dressing

Caesar salad - tossed with Caesar dressing, croutons & parmesan - add bay shrimp or grilled chicken breast

Sandwiches & Burgers:

All are served with a choice of potato salad or potato chips

Triple decker club sandwich

Broiled California chicken breast sandwich on multi=grain bread with avocado & honey mustard sauce

Grilled tuna melt - tuna salad & Swiss cheese on rye bread with pickle spears

Thai Vegetarian wrap - eggplant, bamboo shoots, bean sprouts & cilantro rolled with rice & green curry sauce in a tomato tortilla

Steak sandwich - sirloin steak on sourdough bread sauteed with onion & bell pepper

All American Hamburger

Entrees:

Seared salmon steak - dill-lime fusion, broccoli florets, carrot batonnet & country mashed potatoes

Penne Primavera - tossed in marinara sauce with Italian roasted vegetables - add grilled chicken breast

Pizza:

margarita (tomato sauce & cheese)

Pepperoni

Vegetarian (mushroom & bell pepper)

Desserts:

Apple tart

Chocolate cake

Creme caramel surrounded in berry compote

Fruit jello

fruit salad

Vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce

Selection of assorted cheese with crackers

I've heard of it being allowed when a HAL excursion was very late returning.

Interesting - we weren't allowed on a Baltic cruise - but they did have a wonderful buffet waiting for us on the Lido:) (those were the good old days) I did ask two cruises ago due to the timing of tours and was told no - only my experience though John;)

If you are in a deluxe suite, you can order off the dinner menu via the concierge before you leave the ship. You specifiy when you want dinner to arrive. We did this when we had a late excursion in Alaska, and it worked out well.

Or, as others have said, you can eat at the Lido.

Another possibility is to make a reservation at Caneletto for a later time than your usual dinner. You could do this at Pinnacle, too, but I don't think I'd want to "waste" a Pinnacle dinner on a night when I'd straggled in late from a tour.

I've heard of it being allowed when a HAL excursion was very late returning.

We have heard of that being allowed for folks on late excursions. Actually very few folks want to come back late and rush to shower and dress for dinner. Few would even make the attempt, most of the time. I definitely suggest asking in advance.

A late excursion day would be the perfect evening to relax in our room in our jammies and enjoy one of our favorite meals from room service- French Onion Soup, Triple Decker Club Sandwich, and an Apple Tart. This is one of the most praised meals you'll read about on these boards and available 24/7.

That is likely what we would do. :)

DH likes the Triple Decker Club Sandwich. :) I like the wrap they make with the sprouts. :)

I know that people who got back to the ship late and missed their dining time -- especially the early fixed dining time -- they were permitted to dine at the "Open Seating".

That would be unfair to those that have Open Seating as it may be more crowded that it should be?

We are taking our sons (17 and 18) with us, as we always do, so we are definitely not in a suite because that would be cost-prohibitive for our budget.

I never order room service....I guess because with 4 in a room, it is a tad tight to eat comfortably. This might be a good time to try it though! Menu sounds delish.

Wendy

Thank you,

Wendy

Go to the Lido....and you will still never missed a meal :D

Many times will reopen 9 to 10:30 for a theme menu German Aisian, Italian, etc. Many times these later features are even better than whats being offered elsewhere... They wer a favorite of ours.

We stopped going the he main dining room last cruise because of the enjoymment and variety we got in the lido...and it was even better than the fix seat dining...:D

Many times will reopen 9 to 10:30 for a theme menu German Aisian, Italian, etc. Many times these later features are even better than whats being offered elsewhere... They wer a favorite of ours.

We stopped going the he main dining room last cruise because of the enjoymment and variety we got in the lido...and it was even better than the fix seat dining...:D

each to their own:D dining is very subjective as are rooms on the ship:):)

That would be unfair to those that have Open Seating as it may be more crowded that it should be?

They likely would seat some of the 'overflow' folks on the upper level. If many were late returning because of their shore excursion than surely some of those guests would be assigned traditional upper dining..... not all would be guests seated in lower level each night.

I don't think there would be any more crowding if they use the upper level fully.

I'm concerned about the same on our upcoming Bermuda cruise. Since the ship is in port on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, and we have "Early Seating" I'm not so sure that will work very well! I may change to Open Seating once we're on board.

For example, there are some lovely shore excursions in the evening, sailing around the harbor etc., that we may want to do, so I'm trying to figure it all out!

We always have fixed...but, then, that's always cruises who leave port in the afternoon/early evening! This one is different....

When I know I'm going to be back late I book in the Pinnacle or Canaletto. I don't think it's fair to go to open. I pick open a lot more often now and I don't like the idea of latecomers taking chairs in open unless it's super late at night and the dining room is empty. Even then a person should pick the dining that suits them best.

:confused: You (and everyone else on board) have "As You Wish". You would have to eat ashore in order to avoid it.

Well if I wish to eat ashore, wouldn't that still be "As I Wish"? Atfer all that would be my wish, so it's as I wish. No?:D

On the Westerdam last year we had fixed late seating, got there 45 minutes late due to an excursion hang up and they seated us a la anytime dining.

This might not be the norm, but we politely presented our case and they had ample room so said it was no problem.

Archived