Differences between Caribbean and European Sailings

JBCall

Hi there,

My wife and I got back from a nice Eastern Caribbean cruise on Freedom a few weeks ago. Our experience was that everything was good. Only a few wow moments compared to some of the other lines we have been on but everything was well done.

Thanks to some kind grandparents who have volunteered to look after the kids for a week and an upcoming anniversary we are looking at a 7-day med cruise in late July. We would be going on either the Navigator or the Splendour.

My question is: will things be the same for the Med trip (i.e. same shows, same menu, etc.) as they were on the Freedom? I know it is a different ship and different ports (plus no kids this time ;)) but will the onboard experience change much?

Thanks.

Same menus. Probably fewer Americans aboard, though still a sizeable number. Great ports, and with a little prior research you can tour them yourselves without paying for cruiseline excursions. I've done the Navigator in July, and the Splendour in October, and had a fabulous time on both trips. Dagored is right - Mediterranean cruises are really all about the ports and much less about the ship.

Thanks for the advice.

One other quick question. I am trying to compare the Splendour out of Bari to the Navigator's itinerary and this will be my first trip away from North America.

Does anyone have strong opinions on one itinerary versus the other? Splendor goes to Venice which I think is a strong plus but it will cost more to fly into Bari.

Thanks.

Sorry for the second post, I just realized I forgot to post the itineraries.

Splendour: Bari, Corfu, Santorini, Ephesus, Katakalon, At Sea, Venice, Bari

Navigator: Rome, Sicily, At Sea, Ephesus, Athens, Crete, At Sea, Rome

Would the air fare be cheaper if you started out of Venice instead? There should be the option to start there instead of bari. That is what we are doing next month.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Would the air fare be cheaper if you started out of Venice instead? There should be the option to start there instead of bari. That is what we are doing next month.

Both cruises look fabulous.

I think it depends on how much you have dreamed of seeing Venice vs how much you have dreamed of seeing Rome. They are the 'wow' factor differences of the cruises in my opinion. I also think if you are coming from the States you need to factor in some time to adapt to the jet lag before you start off on your cruise or you will be tired before you even start. You might find that when you start to look at accomodation costs your overall budget may change. Also you might find a cheaper flight a day earlier.

If you go to Rome or Venice pre-cruise there is plenty to see but you can also do a (long but dooable) day trip to Florence from Rome by train pre or post cruise.

If leaving from Venice is not possible I would be tempted to look at flights to Naples and stay for 2 or 3 nights on the Amalfi Coast to get over your jet lag (there is a huge wow factor there), the journey across to Bari is about 4 hours I think. It is making a week's cruise into a bit more of an expedition though, the costs mount. I may have underestimated Bari though, I have never been there.

The other consideration is that you have one trip with one sea day and one trip with two. I feel that a day at sea is a day 'wasted' - but I live by the sea so can sit in the sun throughout the summer when I am at home.

You might think that a cruise is about relaxation.

I have looked again at your itineraries. I have no idea which I would choose. You are going to have a great time whichever you decide upon. Lucky you. :)

I think you'll find that this is a "double-departure-port" cruise (there's a proper name for it but I can't remember what it is). That means passengers can choose to start (in this case) either in Venice or Bari, but the main starting point will be Venice.

This may mean you may not be able to book anything (excursions, speciality restaurants, etc.) online before you book. Check with RCI or your TA if this would be an issue for you.

Plus, as a major destination in its own right, you'll certainly have greater choice in terms of flight options if you fly to Venice.

As far as your onboard experience is concerned, menus are pretty much the same, although you may see a few "RCI'd" versions of local dishes.

Expect multi-lingualism. Apart from English, there will be announcements in at least French, Spanish, German and Italian.

And for the same reason, shows tend to be more visual because it's hard to have an English-language show for multi-lingual audiences.

Hope this helps and you have a great time.

Fiona.

They are both great itineraries, and I really think you can't go wrong. Navigator is the bigger ship (with a Promenade, an ice skating rink, etc.), and that makes a difference to some people. I actually prefer Splendour because you see more of the sea from the public areas, and I much prefer knowing I'm at sea when I'm at sea! But I think the Navigator itinerary is marginally better if this is your first Mediterranean trip.

I agree with FionaMG that you should be able to do the Splendour cruise beginning and ending in Venice, rather than Bari. That probably will be more convenient for you than Bari.

We have cruised Caribbean several times as well as an Adriatic Sea cruise on RCCL out of Venice. You can't go wrong with either itinerary. I probably would go with the one that sails into Venice. We stayed 4 nights precruise in Venice and it was great. It is a magical city like none other. I would try to leave from Venice if they allow you. The crowds during the afternoon in San Marco Square can be horrible, but by evening it is wonderful. Thus staying a few nights in Venice really lets you experience it before your cruise. We also stopped at Bari. It is a bigger city than what I was expecting, but no WOW factor at all, IMO. That is a port that you would want to book an escursion from. I do not think your European cruise has to be all that much more money. First off, our cruise price was cheaper than Caribbean cruise prices. However, the excursions do tend to be a little more than Caribbean excursions. With a cruise you can do most of your eating on the ship and just eat casual meals in ports, that will save a lot of money. You will have a great time on either. I would not worry at all about similar menus, similar shows, etc.....

There is an 8 night option from Venice which also takes in Athens on the itinerary, but only specific dates, not every July sailing.

Bring Money. Lots of money.

No kidding, those euros simply evaporate:)

I'd go with Splendour, not just because it has places I've not seen but because I thought Athens was a dump and what little we saw of Crete (Chania) wasn't much better. Too much trash and graffiti in Athens and in Crete a big anti-gov't demo around noon caused problems getting back to the ship (early departure).

Kusadasi/Ephesus was our favourite stop.

but will the onboard experience change much?

Thanks.

No. The onboard experience will be almost 100% the same as a cruise in the Caribbean. Members here on CC is mentioning multi-lingualism. Well, this is Europe. If someone worry about this, then they should reconsider a trip to Europe.

Itinerary: I would go for the Splendour-alternative. Santorini is a true gem.

Welcome to Europe!

Bring Money. Lots of money.

No kidding, those euros simply evaporate:)

I'd go with Splendour, not just because it has places I've not seen but because I thought Athens was a dump and what little we saw of Crete (Chania) wasn't much better. Too much trash and graffiti in Athens and in Crete a big anti-gov't demo around noon caused problems getting back to the ship (early departure).

Kusadasi/Ephesus was our favourite stop.

That is ashame. We had a private tour in Athens and loved it. The acropolis, Olympic stadium, changing of the guard, out of the tourist trap places to dine, etc.

I was disappointed in Rome. Graffiti, trash, except for the Vatican. Also loved kusadasi.

As a European with a son living in Calgary, and therefore a frequent traveller between the 2 places, I can't emphasise enough the need to have a couple of days to get over the jet-lag before starting the cruise. There is an 8 hour time difference which will really throw you body clock off kilter for a while and make busy shore trip days unpleasant if you haven't had a chance to acclimatise.

Archived