Long pants for ice skating?

According to the Royal Caribbean website: "Please note ice skating on our Voyager Class & Freedom Class ships requires that all skaters wear long pants and socks for their own comfort and safety."

Does this mean shorts are allowed on the Oasis? We have never been ice skating (on a cruise ship) and would like to next month. We want to make sure we have the proper attire.

Is this a suggestion or a rule? If I want to ice skate in shorts, can I? I just can't see packing long pants to the Western Carribbean in June for 30 minutes of ice skating. I ice skate in shorts at home, they are not going to keep me off the ice on the ship are they?

i can't see ice skating in the carribbean either...wear the pants...i'm sure you had to pack a long pair of pants to get into the dinning room for dinner...just put a pair of sweat pants on and you'll just fine...not the end of the world...it will not take away for the experience...

Edited by mikeblum

Is this a suggestion or a rule? If I want to ice skate in shorts, can I? I just can't see packing long pants to the Western Carribbean in June for 30 minutes of ice skating. I ice skate in shorts at home, they are not going to keep me off the ice on the ship are they?

I think they would keep you off the ice if you were not appropriately kitted out - and for the ice they consider that you need long trousers. They want to keep injuries to the minimum.

Anyone not wanting to bring long trousers will find plenty of activities on board that they can participate in wearing shorts.

Edited by ollienbertsmum
missed out a word

I have also seen that you must wear long pants for the roller blading. But have seen pictures of people skating in shorts. So they must be lax in the rules. But if you don't take long pants you assume the risk of not going skating.

Further to above, they are VERY tight about this rule, no exceptions. I couldnt skate on Freedom last year with my family because I didnt bring long pants (only workout capris). Dont ask me why I packed long pants for everyone in my family but me, but alas, it was a no-go for me!

You will need long pants (and socks) in order to ice skate. I would bet they hadn't updated that rule...probably an oversight.

As the OP quoted, this is from the cruiseline's website (and as stated above, likely not yet updated for the Oasis & Allure):

Please note ice skating on our Voyager Class & Freedom Class ships requires that all skaters wear long pants and socks for their own comfort and safety.

Further to above, they are VERY tight about this rule, no exceptions. I couldnt skate on Freedom last year with my family because I didnt bring long pants (only workout capris). Dont ask me why I packed long pants for everyone in my family but me, but alas, it was a no-go for me!

Does anyone else recall capris being permitted in the past for ice skating? I could swear that the website stated that wearing capri length was formerly permitted.

I am 99.9% positive it was in the compass re the long pants for skating - and as others have said - no they won't let you skate without them

I checked the RCCL brochure before our trip on the Liberty this month. It said calf length pants. So I took my longest capris and they worked fine. The came just to the top of the skates.

TMC

• 3 years later...

Yes. No slacks, no socks, no skating.

M

The Compass stated long pants and socks required. It did not state, however, that an adult MUST be present for a minor to skate.

My 15yo has been skating for well over a decade and even brought his own skates, and they wouldn't let him skate b/c I wasn't there. :rolleyes:

If the Compass had stated "minors must have guardian present" along with the bit about pants and socks, I could have gone with him. As it was, he didn't know where to find me so he didn't get to skate.

Edited by brillohead

The Compass stated long pants and socks required. It did not state, however, that an adult MUST be present for a minor to skate.

My 15yo has been skating for well over a decade and even brought his own skates, and they wouldn't let him skate b/c I wasn't there. :rolleyes:

If the Compass had stated "minors must have guardian present" along with the bit about pants and socks, I could have gone with him. As it was, he didn't know where to find me so he didn't get to skate.

That is too bad you didn't know that skating, like rock climbing and zip line, require parental permission.

One thing we always did when we traveled with our teen was to leave notes for each other in the cabin. We would discuss our daily plans but then leave a stick note in the cabin saying, we are in schooner bar or where ever so he could find us. If we didn't go back to the cabin to leave a note, we would call the cabin and leave a voice mail message so we all knew where each other was at any given point.

yes they will deny you if you are not in long pants and socks. their ship, their rink, their policy.

That is too bad you didn't know that skating, like rock climbing and zip line, require parental permission.

I did the online waivers before the cruise -- he was able to use the FlowRider without me being present, even the very first time -- they just looked online and saw that he was already waived. They wouldn't let him skate without me there, though.

Had there been some sort of notification, we would have made the necessary arrangements. I've also never seen it posted here, in all my years on Cruise Critic.

I knew about the long pants requirement, and I knew he'd have to wear a helmet (the socks part didn't apply to him because he had his own skates with him), but nowhere did I see it stated (on RC's site, or here on CC, or on the Compass on board) that the guardian would have to physically be present in order to ice skate.

Seems like a stupid rule... he's much more likely to be seriously injured rock climbing or surfing than he is skating!

That's why I wanted to mention it here, so that someone else's child won't be similarly disappointed.

A suggestion for those traveling to warm climates where there is sometimes the requirement of long pants: invest in one or two pairs of convertible pants (those with zip-off legs). The legs will take up less room than a t-shirt in luggage, and if you need pants (there are plenty of places that require pants to enter), in seconds you are prepared.