Unwanted Dinners??

Solo travelers have to pay for two. Families with five have to book two cabins. You need at least eight to book the Presidential Suite. You have to have a lot of disposable income to book the Royal Suite, or a buy a Rolls Royce. You have to be over a certain age to get a driver's license. You have to be under a certain age to join the kids club. Cruise lines offer special fares to people that live near the ports. People in suites get special seating areas. You can't go on a zip line if you weigh too much - or too little.

Welcome to the world we live in. No one said life was fair. There are other cruise lines if Royal Caribbean doesn't suit you.

Talk about comparing apples to oranges. Drivers' licenses? LOL You are all over the place.

Hotels are set up double occupancy as are cruise cabins. It's the norm in the world of hotels, resorts cruises. People pay more for suites to get more. They buy Rolls Royce's because they want one. There are cheaper cars. None of this applies to what the OP is talking about.

I still think this is an idea that will not last and will not bring them any extra revenue.

Edited by BND

I totally agree, during all our visits to either Portofino or Chops on any ship which we have sailed on, the majority of tables are set for 2.

Well, evidently, they are hoping to set more tables for four. If the drink credit is very important to you, find a like minded couple on your roll call and book four together.

Solo travelers have to pay for two. Families with five have to book two cabins. You need at least eight to book the Presidential Suite. You have to have a lot of disposable income to book the Royal Suite, or a buy a Rolls Royce. You have to be over a certain age to get a driver's license. You have to be under a certain age to join the kids club. Cruise lines offer special fares to people that live near the ports. People in suites get special seating areas. You can't go on a zip line if you weigh too much - or too little.

Welcome to the world we live in. No one said life was fair. There are other cruise lines if Royal Caribbean doesn't suit you.

What utter tosh!

Don't you think those that are going to book it as families are already doing it? As I said previously, this is a weird marketing tool. As a previous poster said, if you can't afford $30 as a couple why are you cruising? I didn't realize eating in the specialty restaurants was an entitlement.

No, I don't think they're already doing it. As I said before, my family of 5 usually only books 1 specialty because it is $100 or more. This might get bigger parties, or more families, to book because there is an incentive.

I think the point of the incentive is to get more people and larger parties to book on the 1st or 2nd night (which from what I've heard are not the preferred nights for the specialty restaurants) We (family of 4) were considering trying Portofino since we have never before and with the incentive, we will probably book on the 1st or 2nd night if we do decide to try it. $30 would be a nice chunk of a bottle of wine for DH & I.

Hi

Are couples not wanted anymore by RCI? surely they could have adapted the offer to suit couples (ie, Half the $30 voucher to $15 etc..)

I now feel I begrudge paying full price on day 1 or 2, as everyone else in the restaurant will be paying a reduced rate, plus free drinks.

Does anyone else find this unfair or is it just me??

Thanks

Any party size can take advantage of the bundled restaurant deals (Central Park Deal for example) where you go to one restaurant the first night then get to go to two others later in the week.

These are all just different ways to get more people into the Specialty restaurants and use up all available capacity. Clearly, the specialties were not being used fully the first night or two, and so now they have a lot of deals for that. And I'm betting that a lot of people were only going as a couple for that "special" dinner, and now RCCL is going after another group, those that are traveling as a group, family or otherwise.

I'm sure their marketing people are actually on very solid ground with this because their data is very clean - they know exactly who their potential clients are (everyone sailing) and exactly what percentage of those actually eat in the specialty restaurants. It is fairly straight forward to calculate how much discount is still "worth it" for RCCL. Not like a land based restaurant that really doesn't have a captive population to draw from and has to deal with lots of competition.

Remember, every additional person they get to dine in the specialties is money in their pocket, so they are going to do a lot to get every seat filled every single night. Which is why all these deals are popping up, now that they have been doing this for a while, they know what the statistics are on normal usage, now they can work to attract those that were not going or at least when they weren't going.

bobj

• 1 year later...

Whaaaaaaaaat????? What does it mean when it is a BOGO and you are a SOLO?? Come on! Some specials fit your situation and some don't....same as on land.

My mother said: "If you can't find something nice to say keep...............

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good day. d

No charge for changing staterooms, no loss of deposit, price drops, state specials, I could go on. Do we get them over here in the UK? No.

Then use a US travel agent, we do all the time and living in the UK. You have that choice if you want that benefit. Or use an ABTA travel agent to ensure you can't lose your money. No one is forcing you one way or another.

I haven't seen these and as far as I'm concerned these are discriminatory and should not be allowed under UK consumer law. No way am I going to pay full price for 2 of us if I know that for groups of 4 or more there are what are effectively exclusive discounts.

I don't see it as discriminatory, as someone previously stated, it is a group discount. I have often seen it used here in the US at zoos, parks, museums etc..

A kid on a school field trip going to a museum does not always pay the same price as if Mom and Dad were taking the kid. I see it the same as buying in quantity, you buy 3 at one cost, but if you buy 4 or more, you get a discounted price.

Mike

Edited by Chipmoose

Whaaaaaaaaat????? What does it mean when it is a BOGO and you are a SOLO?? Come on! Some specials fit your situation and some don't....same as on land.

My mother said: "If you can't find something nice to say keep...............

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good day. d

Do you know you just dredged up a thread that was 18 months old?:D

This thread is over 1.5 years old. :eek:

Thank you - can't imagine why someone "revived" it rather than start a new thread if they had a query - and people responding to posts from April of 2012 is just nuts.

Hi

Been online booking wine package, and anniversary decorations etc..

As a treat I wanted to book a meal in Potofino's or Choips for our Anniversary too, but while viewing I saw these new Celebration Dinning Packages, reduced Cost & free $30 beverage voucher, sounds a good deal until you read small print.. 4 Passenger or more? Then there was another deal for 8 to 10 passengers?

Are couples not wanted anymore by RCI? surely they could have adapted the offer to suit couples (ie, Half the $30 voucher to $15 etc..)

I now feel I begrudge paying full price on day 1 or 2, as everyone else in the restaurant will be paying a reduced rate, plus free drinks.

Does anyone else find this unfair or is it just me??

Thanks

I've often wondered about this myself. My hubby and I would love the opportunity to take advantage of this offer, but alas it is just the two of us.