Say what you will about New Yorker's

HamOp

I had a nice experience on the phone today.

Wasn't sure about the size of my carry on, so I called HAL to see what the size restrictions were. Well, the girl on the phone said, anything you can carry is okay with us.

Then I got to thinking, it's not HAL that does the screening, but the Port of New York Authority. So checking the internet I found the number for Manhattan Cruise Terminal Security. Called the number and got John.

While he admitted he didn't know what size was allowable, he said he was watching the screening line on a monitor as we spoke.

He said "tell you what, here is my direct number. I'll go out and measure the size and you call me back in two minutes".

When I called him back, he had the answer and as it turned out my carry on would not have been allowed.

Thanks John, who ever you are. You went above and beyond IMHO.

Wasn't sure about the size of my carry on, so I called HAL to see what the size restrictions were. Well, the girl on the phone said, anything you can carry is okay with us.

Then I got to thinking, it's not HAL that does the screening, but the Port of New York Authority. So checking the internet I found the number for Manhattan Cruise Terminal Security. Called the number and got John.

While he admitted he didn't know what size was allowable, he said he was watching the screening line on a monitor as we spoke.

He said "tell you what, here is my direct number. I'll go out and measure the size and you call me back in two minutes".

When I called him back, he had the answer and as it turned out my carry on would not have been allowed.

That's nice to know..

I never knew that a carry on would be restricted on HAL..Would you care to tell us what size is allowed? Thanks..

Thanks Betty

This is an interesting topic.

I've never had an issue carrying on any of my bags when cruising out of that terminal...I didn't even know they had a size restriction.

Since I'm leaving on the same cruise as you, only 2 weeks from now, would you please post the size limit?

Thanks!

Have a wonderful cruise, our roll call will be watching your group sailaway so be sure to wave!:)

That's nice to know..

I never knew that a carry on would be restricted on HAL..Would you care to tell us what size is allowed? Thanks..

Thanks Betty

From what I can tell, HAL would let you carry on anything you can lug.

The problem is with the Terminal Security. The X-Ray scanner is the same as at an airport, and the max size is 21 inches by 17 inches. Weight is not a problem.

So, if you can get it on an airplane, you can take it thru the terminal.

No mention was made as to if a hand inspection would be done for oversized bags.

Couldn't they send it down with the checked bags, if it was oversized and did not fit the carryon scanners?

Of course, it would be better to know the limit and send it as checked baggage in the first place......

edit: of course, it goes without saying you would not send valuables, meds, or fragile items in checked baggage.....

From what I can tell, HAL would let you carry on anything you can lug.

The problem is with the Terminal Security. The X-Ray scanner is the same as at an airport, and the max size is 21 inches by 17 inches. Weight is not a problem.

So, if you can get it on an airplane, you can take it thru the terminal.

No mention was made as to if a hand inspection would be done for oversized bags.

I have seen them go thru oversized luggage when it won't go thru the scanner, but that is in San Deigo.

Every now and then you run across a good one! Thanks to John!:)

Love, love, love New York and New Yorkers - only experienced friendly, helpful and interesting people - what a nice man to help you like that and nice to hear.

Thank you, we get a bad rep, but most of us are helpful and friendly.

When I called him back, he had the answer and as it t

urned out my carry on would not have been allowed.

What a great story :D

Couldn't they send it down with the checked bags, if it was oversized and did not fit the carryon scanners?

Of course, it would be better to know the limit and send it as checked baggage in the first place......

edit: of course, it goes without saying you would not send valuables, meds, or fragile items in checked baggage.....

Bob, the reason we always carry on our garment bag is that most cruiseline's don't allow them to go with the checked baggage because of the hangers/handle on top.

Here's a quote from the "before you go" on their site.

Holland America Line cautions against the use of garment bags with hanger hooks protruding from the top.

I have 2 garment bags and both of them have the wire hanger/handle on the top.

If we weren't dressing for formal nights I wouldn't even bother taking it.

Bob, the reason we always carry on our garment bag is that most cruiseline's don't allow them to go with the checked baggage because of the hangers/handle on top.

Here's a quote from the "before you go" on their site.

Holland America Line cautions against the use of garment bags with hanger hooks protruding from the top.

I have 2 garment bags and both of them have the wire hanger/handle on the top.

If we weren't dressing for formal nights I wouldn't even bother taking it.

Couldn't the hangar be tucked inside the opening on the top?

Either way, a garment bag may be flexible enough to allow it to get thru the carryon scanner.....

Couldn't the hangar be tucked inside the opening on the top?

Either way, a garment bag may be flexible enough to allow it to get thru the carryon scanner.....

Yes it definitely could, but I hate sending it with the checked baggage because the main reason I bring it is to keep our formal clothes as wrinkle free and pressed as possible.

I know, it's silly.:o:D

John keeps saying "we don't have to dress for formal night"...oh no, I'm not letting him off that easy. I'll figure it out. lol

Archived