Monte Carlo berthing and travel to Nice options

alfa

Good Morning All,

being a past Seabourn cruiser, does anyone know generally what time Regent require you to disembark off the ship, on that terrible last day of your cruise. :(

Further does anyone know where Regent typically berths in Monte Carlo and what travel options are available to get to the Nice Airport from there.

Thanking you all in advance. :)

There is a small jetty at Monte Carlo harbor that can hold one Regent-size ship . I was there a few years ago and Voyager was at jetty. Larger cruise ship anchored out.

Great yacht-peeping!

We have been to monte Carlo twice on mariner. Both times we have docked right down town.

As far as getting to Nice, I have used the same driver twice. Alain@dream-tours.com. Very reliable and good price.

Thank you RachelG.

I have not been long on this message board, but I note your willingness to assist and reply in previous posts.

Thanks once again mate.

Alfa - An enthusiastic second from us to Rachel's recommendation on using dream-tours. We used them to pick us up at the Nice airport and transfer to our hotel in Nice, to take us and friends on a marvelous day tour into the hills, and for the transfer from Nice to the ship in Monte Carlo on embarkation day. Excellent service on all three days. You can't go wrong with dream-tours. Cheers, Fred

We've only embarked once in Monte Carlo, and yes, Voyager was docked right in the middle of things. One other option, if you're going straight to the Nice airport, is to take the helicopter service. I haven't done it, but I've heard it's a heck of a unique way to see the Riviera. You can find information about it on the Nice airport website.

We were on the Mariner last May and docked in Monte Carlo right downtown. We took the Regent's bus to Nice Airport.

Hi forevertravel,

I didnt know regent can arrange this, thank you for your comment.

Do you happen to recall at around what time the bus departed or arrived at the nice airport ?

Thanking you in advance

Alfa,

We docked in Monte Carlo around 7 or 8 and were off the ship by 9am. We walked out and our luggage was right there and bus in front of luggage. They loaded the suitcases and off we were. We were at Nice airport one hour later. The guide gave us an interesting narrative about Nice and places we drove by. It was an easy way to get to airport. I had booked a flight to Paris at 1pm thinking we may not get off the ship that quick. We had a two hour wait before we boarded but it wasn't bad. Regent got all passengers booked on bus to Nice out first so we all departed around 9am.

This isn't automatic - you have to book it. You will be asked when you receive your disembarkation questionnaire near the end of your cruise if you want to book a transfer to the airport. Usually you can not do this before embarking your cruise unless you are flying with Regent.

I agree that you have to book the transfer to Nice airport. Sorry, I forgot to mention it. It's not cheap either. It was $100/pp but it was so convenient that it was worth it. I don't know what the cost of a taxi to Nice airport from MC cruise terminal is.

Like Rachel, we have found in almost every case that it was less expensive for us to book a private car (NOT through the Regent Destinations Desk, though) or a taxi than to deal with the Regent bus. For example, in Ft. L., Regent offered bus transport to the airport (meaning that we had to debark at a specific time, wait for the bus to fill up, and then stop at whichever terminals other passengers needed) for $50 per person, while we were able to walk up to a taxi in the taxi queue and go directly to our terminal at the airport in about 10 minutes for less than $30 total, including tip. Priceless, no??

Similarly, in San Francisco, taking a taxi was one third the cost of taking the Regent bus, and one fifth the cost of taking a Regent-arranged private car.

If you are considering taking the Regent bus for $100 per person, give a thought to the helicopter service between Monte Carlo and Nice airport. It starts at about 60 euro ($80) per person. It looks like a very fast (7 - 10 minutes) and fun way to make the transfer.

Cheers, Fred

Thank you all for your comments, I have decided to go to Nice railway station for the TDG to Paris.

I have read it is a nice outlook as we speed along at 300 kph !

It leaves at 11.30 am so fingers crossed I get there on time :rolleyes:

Thank you all for your comments, I have decided to go to Nice railway station for the TDG to Paris.

I have read it is a nice outlook as we speed along at 300 kph !

It leaves at 11.30 am so fingers crossed I get there on time :rolleyes:

So how are you going to get to the train station? Train from MC?

As I recall, train station is about 15 minute walk from MC harbor.

I understand that, although one might not want to walk that far with luggage. But I was talking about getting the train from M-C to Nice. Presumably that's what they'll do if they're going to get the bullet train, or whatever it's called, from Nice to Paris.

So how are you going to get to the train station? Train from MC?

Hi Wendy,

haven't worked it out yet, but either a helicopter, taxi or bus to Nice.

One thing for sure, she who shall be obeyed, will not walk for 15 minutes to Monte Carlo Railway Station, be there, done that and I'm still reminded of it !

:)

Will a train work in the other direction? For our cruise starting in Monte in November, we were thinking of taking a train to Monaco (if the train station is in the airport), then a taxi to our hotel. If that doesn't work, what car service is best? We used the service affiliated with Easy Jet the one time we flew into Nice.

We did the helicopter a couple of years back and loved it. As I remember it it was under 15 minutes, very minimal security and the scenery was spectacular. We were dropped off right at the Nice airport.

Hi alfa, I'm a little late getting to this thread. Regarding where Regent ships typically berth in Monte Carlo, have a look at this shot I took of the harbor on April 3, as Ginny and I made our way back to the Mariner on foot. The view of Monaco from the Mariner couldn't have been more spectacular.

MarinerinMonacoharbor.jpg

Just be aware taxis are not waiting on the pier in Monte Carlo like they are everywhere else. You must organize your own transportation from the pier to where ever you want to go or you will be standing there with no way to get where you are going.

Actually both times we have disembarked in Monte Carlo there have been taxis. Albeit there was each time a queue for them. But they kept on coming and picking people up. We waited a max of 10 minutes each time...

The sailaway from Monte Carlo is rally beautiful. And once we did it in the dark (TA in November '06). That was really something with all the twinkling lights!

Archived