PNG Cruise

These poor people had perfect teeth by the look of it.

By the way, I have it on good authority that people are not allowed to chew betel nut in the Alotau markets, so we should be able to walk there without fear. :D:D:D It's funny, but that's what I remember most about Rabaul - red patches all over the ground.

can you please explane what the fear is?

Not fear as in scared... As the poster said, the chewing of betel is not allowed so its all OK. We have a long time to wait for our cruise..we are just discussing what we might find there.

Sue

could you please put that in english?

Not fear as in scared... As the poster said, the chewing of betel is not allowed so its all OK. We have a long time to wait for our cruise..we are just discussing what we might find there.

Sue

could you please put that in english?

Try this link Thied.

http://www.wikihow.com/Chew-Betel-Nut-in-Papua-New-Guinea

Note in particular Step 6!

Colleen

Thanks Colleen I wasn't sure how to simplify what I had said. My introduction to PNG was Lae "fresh" food markets..half smoked flying fox complete with maggots and the stupifying reek of rancid pig fat (apparently to keep mosquitos away). I dont know about mosquitos but certainly helped me keep my distance. Once I had got past the culture shock I learned to love living there and appreciate the people and their customs..well most of them, the customs I mean.

Sue

Archived