PNG Cruise

I'm booked too 31st October...glad to see we have won you over to roll calls and meet and greets Theid...see you onboard.

Anyone thinking about it...great interest all over the place, I wouldn't wait too long you might be disappointed.

Sue

there may be a keel hall lol:D

• 3 weeks later...

I think that there is so many members on here going on the forst cruise to PNG will be great so I can meet them, and have some fun, just dandy.

Seriously considering booking this cruise, something different and I can spend the sea days playing "Finding Thied"

:)

that would a cruise for you

Hi Guys,

Just want to ask a question if anyone knows. PNG cruise on Pacific Dawn departing Brisbane on Oct. 31 - P&O states it should arrive to Alotau in time for their Canoe Festival. However, to my knowledge the show always held in the first weekend of November with main race on Sunday which is November 3, 2013, BUT Pacific Dawn will be visiting Alotau on November 4, which is Monday? Means it will miss the festival by 1 day. May be I do not know something? but the festival always finishes on first Sunday of November.

Please, anyone respond if you know more. Thank you.

Tahititim.

Hi Guys,

Just want to ask a question if anyone knows. PNG cruise on Pacific Dawn departing Brisbane on Oct. 31 - P&O states it should arrive to Alotau in time for their Canoe Festival. However, to my knowledge the show always held in the first weekend of November with main race on Sunday which is November 3, 2013, BUT Pacific Dawn will be visiting Alotau on November 4, which is Monday? Means it will miss the festival by 1 day. May be I do not know something? but the festival always finishes on first Sunday of November.

Please, anyone respond if you know more. Thank you.

Tahititim.

Not according to my calendar. 24th is a Sunday in 2013

Caught the end of Globe Trekker the other night - I think it was only in the Rabaul area. Iit was beautiful but the guides took the presenter up the mountains to show how they used to bury their dead. There were these mummified bodies still almost intact. I couldn't help notice that they had beautiful teeth. It was rather eerie. Have read there are skull caves in the areas we are cruising - don't know whether or not I would like to see them. :confused:

Some parts of PNG have an interesting culture around death. After the funeral and the sad business is over they wrap their dead and place in caves overlooking the village. Once a year they go up and rewrap the bones and have a chat and a bit of a picnic up there. They believe that you must be buried near your village for your spirit must return to the place where you were born and that the dead realatives enjoy the gossip once a year and look out for all the living kin in the village. I think its kind of comforting.

Good teeth? ... only if they dont chew betel nut..mixed with lime powder it strips the enamel off the teeth entirely.

Sue

Some parts of PNG have an interesting culture around death. After the funeral and the sad business is over they wrap their dead and place in caves overlooking the village. Once a year they go up and rewrap the bones and have a chat and a bit of a picnic up there. They believe that you must be buried near your village for your spirit must return to the place where you were born and that the dead realatives enjoy the gossip once a year and look out for all the living kin in the village. I think its kind of comforting.

Good teeth? ... only if they dont chew betel nut..mixed with lime powder it strips the enamel off the teeth entirely.

Sue

funny it goes red when chewed , the lime is from slaked lime/Calcium hydroxide no wonder it eats there teeth away. one thing that is very much seen is the red stains every on the foot paths and roads where they spit it out all over the place.

The skulls are placed in the cave in oder of their importence in their society, and the reason for doing this is so their ancestors watch over them.

Sue

These poor people had perfect teeth by the look of it.

By the way, I have it on good authority that people are not allowed to chew betel nut in the Alotau markets, so we should be able to walk there without fear. :D:D:D It's funny, but that's what I remember most about Rabaul - red patches all over the ground.

Archived