Experienced cruiser but new to NCL - what should I expect?

kicia

We've been on quite a few cruises on several different lines but have mostly sailed Carnival. We are doing a group cruise on the Norwegian Dawn next February from Tampa. What can I expect to be different, especially from Carnival? Any and all tips will be appreciated.

Thank you!

Well Carnival has FAR better pizza. :)

I'm sure you will enjoy your cruise with NCL. IF you have done the open dining on Carnival, it is similar with NCL. There are more pay restaurants on NCL. IF you wish to dine with a large group, make reservations for the main dining rooms, if able.

kicia,

My family and I have also only sailed Carnival and we booked the Boston to Bermuda cruise for June 2013 (so far away:(). Although we haven't sailed Norweign yet, I would say the price is definately different. I thought not having to fly, as we are from Mass, we would save money. Not so, but we are so looking forward to trying something new. Have a great time on your cruise. I hope you will write a review as I would like to see what your thoughts are.

I have sailed Carnival and NCl, I have a NCl cruise to Bermuda booked for June 2012, I like both lines, the food I find about the same, I like Carnival for the games on board, I think the crew on both are friendly. The cabins are fine on both, I like the NCL bathrooms now with the shower seperate from the toilet area, it can then be used by two people. I thought that I liked the assigned dining on Carnival but the last couple of NCL cruises the anytime dining worked great, even with a larger group. We had 10 people last year and it wasn't a problem at all, we got a table together every night. It comes down with what your preference is.

I think the cabins on Carnival are a bit larger; NCL more colorful. Their bathrooms are compartmentalized, but that space eats into the cabin space. Coffee maker in the cabin. Shows similar, service similar, food I'd give the edge to NCL I think. Freestyle is an adjustment but I really liked it. More upcharge options for dining on NCL. The only current NCL ship with a good waterslide is Epic; otherwise, Carnival beats them hands down (i like the waterslides!) I LOVE the Spinnaker Lounge on NCL Gem and Jewel--the top front deck that is 3/4 windows! Love that and the funky furniture.

have fun! I like both and will continue to sail both.

IMO NCL's "Freestyle Concept" is much more than dining anytime options. It is a way of life, sort to speak. The dress up, or not and eat and play when you want, makes a very laid back, stress free atmosphere. No clocks required! I have been on CCL however, I prefer NCL. In addition, NCL has the friendliest crew at sea.

We've been on quite a few cruises on several different lines but have mostly sailed Carnival. We are doing a group cruise on the Norwegian Dawn next February from Tampa. What can I expect to be different, especially from Carnival? Any and all tips will be appreciated.

Thank you!

The MDR food on NCL runs from average to excellent. The specialty restaurants are a cut above and super.

I think the cabins on Carnival are a bit larger; NCL more colorful. Their bathrooms are compartmentalized, but that space eats into the cabin space. Coffee maker in the cabin.

Got my attention!! Which cruise line has the coffee makers??

I think NCL has the coffee makers in balcony cabins and up! I am looking forward to that on my February cruise!

Great to know... but next question is - do they supply creamer and sugar??

In other words - what do we have to bring to enjoy this coffee maker??

Great to know... but next question is - do they supply creamer and sugar??

In other words - what do we have to bring to enjoy this coffee maker??

They have the hotel type coffee machines in the room with dry creamer And sugar. We always waited and had our coffee at breakfast. The coffee machines in the buffet use real beans and grind them fresh so the coffee is always delicious. There's also room service breakfast with fresh brewed coffee. IMO the coffee machines in the rooms weren't worth the effort that a walk to the buffet would take for a cup. You can bring food from the buffet back to your room whenever you like, so grabbing a cup of coffee and a plate of food at breakfast if you don't know when u will want to eat isn't a big deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Archived