2nd visit to Athens, what to do?

Infi

We will be visiting Athens for the second time in two years this summer. Last visit, we saw most of the typical tourist sites: Acropolis, Olympic stadium, the Agora, temple of Zeus, etc. We really enjoyed our day there, so we wouldn't be opposed to repeating some of those but would like to try something new this time. I plan on touring with a private tour company and would like some suggestions of what are must sees. Have seen references to Cape Sounion and the coast drive, Ancient Corinth, the ruins at Mycenae etc. and was wondering what people have enjoyed in the past. We will be in port from 6am-5:45pm, so we have plenty of time.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Two years ago, on our second time in Athens we went with a private tour guide to Ancient Corinth and the dam. It was interesting, but not wonderful. We'll be doing our third trip to Athens this summer and are trying to decide what to do. I' ve heard that Cape Sounion is very nice.

How about just making it a chill day and getting out and walking around,having coffee at a cafe,a long luncheon in the Plaka,checking out some shops and side streets and then dinner at Daphne's.Just a thought.

If you want to stay in Athens, I'd highly recommend the National Archaeological Museum, plus perhaps revisiting the Acropolis.

If you are interested in history, it'd be hard to beat a day trip to Mycenae, home of Agamemnon (of Trojan War and Greek tragedy fame) -- plus you could probably fit in one other site, such as Corith or Epidavros.

Two years ago, on our second time in Athens we went with a private tour guide to Ancient Corinth and the dam. It was interesting, but not wonderful. We'll be doing our third trip to Athens this summer and are trying to decide what to do. I' ve heard that Cape Sounion is very nice.

We have a tour booked to Corinth and then a winery. What didn't you like about Corinth?

If you want to stay in Athens, I'd highly recommend the National Archaeological Museum, plus perhaps revisiting the Acropolis.

If you are interested in history, it'd be hard to beat a day trip to Mycenae, home of Agamemnon (of Trojan War and Greek tragedy fame) -- plus you could probably fit in one other site, such as Corith or Epidavros.

I will second that, we went a few years ago (its first year open when it was free :p) and it is magnificent. You (or at least we) could spend 2-3 hours there easy.

You also could consider a Temple of Poseidon day trip

You already have been to the Acropolis. Did you also already visit the New Acropolis Museum at its base? IF not, it's well worth a trip if you're going to be in the area again. I would revisit the Acropolis too. Things are constantly changing up there as they continue the reconstruction.

We will be visiting Athens for the second time in two years this summer. Last visit, we saw most of the typical tourist sites: Acropolis, Olympic stadium, the Agora, temple of Zeus, etc. We really enjoyed our day there, so we wouldn't be opposed to repeating some of those but would like to try something new this time. I plan on touring with a private tour company and would like some suggestions of what are must sees. Have seen references to Cape Sounion and the coast drive, Ancient Corinth, the ruins at Mycenae etc. and was wondering what people have enjoyed in the past. We will be in port from 6am-5:45pm, so we have plenty of time.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

The tours outside Athens are an option, but have you been to the Archaeological Museum in Athens (not the new Acropolis Museum)?

I have been to the temple at Sounion and it is worth the trip, but does not compare to the sites in Athens. I think Mycenae is some distance away. Corinth may be with the trip, but there is more to see in Athens.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. We missed the National Archaeological museum or the New Acropolis museum the first go-round, so that's a good suggestion for this trip. I also wouldn't mind some time to wander the Plaka and enjoy a nice meal and people watching.

It seems most are suggesting to stay in Athens. My daughter loves ruins, so I know she would enjoy some of the sites on the outskirts, like the Temple of Poseidon or Mycenae. I have a bad knee and am not as keen on ruins, so it would be nice if we could plan a day where we could both have something to enjoy. Would it be doable to have a half day in Athens (Acropolis/museum/Plaka wandering) and then head out to Cape Sounion or the ruins at Mycenae? Or would that be too much for a day?

Thanks again for the great ideas!

I second the mentions of both the National Archeological Museum (be sure to check the hours before you leave), the New Acropolis Museum, both of which are spectacular.

Of course, both the Plaka and Monastiraki are areas that are fun to explore---stroll, wander, shop, cafes, lunch.

We had fun buying authentic Greek sandals ('just like Jackie had'!) from the Poet Sandalmaker, in Monastiraki:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSK172nWxr3ZVqKbEs-PDzL5KU1K0pxQXOxg7EWBHnN87ZC1QGpMw

http://www.melissinos-poet.com/eng/index.html

Other things you might consider:

--Strolling through the National Gardens (nice cafe there).

--The changing of the guard at the Parliament Building, at Syntagma Square (as long as they're not rioting that day:eek:)

--The Roman Agora/Tower of the Winds (small, compact ruins)

--The Agora (at the foot of the Acropolis)

--Museum of Cycladic Art--haven't been, but it's high on my list

Enjoy Athens (again!)

In terms of ruins, it does appear that you're on a ruins-intensive cruise---Kusadasi (Ephesus), Mykonos (Delos), Katakolon (Olympia), Naples (Pompeii, Herculaneum), and I think there may be a ruins or two in Rome;). DD's ruins cup will surely runneth over!!

Has anyone ever taken the HOHO bus from the port, which requires a change in Athens to the other one that goes around Athens? I wonder how crowded they get and how many people try to board it in Pireaus. We'll be there August 27.

Marcia

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. We missed the National Archaeological museum or the New Acropolis museum the first go-round, so that's a good suggestion for this trip. I also wouldn't mind some time to wander the Plaka and enjoy a nice meal and people watching.

It seems most are suggesting to stay in Athens. My daughter loves ruins, so I know she would enjoy some of the sites on the outskirts, like the Temple of Poseidon or Mycenae. I have a bad knee and am not as keen on ruins, so it would be nice if we could plan a day where we could both have something to enjoy. Would it be doable to have a half day in Athens (Acropolis/museum/Plaka wandering) and then head out to Cape Sounion or the ruins at Mycenae? Or would that be too much for a day?

We spent an hour waiting to enter the new Acropolis Museum and over two hours in the Museum (go to third floor first).

You might be able to do the museum and Sounion, but it would be a push.

We spent an easy day in Piraeus itself, calling at the archaeological museum on the way to the marina and the restaurants and shops. We had a lovely meal sitting watching the yachts coming and going and then an easy amble around the area. It was very pleasant and relaxing compared to the chaos in Athens. The museum was small but interesting.

You can do one of the museums (not both) and then go to Cape Sounion in a day; it would probably make a nice combination given what you say above. Mycenae would probably be too far (and it has some extensive uphill walking to reach the site).

Archived