oceania and kids?

wyomom2

Have only cruised HAL. We always travel with our now teenage children. We would love to try Oceania. Our children are well behaved and pretty low key. I'm guessing from what I read that O might not be the place to bring the family??

Advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Have only cruised HAL. We always travel with our now teenage children. We would love to try Oceania. Our children are well behaved and pretty low key. I'm guessing from what I read that O might not be the place to bring the family??

Advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I believe your guessing correctly. Check out the recent threads on this topic by using the search button on the top of the page.

We have been on a cruise where there were some small children. They were, as are yours, very well-behaved, and we never heard a peep. That being said, there are no activities for kids (with the exception of the Alaska plans). Some young teens played some of the games on our cruise, and frankly they knew all of the current singers, movies, etc., and were killing everyone else.

Other lines have kids' activities, but not Oceania.

It depends on whether your children will be OK if there are no kids' activities for them. That's a question you and only you can answer.

In a recent thread on this topic, one poster opined that it is "cruel" to take children on an Oceania cruise. Another I believe said it was "selfish."

While I would not personally go that far, keep in mind that many if not most Oceania cruisers choose O precisely because they do not want to cruise with children. Couple that with the fact that there are absolutely no children's programs and it is unlikely that there will be other children with whom to "play" or hang out, perhaps the word "cruel" is not misplaced. There are many good choices out there for family cruising but O is not among them.

We have travelled with our teenage children on Oceania a number of times. On every occasion there has been a small group of children on board, all of whom were behaved and well mannered and interacted well with older guests. O did provide some childrens entertainment although I think this is fairly ad hoc and depends on the number of children on board.

Much depends on your teenagers interests and how port intensive the cruise is. Our children love O, but then they arent into kids or teens club activities. Children that like to entertain themselves, and interact well with adults will do well on O. Those that need to be continuously entertained might find O not to their taste.

On our Marina trip lst Aug, there were teens and younger. The teens were young ladies and were given a lot of attention by the crew. The only time we saw any of the younger ones was at meals and they were very well behaved. This is your trip, go for it. Summer also means more children on board--so add 2 more. Pat

..one poster opined that it is "cruel" to take children on an Oceania cruise. Another I believe said it was "selfish."

While I would not personally go that far, keep in mind that many if not most Oceania cruisers choose O precisely because they do not want to cruise with children. Couple that with the fact that there are absolutely no children's programs and it is unlikely that there will be other children with whom to "play" or hang out, perhaps the word "cruel" is not misplaced. There are many good choices out there for family cruising but O is not among them.

Wow, if true, that is a sad commentary on O passengers. I am glad my kids don't have such a prejudice against seniors.

pixars_up_animation_movie-normal5.4.jpg.9ee8eef1a8c1110e5ebf6b7f87210468.jpg

Wow, if true, that is a sad commentary on O passengers. I am glad my kids don't have such a prejudice against seniors.

I don't agree. We all make choices based on preferences. Some people prefer to vacation away from children. Many people choose to go to restaurants where there are not likely to be children. I do not think that is a prejudice.

If you look through posts as to why people choose O, absence of children or few children on board is always among the top 5.

I'm bringing my kids 6 and 8 on the Greek Glory cruise this summer. I wld not have picked O for a cruise to bring kids but it's my parents 40th and I don't think they want to go on a Disney Cruise.

I am one of those ppl who do not like to see rowdy kids in a nice restaurant, when we go out to fancy restaurants we usually hire a baby sitter. When my kids were young my rule generally no kids menu or high chair then leave the kids at home! I also don't like to see ipads or phones at the dining table to distract kids or adults! I'm hoping my kids can sit thru a nice meal if not then they will be eating in the room! Just like at a fancy restaurant ppl pay good money to enjoy their meal and they shld be able to enjoy their cruise without kids or adults being disruptive! It's never too early for kids to learn manners.

My kids are very active and can endure a lot of walking so I'm hoping this port intensive cruise will tire them out by the end of the night!

I'm sorry for the passengers that feel kids will ruin their cruise but it's a big milestone celebration and my kids are coming.

I'm bringing my kids 6 and 8 on the Greek Glory cruise this summer. I wld not have picked O for a cruise to bring kids but it's my parents 40th and I don't think they want to go on a Disney Cruise.

I am one of those ppl who do not like to see rowdy kids in a nice restaurant, when we go out to fancy restaurants we usually hire a baby sitter. When my kids were young my rule generally no kids menu or high chair then leave the kids at home! I also don't like to see ipads or phones at the dining table to distract kids or adults! I'm hoping my kids can sit thru a nice meal if not then they will be eating in the room! Just like at a fancy restaurant ppl pay good money to enjoy their meal and they shld be able to enjoy their cruise without kids or adults being disruptive! It's never too early for kids to learn manners.

My kids are very active and can endure a lot of walking so I'm hoping this port intensive cruise will tire them out by the end of the night!

I'm sorry for the passengers that feel kids will ruin their cruise but it's a big milestone celebration and my kids are coming.

If every parent had your attitude it would never be a problem! Bravo! Enjoy your cruise.

I think most people do not have a problem if the kids are not running amuck & screaming especially during meals

The children we have encountered on O were very well behaved

Enjoy the cruise

airmike2, I don't think you need to apologize to anyone. I feel that we have been offended by being called 'cruel' and 'selfish' by people who do not know us or our kids.

We are on Greek Glory, too. The folks on that roll call are wonderful and I am sure everyone will have a great time! I look forward to meeting you.

Best Regards,

Bob

I don't think there is any "babysitter" service available on Oceania so be prepared to eat one at a time so someone stays in the cabin. (Don't think you can leave young children alone in the cabin)

On our last cruise there were several children in the 6-10year category and it was painful watching them try and sit through a two hour meal in the specialty restaurants or the GDR. The food was unfamiliar to them and no child can be well behaved that long, especially with waits between courses. The waitstaff tried to help but they are on a fast paced schedule. We would usually see the mother or father leave the table to take the kids back to the room just as their delicious food arrived.

Guess they enjoyed a sandwich in the cabin!

We certainly have no objection to well behaved children but children are children and we can only expect so much. Be sure you can deal with your "vacation" be controled by constant attention to the children both on and off the ship.

Some adults behave worse than children, especially when they don't get what they expect. My children were so used to being around adults, that they knew how to behave. I am sure Grandma, Grandpa, Mom and Dad know best and if they believe and know their Grandchildren, children will behave, then we should all be gracious and welcome them aboard. I hope your parents have a wonderful 40th Anniversary. To be honest when we eating in the Polo Club and it took over 3 hours to complete our meal. even I was getting antsy.

Some adults behave worse than children, especially when they don't get what they expect. My children were so used to being around adults, that they knew how to behave. I am sure Grandma, Grandpa, Mom and Dad know best and if they believe and know their Grandchildren, children will behave, then we should all be gracious and welcome them aboard. I hope your parents have a wonderful 40th Anniversary. To be honest when we eating in the Polo Club and it took over 3 hours to complete our meal. even I was getting antsy.

Thank you very much, I'm very looking forward to this cruise, my husband and I have not been on a cruise since our honeymoon and that was on the R ship when it was owned by Renaissance. My kids are like most kids they like to run around and be silly but they are constantly reminded if it is not the proper place to act like that. I've taken my 6 yr old to numerous full length ballet performances, a couple broadway productions and she knows those places she needs to act like an adult and be polite, quiet and respectful and she's sat through all but one with no problem. We have my parents booked in a suite so if worse comes to worst some of us will be doing our meals there!

I am sure you will have a fine time with your kids.

But the OP's question is one that would likely not even be asked on mainstream line boards.

We can all give the "pc" answer (well-behaved kids are welcome everywhere) and sugar coat the truth but the reality is that O is not the "best" cruise line for kids, there are no kids activities, no baby sitters and many cruisers choose O to avoid kids -- check out the threads about "why choose O." That is the truth. It does not make those O cruisers mean and evil. It is simply the reality. If O were seeking to attract families with kids it would offer something for them (such as they are doing on their Alaska cruises).

Given that reality, no one is going to make the children feel "unwelcome" -- that would be mean and evil. And certainly everyone hopes that cruisers on O who bring their kids have a great time -- but that begs the question.

It's one thing to take a child to a two hour ballet or broadway show and insist that they have to behave for that period of time. It's another thing for that child to behave day after day, night after night, meal after meal. No one should expect that of a child, it's just not fair. Thank God there is room service for one of the adults who will have to eat in the room with the kids if and when they do act like children.

I am taking my 5 yr old grandson on Riviera over Easter next year, 2013. He's been on 5 cruises already and is able to handle extended dinners in the main dining room or specialty restaurants with no problem.

As much as some might feel children can get out of hand on some cruises, adults are equally prone to get out of hand. On a Radiance of the Seas cruise in 2011 the adults were so out of hand in the pool deck area day in and day out I never wanted to bring my grandson out there.

Sadly, the fact you are constantly reminded when you sail RCCL or Celebrity of their "guest conduct" policy via notices, tv videos, etc does not bode well for "adult conduct" on most popularly priced ships nowadays.

Worldspan

131 cruises strong

It is clear that O has not designed their vacation/travel experience with children iin mind. No matter how much the parent (or relative) believes their children to be "well behaved" a cruise on O is still not a good fit. There are a number of cruise lines that offer the numerous services that help make the trip fun, etc. for childre. The old expression about a square peg comes to mind when cruisers and potential cruisers entertain the subject of children and O (Alaska '13 excluded).

It is clear that O has not designed their vacation/travel experience with children iin mind. No matter how much the parent (or relative) believes their children to be "well behaved" a cruise on O is still not a good fit. There are a number of cruise lines that offer the numerous services that help make the trip fun, etc. for childre. The old expression about a square peg comes to mind when cruisers and potential cruisers entertain the subject of children and O (Alaska '13 excluded).

That is a decision that only the parents or grandparents can truly make, others notwithstanding!

Worldspan

131 cruises strong

Archived