Where to get Passport stamped?

bmloftis

Hey biker@sea, to continue the theme of zombie threads, lol, do you happen to have a pic of the stamp you got in cozumel at plaza del sol building? I recall seeing you mentioning several times before.

Im heading back in january 2017, thanks!

Just a FWIW FYI: There are a number of countries around the world that have immigration rules that state that any non-governmental stamps in a passport are considered a mutilation/defacing of an official document. They are within their rights to deny you entrance on the basis of a defaced document.

As someone said to me once, remember that your passport is an official identity document and is not a scrapbook. If you really want to collect souvenir stamps from places around the world, I highly suggest a Moleskine pocket notebook. High quality and will last you for years. Get your stamps in there and you will have both a permanent journal and an intact passport. Further, if you are on a cruiseline where the ship keeps your passport throughout the cruise, you still have your Moleskine wherever you may be.

I totally agree. You're Preaching to the choir, as i replaced my passport for this very reason after a cruise in 2012 resulted in some unofficial stamps. I replaced it before traveling to cuba. I wanted to avoid "imperial entanglement" there and subsequent scrutiny that may follow ... Since then ive only added official stamps when given by uniformed officers in immigration facilities. Expensive lesson for being young and uninformed.

However, i would love to take to take my kids in town and have them get stamps in their "travel books like daddy". I was just hoping to see what it looked like in case it was different from what is in puerta maya. Maybe save some time If its the same.

Just a FWIW FYI: There are a number of countries around the world that have immigration rules that state that any non-governmental stamps in a passport are considered a mutilation/defacing of an official document. They are within their rights to deny you entrance on the basis of a defaced document.

As someone said to me once, remember that your passport is an official identity document and is not a scrapbook. If you really want to collect souvenir stamps from places around the world, I highly suggest a Moleskine pocket notebook. High quality and will last you for years. Get your stamps in there and you will have both a permanent journal and an intact passport. Further, if you are on a cruiseline where the ship keeps your passport throughout the cruise, you still have your Moleskine wherever you may be.

Amen!

And then there's those unique situations where you wouldn't even want an official stamp (e.g., the years ago challenge of explaining Israeli stamps on your US passport when entering certain predominantly Muslim countries.

Another good reason to not get stamps where you don't need them is running out of pages for the real stamps that you do need--which then requires obtaining a new passport long before the current one expires.

I also agree that there are certain countries where a passport stamp could be an issue when trying to enter a different country.

On that side thought: I can recall a cruise that had a port stop in Israel. None of the passports were stamped by immigration, but instead had a form stapled to a page. That form had the immigration information, and a stamp, but nothing permanent was put into the passport book.

Given that the US government has ended the practice of adding new pages to a passport, I fear that I'm going to be on a five year renewal timeline - especially when many countries use both a full page for the visa and then put stamps on another facing page.

Some years ago on a visit to Israel we (arriving airline passengers in this case) were given a choice to have either our US passports stamped or have a blank piece of paper the size of a passport page stamped upon our arrival at customs. You were required to keep that stamped sheet of paper inside your passport while in the country (it was not taped or stapled into the passport which left no sign of its presence). After leaving the outbound immigration folks preparing to board your vessel or plane you could remove the stamp and destroy it if you wanted.

I would definitely choose to not get stamped in any Middle Eastern country, the "Russian Stans," or even Cuba if I had the option of a slip of paper instead. Just too many potential headaches, even if the visit was completely legal and for tourism/people to people purposes.

One place I'd like to get a stamp would be Antarctica, but I'm not sure how or even if it would be possible.

One place I'd like to get a stamp would be Antarctica, but I'm not sure how or even if it would be possible.

The Chilean research station at Paradise Bay sets up a makeshift "gift shop", selling t-shirts, post cards, maps and other souvenirs. They also have a rubber stamp that they will use on your postcards or whatever.

The proceeds from the sales helps to fund their operations. I also remember that the ship transported over a number of boxes of fruits and vegetables for the station personnel to enjoy.

The Chilean research station at Paradise Bay sets up a makeshift "gift shop", selling t-shirts, post cards, maps and other souvenirs. They also have a rubber stamp that they will use on your postcards or whatever.

The proceeds from the sales helps to fund their operations. I also remember that the ship transported over a number of boxes of fruits and vegetables for the station personnel to enjoy.

Thanks! And I love that the proceeds are used for a good cause!

I know we won't be tempting fate by getting any passport stamps that aren't official. https://passportinfo.com/souvenir-passport-stamps/

The money quote is:

"Many tourist attractions like parks, temples, and historic sites will have vendors who will stamp your passport with a souvenir stamp for a fee. Two famous examples are the “Checkpoint Charlie” stamp from Berlin, Germany and the Macchu Pichu stamp from Peru. This type of passport stamp is not legal under State Department regulations. Although it’s unusual for travelers to run into trouble because of these unauthorized stamps, it does happen on occasion. Some travelers have had difficulty entering countries like China because of the “fun” stamps in their passports. It’s not worth the risk!"

Further, even if some may be stamped by a government, other countries may still not recognize your "Roatan" stamp as being governmental.

Some years ago on a visit to Israel we (arriving airline passengers in this case) were given a choice to have either our US passports stamped or have a blank piece of paper the size of a passport page stamped upon our arrival at customs. You were required to keep that stamped sheet of paper inside your passport while in the country (it was not taped or stapled into the passport which left no sign of its presence). After leaving the outbound immigration folks preparing to board your vessel or plane you could remove the stamp and destroy it if you wanted.

Some countries won't let you in with an Israeli Stamp hence why they do this. Israel reciprocate with some.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Why not have Disneyland stamp your passport? What about Universal studio? Same thing as what people from Caribbean countries in their passports.

Does every know that for and entry stamp you should have an exit stamp in your passport? How do you prove that you didn't smuggle you with something out of the country?

Hey biker@sea, to continue the theme of zombie threads, lol, do you happen to have a pic of the stamp you got in cozumel at plaza del sol building? I recall seeing you mentioning several times before.

Im heading back in january 2017, thanks!

No.

Sorry I don't have the technical ability. :o