Usual Board Posters

Crusing Bob

Maybe we should have a twitter thread here. You know, we could tell each other when we're going to the supermarket or the post office or walking the dog. Important stuff!

NOT. :D

I know of some posters who no longer post here as often, but that has to do with CC., and other things that have gone on in their lives. They have not substituted Facebook, either.

I am so not interested in Facebook! I did open an account, and read some of my friends' postings for a while. I can't take all that blather!

Now, I only go to Facebook if I receive an e-mail that there's something there I want to participate in.

And I agree with you, Sail, that no one should be posting another's business here without their consent. It's your news to tell.

The irony is the person who did it wants nothing posted about themselves and state so often but went ahead and posted info another person chose not to post.

I have a strong opinion about someone doing that.

They need to rethink that sort of action IMO

The irony is the person who did it wants nothing posted about themselves and state so often but went ahead and posted info another person chose not to post.

I have a strong opinion about someone doing that.

They need to rethink that sort of action IMO

That isn't irony, it's hypocrisy!

I originally signed up on FB to view a friends wedding photos. I do go there daily. Now it is the only way I see pictures of my grand-children. I now have a grandson who was born 3-09-12. For a time I was tired of some of the things going on here. I took a break for a bit but things are on a more even keel and I spend too much time here.

I don't join the FB roll calls for the same reasons you all posted; no ones business. If it should come up I am certain to mention that we have a housesitter. He loves coming over and enjoying our cable when we are gone.

Like anything else, people can only get out of your FB account what you put into it.

As there are more invasions into privacy and frequent security violations, do you think Facebook will fade in popularity in time? So many jobs have been lost, people have gotten themselves in trouble and private information becomes less private when Facebook permits access........ will people start to roam away from it?

As there are more invasions into privacy and frequent security violations, do you think Facebook will fade in popularity in time? So many jobs have been lost, people have gotten themselves in trouble and private information becomes less private when Facebook permits access........ will people start to roam away from it?

It doesn't seem like they will in the near future...everything you read on the web has a 'like' button. And so many people can't do anything in their life without picking up their smartphone and posting it on FB.

I originally signed up on FB to view a friends wedding photos. I do go there daily. Now it is the only way I see pictures of my grand-children. I now have a grandson who was born 3-09-12. For a time I was tired of some of the things going on here. I took a break for a bit but things are on a more even keel and I spend too much time here.

I don't join the FB roll calls for the same reasons you all posted; no ones business. If it should come up I am certain to mention that we have a housesitter. He loves coming over and enjoying our cable when we are gone.

Like anything else, people can only get out of your FB account what you put into it.

Sorry to go off topic but have to Congratulate you on the new baby Grandson.

Loads of wishes for all happiness and joy from him and your family. :)

I doubt it. As nearly 1 in 7 persons world wide are members (nearly a Billion people!) :eek: it doesn't seem likely to fade away anytime soon...

I doubt it. As nearly 1 in 7 persons world wide are members (nearly a Billion people!) :eek: it doesn't seem likely to fade away anytime soon...

Loads of that Billion in membership are folks like me who have an account only so I can see photos and read updates friends from around the world post. I just about never post anything except for 'nice photos' so my 'membership' is counted but irrelevant.

I know there are many who posts what they had for dinner and show a photo of the plate but when will they get tired of that?

I too am not interested in FB. I do have an account, but used a different 'name'....and it is freaky how many people are associated with me, despite my 'other' name. Must be by e-mail or something. Don't know how it works, don't care to, and am completely not interested in what you had for dinner last night.

I can see the merit of keeping up with family who live far away. I had high hopes of using it as another way to keep in touch with my beloved neices,...but they chose to stop using it when the stalkers and cyber bullies became too much for them. Sad.

I recently read that My Space, Twitter and FaceBook were merging into one super-colossal social network site. The new name? My Twit Face.

(Sorry, might be an old joke, I just heard it:))

The one advantage to FB HAL looks at the comments and answers back. I posted a comment yesterday and the HAL Facebook Desk sent me a response today. I never saw that on CC

Wonder if they would be able to tell me how to cancel my FB account once & for all!

Loads of that Billion in membership are folks like me who have an account only so I can see photos and read updates friends from around the world post. I just about never post anything except for 'nice photos' so my 'membership' is counted but irrelevant.

I know there are many who posts what they had for dinner and show a photo of the plate but when will they get tired of that?

True. :) Most recent stats indicate that FB has approx 483 million Daily Active Users and 845 million Monthly Active Users. Granted many are not posting but "lurking". Also, new sign-ups are running between 400-700k per day :eek:

screen-shot-2012-02-01-at-1-51-22-pm.png

I would never consider any of the social media playgrounds. Some one recently described face book as a "wonderfull use of technology by morons" and an other " home to the inscure and narcissist of today":o

I too avoid cell phones because of the almost obsessive culture that has been fostered by them. To many see their I-what ever is their closest friend and can't function without it. Thats sort of sad texting, sending pictures to each other, telling the world what you ate for lunch and what size your underware is..

The concept of instant friendship escapes me. To me a friend is someone who becomes a friend, through a long and trusted association: not a key stroke.

And you know I live a happy and full life without any of that fluff. So did my parents and theirs too.

Now there is an oxymoron!

I realized it seemed a little awkward when I wrote it and so I will clarify: I did not keep up with second cousins and as we are all now in our 50's, even my first cousins and I would email maybe once a year and usually there was a "reason". Now I can see pictures of the kids daily, see and comment on articles and things (oh our grandmother would have LOVED Facebook), and of course there are tons of old friends from the small island where we spent summers who are posting old photos- it's just a great feeling of community. Of course it doesn't replace bringing a covered dish to my new neighbor and carrier pigeon, but it is a nice way of keeping in touch.

I think the vast majority of you who have posted negatively about Facebook have also said that you do not use it, would never use it, or use it very, very rarely. Try to imagine a world where people do use it and are not randomly solicited by strangers, or robbed, or anything else negative. And for God's sake, I certainly do not become friends with a keystroke, which, considering we are all typing on a keyboard right now is a little bit ironic. These are old friends, current friends, family, work colleagues.

Facebook may have problems associated with it but those problems usually exist for people who have no discretion about what they post.

I would never consider any of the social media playgrounds. Some one recently described face book as a "wonderfull use of technology by morons" and an other " home to the inscure and narcissist of today":o

I too avoid cell phones because of the almost obsessive culture that has been fostered by them. To many see their I-what ever is their closest friend and can't function without it. Thats sort of sad texting, sending pictures to each other, telling the world what you ate for lunch and what size your underware is..

The concept of instant friendship escapes me. To me a friend is someone who becomes a friend, through a long and trusted association: not a key stroke.

And you know I live a happy and full life without any of that fluff. So did my parents and theirs too.

On the otherhand, friend shave scattered over the world and we lost contact with each other, until Facebook came along. We have reconnected and even if we are not constantly communicating we are aware of what is happening in each other's lives.

That does not mean we all post just the mundane activities of everyday life. ;)

It is just another way of communicating; just like Cruise Critic is. I feel as if I have gotten to know a number of regular posters here even though we have never met in real life. I hope to some day meet them on a cruise - or on land.

I realized it seemed a little awkward when I wrote it and so I will clarify: I did not keep up with second cousins and as we are all now in our 50's, even my first cousins and I would email maybe once a year and usually there was a "reason". Now I can see pictures of the kids daily, see and comment on articles and things (oh our grandmother would have LOVED Facebook), and of course there are tons of old friends from the small island where we spent summers who are posting old photos- it's just a great feeling of community. Of course it doesn't replace bringing a covered dish to my new neighbor and carrier pigeon, but it is a nice way of keeping in touch.

I think the vast majority of you who have posted negatively about Facebook have also said that you do not use it, would never use it, or use it very, very rarely. Try to imagine a world where people do use it and are not randomly solicited by strangers, or robbed, or anything else negative. And for God's sake, I certainly do not become friends with a keystroke, which, considering we are all typing on a keyboard right now is a little bit ironic. These are old friends, current friends, family, work colleagues.

Facebook may have problems associated with it but those problems usually exist for people who have no discretion about what they post.

Exactly! Facebook is as private as WE, the users, make it. It can be VERY private or very public...you choose.

For those of you receiving notifications for "friend requests" from people whose e-mail address is in your e-mail address book...when you joined FB you signed up using an e-mail account.

Somewhere along the way you either agreed to sync that e-mail account to your FB account, meaning your address book would also be in sync with FB OR you didn't set your settings correctly to NOT sync FB to your e-mail account.

That's how they "know" that your friends in your address book are also on FB, therefore that's how they find you and request friendship.

It's not some slimy way that FB is selling your e-mail address book...it happens for the simple reason that you didn't set your privacy setting to "not sync" your accounts.

It's not that you did it intentionally, it's tricky...you really need to check your privacy settings weekly and read carefully.

Every single thing can be set to private.

I've been on FB for over 3 yrs and I don't get friend requests from anyone. I have my privacy settings set so nobody can search for me, nobody can send me friend requests and nobody can message me.

I'm "Friends" with who I WANT to be friends with and that's my family that live away and true friends who are in my life in other ways than just FB.

People shouldn't blame FB for intruding in their private lives, it's up to them to keep their private lives private.

That's what privacy settings are for.

Exactly! Facebook is as private as WE, the users, make it. It can be VERY private or very public...you choose.

For those of you receiving notifications for "friend requests" from people whose e-mail address is in your e-mail address book...when you joined FB you signed up using an e-mail account.

Somewhere along the way you either agreed to sync that e-mail account to your FB account, meaning your address book would also be in sync with FB OR you didn't set your settings correctly to NOT sync FB to your e-mail account.

That's how they "know" that your friends in your address book are also on FB, therefore that's how they find you and request friendship.

It's not some slimy way that FB is selling your e-mail address book...it happens for the simple reason that you didn't set your privacy setting to "not sync" your accounts.

It's not that you did it intentionally, it's tricky...you really need to check your privacy settings weekly and read carefully.

I've been on FB for over 3 yrs and I don't get friend requests from anyone. I have my privacy settings set so nobody can search for me, nobody can send me friend requests and nobody can message me.

I'm "Friends" with who I WANT to be friends with and that's my family that live away and true friends who are in my life in other ways than just FB.

People shouldn't blame FB for intruding in their private lives, it's up to them to keep their private lives private.

I too use the privacy settings, however FB does not make their setting easy to use especially for people that are not too keen with computers. Also, as private as we make it, we have no idea just what information FB can give out to third parties, it is a risk we all take when we join.

I too use the privacy settings, however FB does not make their setting easy to use especially for people that are not too keen with computers. Also, as private as we make it, we have no idea just what information FB can give out to third parties, it is a risk we all take when we join.

It is tricky. I admit it took me a while to set it the way I felt comfortable with.:cool:

I even have a "dummy" account on FB that I go on and look at my real profile to be sure that "non" friends can't see anything. So far so good.

On the other hand, I don't put anything on FB that I don't want to share.

I have blocked a couple of my great nieces and nephews who are in their upper teens because frankly...I didn't NEED to know THAT side of them.:eek:

I think it's definitely a generational thing. lol I'm in my mid 40's and think some people put WAY too much on FB.

I'm sure they think I'm silly for feeling that way.

Way too much trouble for some of us.

We'll no sooner figure out whatever the sync and e-mail and address book is all about and they'll be changing whatever again. Seems we're constantly hearing about the latest "oops", so sorry we had a breach in security or 'sorry', didn't you know we'll share your info and save it into the next millenium etc?

Not worth the trouble to some of us to figure out all their settings that don't seem to be reliable anyway.... if one is to believe what we hear on the news on a regular basis about Facebook.

I didn't use my main e-mail account to sign up to FB. I created a separate account with another host that I don't even go to.

There are ways to be secure, and yes it does take some time on our part to be secure but it's really no worse than shopping and using a credit card.

Everytime we swipe that card we run the risk of having our identity stolen.

A year ago Christmas the TJ Maxx store in my area had their credit card scanners hacked and people who shopped with a CC were warned that their identities, account numbers, pin's etc., could have been exposed.

Scary.

Was talked into joining FB by a friend. Now I regret it. Have tried to cancel my account but have been unsuccessful & the FB Help line is useless. I am not the least bit interested in who is thinking whatever! I never go there even if I received a notice that a friend has posted something - like, who friggin cares!!!

http://www.facebook.com/help/account-settings-and-deletion

On that page it discusses what the first step is (what you have rejected), then goes on to say:

If you do not think you will use Facebook again and would like your account deleted, keep in mind that you will not be able to reactivate your account or retrieve any of the content or information you have added. If you would like your account permanently deleted with no option for recovery, log in to your account and then submit your request here.

I found it by going to that arrow next to Home, clicking on Help, clicking on Facebook Basics, then on "Account Settings & Deletion" under Manage Your Account. Very first thing to click on is "How do I permanently delete my account?" and if you read through all the paragraphs under that topic, you get to what I quoted above.

I realized it seemed a little awkward when I wrote it and so I will clarify: I did not keep up with second cousins and as we are all now in our 50's, even my first cousins and I would email maybe once a year and usually there was a "reason".

I see email as being more formal now, too. I need a good reason to email. (and an ironclad reason to call someone) And you can't have freewheeling conversations with a group of people without someone getting annoyed and wanting to be taken off of the email, when you're emailing a group of friends. Discovered that in the days before the 20th HS reunion, and we all ended up joining FB so that the silly conversations could happen without "clogging" up inboxes (not our fault if someone doesn't know how to limit FB emails).

It is tricky. I admit it took me a while to set it the way I felt comfortable with.:cool:

I even have a "dummy" account on FB that I go on and look at my real profile to be sure that "non" friends can't see anything. So far so good.

On the other hand, I don't put anything on FB that I don't want to share.

I have blocked a couple of my great nieces and nephews who are in their upper teens because frankly...I didn't NEED to know THAT side of them.:eek:

I think it's definitely a generational thing. lol I'm in my mid 40's and think some people put WAY too much on FB.

I'm sure they think I'm silly for feeling that way.

I definitely know what you mean...I'm in my 50's and I do not need to know what my kids are saying, I had many talks with them about personal family information, once I had to tell my son to remove a post saying RIP when my uncle passed away, not a good way to hear about a death. Incidentally, that's how my SIL found out that her own mother died:eek:

Way too much trouble for some of us.

We'll no sooner figure out whatever the sync and e-mail and address book is all about and they'll be changing whatever again. Seems we're constantly hearing about the latest "oops", so sorry we had a breach in security or 'sorry', didn't you know we'll share your info and save it into the next millenium etc?

Not worth the trouble to some of us to figure out all their settings that don't seem to be reliable anyway.... if one is to believe what we hear on the news on a regular basis about Facebook.

It is a lot of trouble, just a few months ago, I decided that I had too much out there, so I removed all my info and blocked all my photos, I had to be out of my mind to post some pics of me and my family at parties and at a Winery tour :eek: Now all they see is my name...no more age, town, schools etc. It is nice to keep in touch but those I do comment with already know about me, no need to share with coworkers and friends of friends, thats for sure.

Archived