Usual Board Posters

Crusing Bob

I am an very frequent poster here and will NOT go to Facebook to post anything more than Happy Birthday or love the photos for a few of my friends that post there.

CC is my Crusiing posting home and it will remain so as long as I am welcome to come here.

I have no use for Facebook and don't like it.

Have others gone there? I have no clue as I never look at the HAL page there.

I am an very frequent poster here and will NOT go to Facebook to post anything more than Happy Birthday or love the photos for a few of my friends that post there.

CC is my Crusiing posting home and it will remain so as long as I am welcome to come here.

Totally agree. Maybe it is a generational thing, but IMHO way too much is shared for the sake of being able to share it. I work for an attorney and a week does not go by that someone is in the office carping about how someone got something off of Facebook and is using it without their permisssion. My attorney keeps telling them don't put it on Facebook if you don't want the world to know about it. Same goes for my travel plans.

I'm with you, Sail. FB is a real Peyton Place.

I'm not that crazy about sharing my vacation plans on facebook...a very foolish thing in my opinion. I'm not into having all my coworkers, relatives, friends and friends of friends know when and where I'm going and when my house will be vacant.

I stay out of Facebook because of data mining.

Signed up for FB a long time ago and put nothing out there about myself ... and every now and then I get an email from FB that so-and-so wants to be my friend. Well, in some cases, these are people whose email addresses are in my Hotmail account contact list ... and I've not had any communication with them in more than 5 years. So, where oh where are these people finding me, especially since I accidently mis-spelled my last name when I signed up for FB.

It's a big TMI site.

Totally agree. Maybe it is a generational thing, but IMHO way too much is shared for the sake of being able to share it. I work for an attorney and a week does not go by that someone is in the office carping about how someone got something off of Facebook and is using it without their permisssion. My attorney keeps telling them don't put it on Facebook if you don't want the world to know about it. Same goes for my travel plans.

I agree! I don't have a facebook account. A friend's son told him he HAD to get one. the son set it up, and my friend got loads of friend request from people claiming to have known him in school. There were a lot of people he did not remember, and he found it creepy. he made his son cancel the account.

I'm not that crazy about sharing my vacation plans on facebook...a very foolish thing in my opinion. I'm not into having all my coworkers, relatives, friends and friends of friends know when and where I'm going and when my house will be vacant.

Frank

It disturbs me when someone here takes it upon themselves to comment when someone else is on a cruise. If that person wants it known, they will say so. For another poster to blithely mention it when the cruiser has chosen to not to me is violative and should not happen. If the CC poster did not ask to be included in the Bon Voyage list, does not say on the Roll Call or on the CC Forum they will be on a particular cruise, take that as a signal they do not want it published on the internet they are on a cruise at that time. It has happened and is very wrong IMO

I would NEVER post on Facebook we are cruising despite the fact we always have a housesitter.

I use to be a Frequent Facebooker, started in Facebook in late 2007 and was in it many hours a day playing games and what ever everyone does in FB till the end of this past year. I cut out the games, basically got sick of them, then slow but sure just got tired of Facebook in general. I now go in there maybe twice a week for a few minutes and mostly those 2 times are just to do an update on my employers Facebook page that I am in charge of.

It disturbs me when someone here takes it upon themselves to comment when someone else is on a cruise. If that person wants it known, they will say so. For another poster to blithely mention it when the cruiser has chosen to not to me is violative and should not happen. If the CC poster did not ask to be included in the Bon Voyage list, does not say on the Roll Call or on the CC Forum they will be on a particular cruise, take that as a signal they do not want it published on the internet they are on a cruise at that time. It has happened and is very wrong IMO

I would NEVER post on Facebook we are cruising despite the fact we always have a housesitter.

I too have a house sitter, my kids:eek::D. On my roll call, I am only the 3rd person posting, one of the other posters said there are more on holland's facebook roll call....which is a shame as we need them over here LOL

I don't belong to Facebook, Twitter or anything like those social networks.

I have no desire to join them.

Maybe we should have a twitter thread here. You know, we could tell each other when we're going to the supermarket or the post office or walking the dog. Important stuff!

NOT. :D

I wonder if some of the posters who were posting on a very regular basis have decided to go to Facebook.

I know of some posters who no longer post here as often, but that has to do with CC., and other things that have gone on in their lives. They have not substituted Facebook, either.

I am so not interested in Facebook! I did open an account, and read some of my friends' postings for a while. I can't take all that blather!

Now, I only go to Facebook if I receive an e-mail that there's something there I want to participate in.

And I agree with you, Sail, that no one should be posting another's business here without their consent. It's your news to tell.

I wonder if some of the posters who were posting on a very regular basis have decided to go to Facebook.

I don't know if I qualify as "regular" or not, but I whole heartedly say "NO" to Facebook.

(As an aside FB pretty much ruined a cruise critic meet-n-great, someone started a FB page, things were decided there & mentioned here - but in a way that made those not on FB to feel left out...)

Not me..I dislike Facebook & really become annoyed when a business only advertises on Facebook..We have a new seafood place in town & the only way I can pull up a menu is by signing into Facebook..Hate that, & refuse to do it..Tried to close my Account out once, but haven't had much luck with that..Also we continue to get msgs which say John Jones or Mary Smith wants to befriend you..Why in blazes would I want to post to someone who our Granddaughters are Friends with, just as they would not like to post on our Friends pages..And I agree with others, there is too much info. being divulged!

I'm perfectly happy to post here..Although I realize I spend much too much time on this site..

Cheers.. Betty

P.S. Told the kids I would no longer post on Facebook..

/SIZE]

I am on CC daily; check FC when I have a notification.

FC is great when trying to contact folks in an emergency or following one. Used it for the first time after a terrible neighborhood fire to check on folks well being thru a family member.

I don't post any info about my travels.

Are you saying that you don't think they're posting here?

Whom in particular are you not seeing posting here on CC? I've seen the regulars posting here on what I think is they're usual basis.

I have a FB account - hardly use it - just to see my friends' pictures, etc. and, it is important for our charity I am involved with. I far prefer CC.

Like others, I would not post vacation plans on FB. Not interested in HAL's FB page as to me, it is not confidential enough (my own feeling I know).

I've been fortunate to have active roll calls and great cc'ers so I feel no need to go elsewhere.:D

Was talked into joining FB by a friend. Now I regret it. Have tried to cancel my account but have been unsuccessful & the FB Help line is useless. I am not the least bit interested in who is thinking whatever! I never go there even if I received a notice that a friend has posted something - like, who friggin cares!!!

I have a FB and I check it multiple times throughout the day. I also have five kids, three of whom are in college, and this is a primary means of communication for us. I have appr 50 family members on FB and it is such a blessing to be able to see pictures of all of my cousins' kids and things without the formality of an email. I also have 125 colleagues in the legal community on my friends list and we use it to communicate with each other during "off" hours (what are those?) as well as within closed groups for issues such as quick scheduling problems and notices of meetings, or when someone in the community has died (arrangements), etc. It has rapidly supplanted email as my #1 on line communication tool- in fact, I can't remember the last time I got a personal email from someone. It seems as though the post office only delivers junk mail and email is now for bills and discount cruise offers!

Obviously I have a work email; that is a different thing.

I am a lawyer who practices family law, and I can't remember the last contested custody issue that did NOT involve Facebook. People: use your privacy settings, they are there for a reason. If you are trying to get custody, do not post a picture of yourself with a gun or drinking shots off a woman's stomach, do not post nasty things about the other parent, do not carry on an open affair and block only your spouse from seeing things, because everyone else will see it and tell him/her... basically, do not conduct yourself as though it is an anonymous place because it isn't. And if you have a child support matter pending do not post pictures of yourself on multiple cruises!

I, too, would like to know where all of the old posters have gone. Love CC but when it gets to seem like the same people arguing about the same things, becoming more and entrenched, and it makes me want to rip my hair out. It becomes the war of the prim and proper who long for Ye Olden Days vs. the complete anarchists, when in fact the two sides have far more in common than not. On Facebook, the person is fleshed out a little more, you can "see" who you are talking to, and I think people are a whole lot less likely to say inflammatory things.

However, I would never post any cruise info, mainly because I don't want anyone knowing how much time I spend at sea instead of tracking down their ex's Facebook posts!

Was talked into joining FB by a friend. Now I regret it. Have tried to cancel my account but have been unsuccessful & the FB Help line is useless. I am not the least bit interested in who is thinking whatever! I never go there even if I received a notice that a friend has posted something - like, who friggin cares!!!

Top right corner, little triangle symbol. That is a drop down menu. Click on "account settings", then choose "deactivate account".

Top right corner, little triangle symbol. That is a drop down menu. Click on "account settings", then choose "deactivate account".

Deactivate doesn't mean deleted. The account can be reactivated easily. I forget how to delete the account all together but it sure took a long time to figure out as I recall.

What I can't figure out is when you do a "search" for somebody like your own name, if you know they are not on facebook, the search result shows the name as if they are on facebook. I sure don't know who comes up under my name, but it is not me.

I love facebook as a way to keep up with friends and family. However, I have no interest in using it as a substitution or additon to CC. When i post on CC that I am going on a cruise, almost no one knows who I am and where I live. I don't have that kind of anonymity of FB, and I would never advertise the fact that I plan to be out of town on FB.

Archived