Bringing wine on board Princess at Southampton Port, UK

Cruisin' & Breezin'

Ok, I know lots of questions about bringing wine on board have been asked throughout this board :rolleyes:, but most of the answers correspond to FLL port or other US based ports. How about Southampton, UK? Are the circumstances the same. Can I check an obvious wine carrier (6-8 bottles) with my checked luggage and still get it to my cabin? I checked the ship's wine list and the few that I could recognize are not my favorites. I tend to favor Spanish wines, as well as Malbecs and Shyraz. Would like to bring my own on board to drink (dont mind corkage fee), but dont what to have it confiscated :eek:. I would appreciate information specific to this port and this cruise line. I know Barcelona is a very easy port to deal with in terms of bringing wine on board any cruise line :D, for those interested, but would like to know your experience in Southampton.

Thanks!

Ok' date=' I know lots of questions about bringing wine on board have been asked throughout this board :rolleyes:, but most of the answers correspond to FLL port or other US based ports. How about Southampton, UK? Are the circumstances the same. Can I check an [u']obvious[/u] wine carrier (6-8 bottles) with my checked luggage and still get it to my cabin? I checked the ship's wine list and the few that I could recognize are not my favorites. I tend to favor Spanish wines, as well as Malbecs and Shyraz. Would like to bring my own on board to drink (dont mind corkage fee), but dont what to have it confiscated :eek:. I would appreciate information specific to this port and this cruise line. I know Barcelona is a very easy port to deal with in terms of bringing wine on board any cruise line :D, for those interested, but would like to know your experience in Southampton.

Thanks!

We sailed from this port last August and had no problem with wine. There is a Marks & Spencer not far from the pier. Their selection is OK. Don't know about Malbecs.

On the Princess website, go under "learn about our cruises" to get to "onboard experience" then to "gifts & services" to Princess Cellars and culinary delights. In there you will find a list of wines and spirits you can preorder - it isn't their complete wine list, but it will give you an idea what's available.

LARGIN posted this back on March 1:

Here is the list I posted in September..

Princess Wine List as of September 2011..

WHITE WINE

Chateau ste. Michelle Riesling .. $26

Gutes Domtal Niersteiner .. $24

Piesporter Goldtropfchen.. $27

Bolla Soave.. $25

Fazi-Battaglia Verdicchio.. $27

Fetzer Fume Blanc.. $24

Kenwood Sauvigon Blanc.. $25

Nobilo Sauvigon Blanc.. $32

Pouilly-Fume, Domaine Lebrun.. $30

Sancerre, Michel Redde, “Les Tuilleres”.. $46

Santa Carolina Reserve Sauvigon Blanc..$24

Silverado, Miller Ranch Sauvigon Blanc.. $35

Danzante Pinot Grigio.. $32

Santa Margherita, Valdadige d.o.e. Pinot Grigio.. $41

Chablis, “Les Ecuries” Seigneurie De Tanley.. $32

Laboure-Roi Chablis, Premier Crui.. $46

Laboure-Roi Chassagne Montrachet,.. $59

Kendall-Jackson Vitners Reserve Chardonnay.. $32

Laboure-Roi Vallon d’or Pouilly Fuisse,.. $34

Robert Mondavi Private Selection Chardonnay.. $27

Rosemount Diamond Label Chardonnay.. $29

Simi Chardonnay.. $32

Sylvester Chardonnay.. $22

Sylvester Kiara Private Reserve Chardonnay.. $25

Wente Morning Fog Chardonnay.. $25

Robert Mondavi Woodbridge Chardonnay.. $24

Michel Leon Gewurztraminer.. $32

Rex-Goliath Moscato.. $26

Beringer White Zinfandel.. $27

La Roserale Rose D’Anjou.. $29

Robert Mondavi Woodbridge White Zinfandel.. $25

RED WINE

Beaujolais-Villages Seigneurie Arcelot.. $24

Bolla Amarone Classico.. $66

Bolla Valpolicella.. $25

Castle Rock Pinot Noir.. $32

Laboure-Roi Gevrey-Chambertin.. $42

La Crema Pinot Noir.. $36

Lincourt Santa Rita Hills Pinot Noir.. $38

Robert Mondavi Private Selection Pinot Noir.. $28

Palazzo Brunello Di Montalcino D.O.C.G. $49

Chianti Classico Reserve.. $32

Diseno Malbec.. $34

Stefano Farina Barbaresco.. $38

Stefano Farina Barolo.. $45

Luce Della Vite.. $79

Tenuta Dell’Ornellaia Ornellia.. $140

Caliterra Tributo.. $31

Benzinger Rose Ranch Melot.. $34

Columbia Crest Grand Estates Merlot.. $31

Ferrari Carano Melot.. $40

Fetzer Melot.. $30

Franciscan Melot.. $38

Robert Modavi Private Selection Merlot.. $27

Round Hill Merlot.. $24

Santa Carolina Reserve Merlot.. $25

Sylvester Kiara Private Reserve Merlot.. $25

Chateau Bel Air Bordeaux Blend.. $32

Mouton- Cadet Bordeaux Blend.. $25

Chateauneuf-Du-Pape.. $31

Chateau De Grancey Cotes-Du-Rhone.. $25

Casa Lepostolle Cabernet.. $29

Caymus Cabernet.. $85

Caymus Special Selection Cabernet.. $155

Chateau ste. Michelle Cabernet.. $35

Don Maximiano Founders Reserve Cabernet.. $85

Kendal-Jackson Vitners Reserve Cabernet.. $32

Kenwood Jack London Vineyard Cabernet.. $48

Robert Mondavi Private Selection Cabernet.. $27

Robert Mondavi Reserve Cabernet.. $135

Santa Carolina Reserve Cabernet.. $25

Silverado Cabernet.. $58

Sylvester Cabernet.. $22

Sylvester Kiara Private Reserve Cabernet.. $26

Wente Southern Hills Cabernet.. $25

Wolf Blass Yellow Label Cabernet.. $34

Robert Mondavi Woodbridge Cabernet.. $24

Duckhorn Paraduxx.. $79

Elements by Artesa.. $44

Franciscan Magnificant.. $58

Murrieta’s Well “The Spur”.. $49

Opus One.. $169

Spellbound Petite Sarah.. $34

Grant Burge Benchmark Shiraz.. $28

Rosemount Diamond Label Shiraz.. $31

Kenwood Yalupa Old Vine Zinfandel.. $30

Ravenswood Vintners Blend Zinfandel.. $28

Seghesio Zinfandel.. $38

Sextant Zinfandel.. $31

CHAMPAGNE/SPARKLING/DESSERT

Veuve Clicquot Brut.. $74

Dom Perignon.. $179

Korbel Brut.. $25

Martini & Rossi Asti Spumante.. $27

Korbel Rose Brut.. $28

Domaine Chandon Brut.. $35

Errazuriz Late Harvest Sauvignon Blanc (375ml).. $21

SOMMELIER’S SPECIALS

Shug Merlot.. $58

Frogs Leap Zinfandel.. $30

Selbach Oster Kabinett Riesling.. $26

Clos Du Bois Cabernet.. $42

Duckhorn Melot.. $65

LARGE FORMAT BOTTLES

Beringer Cabernet 1.5 Liter.. $49

Jordan Cabernet 1.5 Liter.. $129

Le Volta Super Tuscan 1.5 Liter.. $79

Thank you all for your replies. It is good to have port specific information for this kind of issues. I understand that in Australia they are more strict but had no idea about the european ports other than Barcelona. We sailed from there 3 years ago and it was a breeze. There is even a duty free liquor store after security so you can buy your wine and spirits and bring them onboard without any issues. That is only for embarkation day. Have no idea how it works on itinerary stops.

Ooh, where did you find a copy of the wine list? We are going on the Grand soon (first cruise with Princess) and would love to have a look at the list but haven't been able to find it anywhere :(

Thanks

The list posted by JimmyVWine is the one I was referring to. I don't know if it applies to all ships and sailings but I figure it should be a nice example to follow. As far as I could see there were no Spanish wines and only 1 malbec that I don't recognize. I have no problem paying corkage fee if I get to drink something I know I will like. What I would be not too happy about is paying Princess price and markup and then ending up not liking the wine. I figure If I bring my wine and pay corkage, everybody wins :)

We've never had problems in SOU taking wine on board and we go there every summer. We usually go to ASDA (It's the UK version of Walmart) by West Quay and load up on wine.

You referred to Australia being more stringent. We found that to also be the case when we were there a little over a year ago. Before when we were in Sydney you could go to the wine shop & they would send a case to the ship. Last time we were there, they couldn't do that, but there was not trouble at all with each of us carrying on a few bottles.

We've never had problems in SOU taking wine on board and we go there every summer. We usually go to ASDA (It's the UK version of Walmart) by West Quay and load up on wine.

You referred to Australia being more stringent. We found that to also be the case when we were there a little over a year ago. Before when we were in Sydney you could go to the wine shop & they would send a case to the ship. Last time we were there, they couldn't do that, but there was not trouble at all with each of us carrying on a few bottles.

Good to know you can carry a few bottles on board in Australia. We still have that in our bucket list, but hopefully soon….;)

We are embarking in Southhampton in June, but will be in London for a couple days pre-cruise. Is anyone aware of any good wine shops in London? We will be staying at a hotel near the London Eye, but will be out and about in the city, and it would be great to find a place to pick up a few bottles.

We sailed on the Grand Princess from Southampton in May 2011 to the Norwegian Fjords. We had no trouble at taking wine on board in both hand luggage and cases however it did have to be drunk in the stateroom. We did take an unfinished bottle of wine, purchased on board in the restaurant with us after a meal and went to sat in a bar area on board and a waiter did check it was one of their wines!

Softball, look for a Marks and Spencer or other large dept store with a food/liquor section.

Or ask the concierge to help you find a Tesco - they are a grocery store but with decent wine prices (by London standards). There is one near Picadilly Circus and probably are others throughout London.

We are embarking in Southhampton in June, but will be in London for a couple days pre-cruise. Is anyone aware of any good wine shops in London? We will be staying at a hotel near the London Eye, but will be out and about in the city, and it would be great to find a place to pick up a few bottles.

We stayed at the County Hall Marriott (at the Eye) 2 years ago. There is a wine shop close by but be sure to take lots of money because it is expensive. About 2 blocks from the hotel we found a little food market (like a 7-11) which had a pretty good wine selection at much lower prices than the wine shops & the big stores like M&S.

If you are on Caribbean P round British Isles, the 1st port of call is Guernsey....known as a "low tax" destination, so might be more cost effective to wait a day!

Archived