My 2 cents-chairs on Promende deck availability

JJPacer

I recall a legnthy disucssion about the availability of deck chairs on the promenade deck after the Lanai cabins were added on the Maasdam, and having 2 chairs reserved for each lanai cabin.

I am happy to report, that we used the deck chairs on the promenade daily, and there were ALWAYS chairs available. We were not in a Lanai cabin. There was no issue at all.

It was a great cruise! No Worries in that regard.

Thank you so much for posting this observation..

We happened to have a lanai on our Bermuda cruise, with two deck chairs reserved, but every time we walked the Promenade deck, there were always chairs available..

We always spend our days out & enjoy the Promenade deck..When we cruise with Friends, on some sea days & were booked in outside cabin, it was not always possible to get 4 chairs together.. But were able to eventually move one or two & have four together..

It seems some posters were making a big deal out of the lanai conversions, & have categorically stated they would never cruise on a ship with Lanai cabins, which IMO is not justified..

Cheers...:)Betty

I recall a legnthy disucssion about the availability of deck chairs on the promenade deck after the Lanai cabins were added on the Maasdam, and having 2 chairs reserved for each lanai cabin.

I am happy to report, that we used the deck chairs on the promenade daily, and there were ALWAYS chairs available. We were not in a Lanai cabin. There was no issue at all.

Good to know Pacer, thanks for posting the information.

It seems some posters were making a big deal out of the lanai conversions, & have categorically stated they would never cruise on a ship with Lanai cabins, which IMO is not justified.

I recall similar dire statements when open dining started. :D Now it seems quite popular.

We got off Veendam last Sunday and had a Lanai for most of the cruise. There were always non-reserved deck chairs available. Most people reserved them by leaving clothing on them all day, although those same people were almost always in the chairs.

The only problem we had was that there were always people sitting in our chairs so we would have to kindly ask them to move. We finally realized we should do what everyone else was doing and leave a jacket etc on the chair. No one sat on our chairs after that (we did not mind if we were not using them but preferred not having to ask people to move). Most seemed to know they were reserved (lots of Australians and Germans on this cruise and it always seemed to be a Germain passenger who told us they did not understand) and just figured they would use them until we showed up.

I recall similar dire statements when open dining started. :D Now it seems quite popular.

We were on Veendam a week ago and almost everyone we met was doing open dining. We dined in open seating with new friends one night and there was no wait at all.

We are rethinking our 8:00pm Main Dining and plan to try 5:45pm. Neither are our ideal dining time, and we found we were always missing some activity we would have enjoyed in the Crows Nest every night at 9:30pm.

In addition. it seemed that there were more chairs available at the aft pool on our Maasdam cruise in March. We attributed it to people using the chairs on the Promenade deck that went with the cabin that they paid for instead of going to the aft pool area. Even the Lido pool area seem to have more availability. We could be completely wrong, and there may be no correlation, but that is the way it seemed to us.

We were there with you! Nice cruising with you both J & J!

As for deck chairs... At very peak times it was hard to find two together unless you settled for the ones with less view and the steel railing. Otherwise I found no difficulties and never had to bring pillows and sit on the floor! It was a great cruise with lots of fun and interesting people to share it with!

The Lanai cabins get a premium price and HAL is using them to make money and keep other aspects of the cruise up to standards we expect. I'm glad they're doing that. I think it was very innovative. m--

Archived