Athens, Rhodes, Santorini, Mykonos at END of October

AlwaysReadyToSail

We are planning a cruise that will hit Athens, Rhodes, Santorini, and Mykonos and I was wondering how the weather usualy is during this time(endo of October, beginning of November)?

Which of these places are beach related and is the water warm enough to swim?

What are other options besides beaches?

Not really wanting to do a cruise line shore excursion if we can keep from it but any info on transportation and/or what to see and do? I am very unfamiliar with Greece.

I figure in Athens we will try to see the Acropolis but so far that is our only plan.

THanks!

We are planning a cruise that will hit Athens, Rhodes, Santorini, and Mykonos and I was wondering how the weather usualy is during this time(endo of October, beginning of November)?

Which of these places are beach related and is the water warm enough to swim?

What are other options besides beaches?

Not really wanting to do a cruise line shore excursion if we can keep from it but any info on transportation and/or what to see and do? I am very unfamiliar with Greece.

I figure in Athens we will try to see the Acropolis but so far that is our only plan.

THanks!

Read through the pages on this board and you will find a wealth of current info on all your ports...you can also Google them for pics and more info.

Each one of these ports presents a number of options of things you can do during your stop. I wouldn't count on the beach by the end of October/early November.

On Cruise Critic there is a section on Ports -- you might want to read some of the information there to get ideas of things that might interest you. Any of the ports you name can be done on your own. Mykonos and Rhodes are particularly easy. There are many threads on how to do your own touring in Athens. I haven't been to Santorini but you can also do your own thing there, it just requires a little more planning due to the tendering and the need to get up the steep cliff once you arrive ashore (via cable car, donkey, or just walking the steps); same holds true for getting back at the end of the day -- you must allow sufficient time as a line tends to build up for the cable car going down.

We are planning a cruise that will hit Athens, Rhodes, Santorini, and Mykonos and I was wondering how the weather usualy is during this time(endo of October, beginning of November)? Which of these places are beach related and is the water warm enough to swim? What are other options besides beaches? Not really wanting to do a cruise line shore excursion if we can keep from it but any info on transportation and/or what to see and do? I am very unfamiliar with Greece. I figure in Athens we will try to see the Acropolis but so far that is our only plan. THanks!

Lots to see, enjoy and do in Athens, Mykonos, etc. based on our past experiences there. Below are some of my visuals and added details on some options for both of these places. Walking around are both excellent potentials in each place.

On weather, at this time of the year, I would suggest being prepared for and plan on some "layering". The only thing certain is change, including cooler in the early am's and late evenings, etc., at this time of the year. On the exact dates you be visiting, that info can be obtained by going to this below website, plugging in the location name and then going to the lower area for an earlier date to what happened there last year on that date, past averages, etc. Check out:

http://www.wunderground.com

As an example for Athens on November 1, the weather on that date in 2011 was a high of 60 °F and a low of 41 °F with no rain. The average on that specific date is a high of 67 °F and a low of 52 °F. In recent history, the record high was 78 °F (2004) and a low of 32 °F (2004).

On November 2, as another examples, for Mykonos, the weather on that date in 2011 was a high of 60 °F and a low of 57 °F with no rain. The average on that specific date is a high of 64 °F and a low of 58 °F. In recent history, the record high was 73 °F (2008) and a low of 53 °F (2005).

Does this help give you a better idea on early November weather there? Go to that website and get the exact specifics for your exact schedule.

For those who have not yet visited Greece, the good news is that the wonderful Plaka is right handy and next door to the famed Acropolis area. That makes things so much easier. On going up the hill, be careful as the stone steps can be slick in areas. And you will be looking up and forgetting to watch where and how you are stepping. It's well worth the effort getting there to the top. It is amazing history and architecture!! Also, we had a private guide to help us on this spectacular site. It's not cheap, but it was well worth it to know more on what you are seeing and why it is so important.

You can check out my earlier post on “Athens Tips, Suggestions, Examples to Enjoy!” for many details, ideas and interesting visuals on this great city. Lots of ideas here from me and others experienced with Athens.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 77,224 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here’s a sampling of the narrow, flowered street in Mykonos in the Greek Isles with its many shops. The streets were made so narrow in order to fend off pirate attackers. It is an island with lots of history and legend dating back thousands of years, including connections to ancient Greek mythology. Ionians settled on Mykonos in the early part of the 11th century BC. As Delos developed as a sacred center, Mykonos was under the influences of the different people, including Phoenicians, Macedonians and Athenians. With the rise of Alexander the Great, the fate of Mykonos became a commercial center for agriculture and maritime trade. Mykonos flourished with enormous wealth during Roman occupation during the reign of Augustus Caesar. During the Middle Ages, Mykonos fell under the Venetians and later were victimized by the Saracens and latter the Turks. Starting in the 1950’s, its unique architecture, seclusion and hospitality have made it a haven for the rich and famous.:

1A-Myk-FlowerStreet.jpg

This harbor view in Mykonos shows one of the charming windmills. From as early as the 16th century, these are one of the most recognized landmarks of Mykonos. The island is 33 square miles in size and has a population of 9,300, mostly in its main village.:

1A-Mykonos-Harbor.jpg

On Acropolis hill with our very knowledgeable private guide we lined up at the site, she helped us appreciate all of the history and architectural details there at this famed site going back 700 years before Christ.:

OnAcrop.jpg

Some of the interesting architectural details on the upper levels of the Parthenon:

Acrop.jpg

Outdoor theatre adjoining the Parthenon in Athens:

OutdoorTheatre.jpg

Outdoor dining in the Plaka in the heart of Athens’ historic area. Lots of music and fun, shopping, music, plus good food. Don't miss this part of Athens!!:

PlakaDining.jpg

• 1 month later...

In my opinion, late October is the best time to visit these ports. During the summer and early October can be too warm and too crowded. Do suggest that you do tons of research on each port. When you are on board the ship, you will be happy that you did:-)

MarLin527 (Jeff): I'm on the October 26th sailing with AlwaysReadyToSail. Last Med cruise we left on Nov. 1 from Venice. Had a only one day it rained (poured in Split), otherwise it was very pleasant. Layering clothes is the key.

Archived