Strange communication from Princess

Infi

I'm sailing on a Greek Isles cruise on Princess in June that calls in Turkey. From previous experience in the Med and CC, I know that the Turkish ports are part of the Schengen agreement .

Are you sure Turkey is in the Schengen Agreement area? I did not think so.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_4361.html

If you're doing a tour with an independent company (Alla, Denrus, Red October, etc.) in St. Petersburg, then they will arrange your visa. At some point they will need your passport information. Don't worry, you're covered.

You will need a Visa.

Ensure that the Independent Tour Operator provides it as part of their

Tour.

Actually, you will not get a visa added to your passport. The tour operator will arrange for your entry. When you go through Russian immigration, they will need to see your independent tour ticket.

By the way, Princess may issue warnings that you must have a Russian visa if not on a Princess tour. Ignore those messages. The only time you need a true Russian visa (which must be obtained in advance of the cruise) is if you are touring on your own, not a good idea unless you are fluent in Russian and are not expecting to see a taxi or other public transportation at the pier.

And when you go through Russian immigration, ignore any signs that say Princess tours only. The immigration people do not care. Princess is just trying to get those with independent tours into a long line that is marked for non-Princess tours.

Got the same notice prior to a Med cruise on the Ruby this past July. I also wondered why they sent the notice to U.S or Canadian citizens but then it occurred to me that when they send the notice out not everyone will have filled out the passport info in the personalizer and they may not have the citizenship of all passengers at the time they send the notice so they just send to all to make sure everyone gets the word.

Thank you. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.

JEMS, on our last Med cruise (2010) that called in Turkey, we embarked in Venice and our cabin steward collected our passports on that first day. He checked us off on a list, gave us a receipt, and it was all very official. We were told it was due to the Schengen argeement and we received our passports back after the calls in Turkey. We also received landing cards that we had to drop off in a box when we disembarked in ports there.

We are US citizens, but all passengers' passports were collected regardless of nationality. I'd recommend bringing along a paper copy of your passport if you're the type who likes to bring a passport ashore as ID. It's not the same, but better than nothing. I hope that helps.

We were on Ruby last month and European passports were not collected. My husband is Canadian and I am English. Cabin steward only collected his for our Turkish stops. This was different from 2008 when they collected both.

Surprised (and confused) to see this thread resurrected from earlier this year. :confused:

Yes, Princess collected our passports (US citizens) when we visited Turkey on our cruise in 2010, but not in 2012. Not sure what's the reason for the change, but it was a nice surprise to not be without our passports for part of the cruise. So, I correct my earlier statment - it looks like Princess doesn't collect US citizens' passports anymore on itineraries that call in Turkey.

As for St. Petersburg, if you do an independent shore excursion with a respected tour operator (DenRus, Red October, etc. that are recommended here), they will arrange for your visa. Your tour ticket from them will serve as your "visa" when going through immigration in SPB. (The tour operator will be holding your real visa on the other side of immigration.) We did this last year and it was quick and easy.

Surprised (and confused) to see this thread resurrected from earlier this year. :confused:

Yes, Princess collected our passports (US citizens) when we visited Turkey on our cruise in 2010, but not in 2012. Not sure what's the reason for the change, but it was a nice surprise to not be without our passports for part of the cruise. So, I correct my earlier statment - it looks like Princess doesn't collect US citizens' passports anymore on itineraries that call in Turkey.

See my response before yours :) Canadian, US and any other than European passports were collected last month. Maybe Port order has something to do with it?

See my response before yours :) Canadian, US and any other than European passports were collected last month. Maybe Port order has something to do with it?

Misread your post! :o Very strange that sometimes they collect them and sometimes they don't. Maybe it is port order?

At any rate, it can't hurt to be prepared with an extra copy of your passport.

Archived