Oslo on our own

We are on the Emerald Princess arriving Mon June 4 from 10am to 7pm. I have a plan for the day and would like to know if it seems reasonable in our time frame. Any suggestions and improvements would be appreciated.

We will purchase an Oslo Pass from the tourist information centre at the terminal.

We will start by taking the ferry to Bygdoy to see the Fram, Kon Tiki and Viking Ship Museums (are all of these worthwhile - because we have the pass could we manage all three?)

From there take bus 30 then 20 to the Vigelandsparken Sculpture Park - use Rick Steeves walking tour for this.

Not sure if we should take the time to go to the Holmenkellen Ski Jump - how much time would it take to get there and to see it and is it worthwhile? (I think it is metro #1 we need for this) If we do go, what is the best way back to city centre?

If we do not go to Holmenkellen, can we take the Underground train to City Centre? Where do we get this from the Sculpture Park? or is there a better method of transportation to the city centre?

We would like to see Oslo Radhus, Oslo Domkirke and Akerhus Slott - are these all within walking distance? What stop do we get off at for these?

If we have time, we would also like to see the outside of the Opera House.

Many things to see - not a lot of time - we also need to have lunch somewhere - can we use credit cards for this or do we need NOK? Any suggestions?

Sorry for so many questions but we would like to see as much as possible while we are there. We are a group of 4 so we can cover a lot of ground in a short period of time.

Thanks to anyone that can provide information.

I can answer your first question---We(5 of us) did what you are planning to.Purchased the Oslo pass at the tourist centre at terminal and took the Bygdoy ferry. Saw the Viking Ship,Fram,and Kon Tiki museums.We really enjoyed the Fram and Viking museums.If time is a factor I would skip the Kon Tiki museum.If not see all three.Oslo is a relatively small city and very doable on your own.

You will enjoy Oslo

Sounds like you have one seriously busy day planned ;)

The ferry to Bygdøy is easily accessible from the cruise pier. I assume you dock next to Akershus Festning? In that case it's a two minute walk, and you do pass the Rådhus on your way. Take some time to walk around it if you want to enjoy the full view. (And if you need a morning coffee, there's a brilliant place behind the Rådhus, called Fragrance of the Heart or something like that. They have a special morning deal, all coffees are 20 NOK before 10.30, and the coffee is GOOD.)

Whether you should do all the three museums or not depends on what you're interested in. Personally, I don't find the Kon Tiki og Fram-museum very appealing at all, but I love the Viking Ship Museum. However, it's a small museum, and can easily be done in an hour without rushing anything.

Have you considered the Folk museum? It's very close by, and if the weather is nice, it's always a winner. I love seeing how people lived here in Norway "back in the days", and the stave church is beautiful.

From Vigelandsparken you can grab bus number 20 to Galgeberg and jump off at Majorstuen, then go to the subway station and hop on an eastward bound subway back to the city centre. Or the ski jump, if you prefer, but I fear it will be a bit tight if you want to do this AND see all the sights of the city centre.

I'd take a subway to Oslo S, and exit on the seaside, giving you a two minute walk to the Opera house. After seeing the Opera, you could go back to where you exited and head up the main parade street, Karl Johan. Make sure you have a map of the city centre (they probably hand them out at the tourist information at the pier).

Anyway, halfway up Karl Johan you will come across the Oslo Domkirke, and then you can take a left to head over to Akershus Festning. Up there you will probably have a brilliant view of your cruise ship too :)

Places for lunch: most places allow ordinary credit cards, just ask in advance if it's something other than Visa or Mastercard. I'm fond of a pasta/pizza place called Olivia, it's located on Aker brygge (across from the cruise pier). But you may not be anywhere near there when you want your lunch.

But in total, Oslo is very doable on your own. All you need is a decent map, a few pointers on which busses/trams/subways you need and you're good to go.

Most locals speak english well enough to help you in case you need it too.

We are on the Emerald Princess arriving Mon June 4 from 10am to 7pm. I have a plan for the day and would like to know if it seems reasonable in our time frame. We would like to see Oslo Radhus, Oslo Domkirke and Akerhus Slott - are these all within walking distance? If we have time, we would also like to see the outside of the Opera House.

Many things to see - not a lot of time - we also need to have lunch somewhere - can we use credit cards for this or do we need NOK? Any suggestions? Sorry for so many questions but we would like to see as much as possible while we are there. We are a group of 4 so we can cover a lot of ground in a short period of time. Thanks to anyone that can provide information.

As noted by HelloMoo, Oslo is fairly compact, but I would offer a couple of "cautions". There is the question of what and how do you want to “ENJOY" and "EXPERIENCE" things in the Baltics, Europe, etc?

Rush-rush and gulp it down like soda pop or beer . . . OR . . . sip and savor the moment like fine wine, doing people watching, sensing an enjoyment of life and the humanity, the natural beauty, the architecture, history and charm? It's your choice. I like to be honest and make sure people understand their many options and timing trade-offs.

We want to see it ALL and/or LOTS!!! Right? BUT, it's not what you see, but what you remember and enjoy. Try to do a lot, but not too much that it ALL just blurs together in a confusing manner.

Yes, you should be able to grab lunch and put it on a credit card. BUT, I would suggest doing some more advance reading on these options so that you understand more of the background and history for what's connected with what you will see here. Below are a few of my highlights. This includes how much you are into art, including Munch's famed "Scream" that just got huge international attention over the sale for one of his art pieces going for $120 million. See a few of my visual samples below.

Is Oslo’s City Hall of interest? It has some unique art on its insides. The Nobel Peace Prize is awarded here annually in early December.

You asked "Not sure if we should take the time to go to the Holmenkellen Ski Jump". I would skip it. It is a bit out of your way. Be sure to allow time for walking around, enjoying the various art and architecture items, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 78,100 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 68,132 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Vigeland Park has a wide variety of outdoor sculptures in a super, wonderful setting that is a highlight for Oslo. There is a wide variety of art, water features, spectacular settings, etc. Its admission is free and the views and art are "priceless". It is open 24/7 so hours are not an issue.:

1A-Oslo-VigelandPk.jpg

This picture shows the main, historic fortress next to where many cruise ships dock in Oslo. The fortress construction started around the late 1290’s. The very interesting Norwegian Resistance museum can be visited there. Norwegian Royalty have been buried in the Royal Mausoleum in the castle. A portion of this fortress was replicated at the Norway pavilion at Disney’s Epcot Center.:

1A-Oslo-Harbor-OldFortress.jpg

Norway’s Royal Palace and a main Oslo shopping area:

1A-Oslo-RoyalPalace.jpg

Inside the National Gallery that is handy to visit in the main downtown, here is one of Munch's famed "Scream" pictures and other art.:

1A-Oslo-NatGalMunch.jpg

Oslo’s new Opera House just open right on the waterfront:

1A-Oslo-NewOpera.jpg

Sailing out from Oslo with the red brick City Hall in the background and the surrounding areas and “hills” showing around this so-called “fjord”.:

1A-Oslo-SailingOut.jpg

We would like to see Oslo Radhus, Oslo Domkirke and Akerhus Slott - are these all within walking distance? What stop do we get off at for these?

I can confirm that you're scheduled to dock next to Akershus, so Akershus Slott will be right next to your ship, and Oslo Rådhus will be right in front of it.

The ferry to Bygdøy leaves from in front of the Rådhus at 10:15, 10:45, 11:05, and then every 20 minutes after that. There are two stops: Dronningen and Bygdøynes. The Viking Ship museum is about 8 minutes' walk from Dronningen, and the Fram and Kon-Tiki are right next to Bygdøynes.

It's about 15 minutes' walk between the Fram/Kon-Tiki and the Viking Ships, or you can take the bus 30, which runs every 10 minutes. Unfortunately, the bus route is a loop, so while it's a simple 3-minute trip from Vikingskipene (the viking ships) to Bygdøynes (where the Fram and Kon-Tiki museums are), it's more complicated going the other direction. You can take a bus the entire way, but it will loop down to the beach and wait a bit before starting the return trip. Alternatively, you can cut the northbound trip down to 8 minutes if you get off at Bygdøhus and cross the street to catch the next northbound bus from there.

Like the others, I quite like the Folk Museum, especially in nice weather. However, if you're visiting Skansen in Stockholm, it will be quite small in comparison!

If you want to eat lunch close to noon, I would visit Vigelands Park after lunch. This way you can take the ferry to the Viking Ships, the short bus ride to Bygdøynes, and then catch the ferry back downtown. The ferry is very close to Aker Brygge, which is indeed a nice place to have lunch, or you can head up to the central street of Karl Johans gate, a few blocks behind the Rådhus on the other side of the the open square. As mentioned, the Domkirke is down this street to the right. (The street runs from the Palace - at the end of the street to the left - past the National Theater, University, and Parliament, where it becomes pedestrian-only and the cathedral is a few blocks further.) On the other side of the square from the cathedral is a very old restaurant & cafe called Stortorvets Gjæstgiveri that serves some traditional Norwegian dishes and has outdoor seating in the courtyard in good weather. After lunch, it's a quick walk over to the Stortinget subway station on Karl Johans gate, where you can catch any westbound train to Majorstuen. In front of the station, catch the 20 bus, the tram 12, or take a right on Kirkeveien for 10 minutes to reach Vigelands Park.

If you'd rather visit Vigeland's before lunch, you can follow HelloMoo's suggestion and either head downtown after or up to Holmenkollen if you have time. Near the Holmnkollen subway stop (on the line 1 towards Frognerseteren) is Holmenkollen Restaurant which has a large terrace and a great view over the city. (The ski jump is a few minutes walk further up the hill.)

Would the HoHo bus be a good option in terms of saving travel time between the various sites? I believe that public transportation is a good option when you have lots of time. When on a short cruise day schedule, travel time is important.

Would the HoHo bus be a good option in terms of saving travel time between the various sites? I believe that public transportation is a good option when you have lots of time. When on a short cruise day schedule, travel time is important.

Smart observations and a very wise summary. Travel time can be very limited and valuable. Depending on how many cruise ships and/or other tourists are in port that day, such HoHo bus could work out well and/or they could be slow and crowded as you wait for your bus to come, etc. Personally, ship tours are not always the best, nor cheap, but they can be fairly efficient when you want to reach and see a certain range of different places in a city that has many options as Oslo offers. Such ship tours may also give you a good "overview" for the town, what's there, etc.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 78,100 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 68,132 views.

I believe the HoHo bus in Oslo only runs every 30 minutes, so you could be stuck waiting a while for the next one. Also, Oslo doesn't have particularly large streets, so bus routes are not always the most direct routes between locations. For example, last summer they were working on the subway downtown, so it was closed on weekends. They scheduled a bus to replace the route that ran every 5 minutes or so, but because of traffic, one-way streets, etc. a trip that usually took 5 minutes by subway ended up taking 15-20 by bus.

Personally, I think Oslo's transit system is very efficient, and while I can see the HoHo being advantageous in some other cities, I don't really think there's a significant benefit (transportation-wise) in Oslo. But that's just my 2¢. There are certainly some HoHo advocates on this board!

Thanks to HelloMoo and Kaisatsu for all the practical advice. I appreciate getting all this advance information. I'm sure as I finalize my plans I will have more questions and help from experts like yourselves is much appreciated!

Thanks for the advice Terry, but I have done hours and hours of research on all of our ports so I could determine what I want to see in each port - hence the question, is it doable.

I may never go to Oslo again and want to see as much as I can - again a personal choice.

Again, thanks to all!

We're in Oslo on the 22nd but only from 7am to 3pm. I thought I read somewhere that many of the museums/galleries were free but that only appears to be on some days.

So, if you were getting your party off the ship at, say, 9am and had to be back by three, what would you do?

The fortress is right at the cruise port and the Resistance Museum is there right? My party definitely wants to do the National Gallery to check the Scream off their lists, but what else would you do? With less than six hours is the Oslo Pass worth it or would it not pay off?

We're in Oslo on the 22nd but only from 7am to 3pm. I thought I read somewhere that many of the museums/galleries were free but that only appears to be on some days.

So, if you were getting your party off the ship at, say, 9am and had to be back by three, what would you do?

The fortress is right at the cruise port and the Resistance Museum is there right? My party definitely wants to do the National Gallery to check the Scream off their lists, but what else would you do? With less than six hours is the Oslo Pass worth it or would it not pay off?

If you google the website for the Oslo card, you can find out the admission prices for the museums. This will enable you to calculate whether it is worth while buying it, bearing in mind the 20% discount at the terminal. We used it for transport and admission to The Viking Ship Museum and the Folk Museum and broke even.

This really depends on your interests. Scenic viewpoints? Old buildings? Viking history? Norwegian culture? In general, many people consider Oslo's must-sees to be Vigelands Sculpture Park and the Viking Ship museum, but obviously that's just a general idea.

If you're going to visit the National Gallery, how much time to you plan to spend there? Are you mostly planning to see The Scream, or do you plan to explore the rest of the collection? There's a single room dedicated to Munch (and there are typically signs pointing the way), so it's possible to nip in and see The Scream and be back out in 20 minutes. If you want to view the whole collection, it can take an hour or two depending on your pace and interest. From my recollection, the bulk of the collection is Romanticism, which really isn't my favorite, so I don't tend to spend much time lingering over a lot of the works (Harald Sohlberg being the major exception). Without an OsloPass, admission to the gallery is 50 NOK.

I'm not a huge fan of the Resistance Museum, but I'm also not much of a WWII history buff. While the museum does have quite a few artifacts on display, the bulk of the information is written accounts of resistance activities, and I found the layout of the museum to be a bit stuffy to stand and read so much text. Interesting, yes, but it's personally not one of my top choices.

For what it's worth, here is my own personal "Top 10" of Oslo's attractions:

1. Vigelands Park - A park full of sculptures celebrating the human form in all walks of life. In exchange for studio space, artist Gustav Vigeland donated all of his later works to the city, all of which were installed in the middle section of Frogner Park. The sculpture park comprises primarily the center axis of Frogner Park, and takes around 45 minutes to enjoy at a leisurely pace. (Note that the figures are all nude, in case that matters.)

2. Norwegian Folk Museum* - An open-air museum housing a collection of historic buildings from all around Norway, including an iconic wooden stave church (which is unfortunately under renovation this year). Exhibits explore various facets of Norwegian culture, and reenactors demonstrate traditional crafts and cooking. The structure is similar to (but much smaller) than Skansen in Stockholm. A full visit, including wandering the grounds, can take a few hours.

3. Viking Ship museum - This is the home of the three viking burial ships and the archaeological finds that were discovered along with them. It does not provide much of an overview of viking history in general, but the ships themselves are reasonably famous and impressively old and well preserved. There's not a lot to see in the museum, so a visit typically takes around 30 minutes.

4. Fram Museum - The Fram polar exploration ship is housed in a large building with interesting displays about polar exploration both in the Arctic and the Antarctic. The ship itself is open to visitors so that you can explore inside and try to imagine what it might have been like to spend a winter frozen in the pack ice.

5. A stroll down Karl Johans gate - Karl Johans gate is Oslo's central street, stretching from the Royal Palace at one end to the central station at the other. Along the way it passes the National Theater, Oslo University, Stortinget (parliament), and the Oslo Domkirke (cathedral). The lower half of the street is a pedestrian-only shopping area.

6. National Gallery - Home to Munch's world famous painting The Scream as well as a small collection of his other works. The museum also houses numerous works by other Norwegian artists and a few pieces by some of the big international names.

7. Exploring the grounds of Akershus Fortress* - The grounds around the Akershus Fortress are open to the public and provide great views over the Oslofjord (not much like the rest of the famous western fjords but still some pretty lake-like scenery). Antique cannons line some of the ramparts, and one side provides a close-up view of your ship's upper decks if you happened to dock at the main cruise pier.

8. Walking up to the roof of the Opera House* - Oslo's new opera house was completed a few years ago along the waterfront near the central station. The design was developed to turn the opera into a public space as well as a functional building, and ramps lead all the way from street level up onto the roof of the opera house, creating an interesting exhibit of modern architecture and providing a great view over the harbor.

9. Kon-Tiki Museum - This museum dedicated to Thor Heyerdahl's expeditions does not have a lot to see if you're just popping in for a quick visit. However, Heyerdahl's exploits themselves are fascinating and if you find the subject matter interesting, it's worth spending the time to read the various exhibits.

10. Holmenkollen* - The ski jump perched high on the hills above the city is one of Oslo's icons. While it's easy to spot the fixture from many parts of the city, in nice weather the hill (and the jump itself) provide a dramatic view down over the city and the Oslofjord.

(Note that those attractions marked with * are best enjoyed in good weather.)

I appreciate getting all this advance information. I'm sure as I finalize my plans I will have more questions and help from experts like yourselves is much appreciated! Thanks for the advice Terry, but I have done hours and hours of research on all of our ports so I could determine what I want to see in each port - hence the question, is it doable. I may never go to Oslo again and want to see as much as I can - again a personal choice. Again, thanks to all!

From Meg/kaisatsu, she has given a super excellent summary of the many options in Oslo. On the question of . . . "is it doable?", that's a hard one for others, outsiders to answer for you. It can clearly be "done!". Personal interests and travel style are uniquely . . . YOUR CHOICE! For the whole Baltics, there are some very serious "pacing" questions. Lots and lots of great and interesting options there in this part of the world. The Baltics are a very "port-intense" area. As noted on the National Gallery, you can quickly go in and out in 20 minutes. It is not a massive, five-palace collection of buildings like you have at the Hermitage.

It's great you have lots of advance research. That really helps. BUT, how hard you push to do lots and lots is your decision and those in your party. I like to do more and more. My wife is less interested in that aggressive style of travel. Second, how many ship are in port and the weather that day can affect how much can be done, your logistics that day, length of lines, etc. Lots of variables!!! Good luck.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 68,752 views.

3. Viking Ship museum - This is the home of the three viking burial ships and the archaeological finds that were discovered along with them. It does not provide much of an overview of viking history in general, but the ships themselves are reasonably famous and impressively old and well preserved. There's not a lot to see in the museum, so a visit typically takes around 30 minutes.

I am absolutely not as knowledgeable about Oslo as you are, having been there only once, but I sort of disagree with that. I visited the Viking Ship Museum, and in addition to the ships themselves, I was very interested in the display of all the exhibits that were found in the burial grounds, and the explanations that go with them do give some overview of viking life. The explanations are in a booklet provided at the entrance. I was fascinated by the craftsmanship on many of the items (the sledges are wonderful, I didn't think the Vikings were such delicate artists.) and we ended up spending about 2 hours in that museum. You can certainly make a quick tour around the ships in 30 minutes but I think there is more to see.

Of course, with everything the OP wants to pack in one day, there probably won't be time to tour extensively the museum, but for other visitors, it is really worth spending a little time there.

From Meg/kaisatsu, she has given a super excellent summary of the many options in Oslo. On the question of . . . "is it doable?", that's a hard one for others, outsiders to answer for you. It can clearly be "done!". Personal interests and travel style are uniquely . . . YOUR CHOICE! For the whole Baltics, there are some very serious "pacing" questions. Lots and lots of great and interesting options there in this part of the world. The Baltics are a very "port-intense" area. As noted on the National Gallery, you can quickly go in and out in 20 minutes. It is not a massive, five-palace collection of buildings like you have at the Hermitage.

It's great you have lots of advance research. That really helps. BUT, how hard you push to do lots and lots is your decision and those in your party. I like to do more and more. My wife is less interested in that aggressive style of travel. Second, how many ship are in port and the weather that day can affect how much can be done, your logistics that day, length of lines, etc. Lots of variables!!! Good luck.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 68,752 views.

Thanks Terry! That's what I LOVE about CC - getting everyone's take on things and being able to use all the great information to make your cruise exactly what you want it to be!

Less than 30 days now - can't wait!!

Diane

I am absolutely not as knowledgeable about Oslo as you are, having been there only once, but I sort of disagree with that. I visited the Viking Ship Museum, and in addition to the ships themselves, I was very interested in the display of all the exhibits that were found in the burial grounds, and the explanations that go with them do give some overview of viking life. The explanations are in a booklet provided at the entrance. I was fascinated by the craftsmanship on many of the items (the sledges are wonderful, I didn't think the Vikings were such delicate artists.) and we ended up spending about 2 hours in that museum. You can certainly make a quick tour around the ships in 30 minutes but I think there is more to see.

I might be biased, but I thought the exhibits at the National History Museum were far more extensive and informative than the Viking Ship museum, since they include finds from many different sites (and not just burial sites). They used to offer guided English visits by archaeology students at the university, which were fantastic, but I haven't seen the listings lately.

I figured putting times on things would ruffle a few feathers, but I thought the information might still be useful. 30 minutes might have been a bit short, but it is a relatively small museum, compared to something like the Vasa Museum, which is a similar premise. Of all the visitors I've hosted, none have ever spent more than an hour at the museum. That doesn't mean that you can't, just that on average many people don't.

Wow, thanks for all the great info on Oslo!

I'm just wondering about public transit. Let's say we're at the fortress. How long does it take to get to, say, the National Gallery?

If it looks like we need to take transit, the Oslo pass is looking like a better deal.

Wow, thanks for all the great info on Oslo! I'm just wondering about public transit. Let's say we're at the fortress. How long does it take to get to, say, the National Gallery? If it looks like we need to take transit, the Oslo pass is looking like a better deal.

From that great docking location at the Fortress, the City Hall is only about two blocks away and then it is another three more blocks more to the National Gallery. It is a really easy walk with lots of different buildings, public art, etc., to see and experience as you make this fairly short journey I did it and loved all that I explored and saw during that time in their downtown.

Below are a few more of my visuals from Oslo to get people excited about visiting there.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 78,768 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 68,842 views.

Nice Oslo park, water feature in the heart of the shopping area you will see when walking to the National Gallery.:

ParkKids.jpg

Oslo's National Theater in the heart of its downtown. Norway has had many famed authors and their statues are in front of this theater.:

1A-Oslo-Nat.jpg

More visuals showing the wide range of art by Vigeland at the large park named for him in Oslo:

1A-Oslo-VigParkStat6.jpg

1A-Oslo-VigParkStat8.jpg

OslVigPkIronGate.jpg

This is the museum for the Nobel Peace Prize that is located on the harbor near City Hall:

1A-Oslo-NobelMusPeach.jpg

Any advice about the Norwegian Telecom Museum? I work in this industry and have seen pictures of some of the items so thought I might drop by to pick-up a postcard to mail to work.

I figured out the bus system.

Wow, thanks for all the great info on Oslo!

I'm just wondering about public transit. Let's say we're at the fortress. How long does it take to get to, say, the National Gallery?

If it looks like we need to take transit, the Oslo pass is looking like a better deal.

As Terry explained, the walk to the National Gallery is not very long (around 10 minutes). Oslo is a very small city, so it's not hard to just walk around if you're planning to focus on the attractions downtown. This would include everything along Karl Johans gate (the palace, National Theater, Stortinget/parliament, Oslo Domkirke/cathedral) as well as the National Gallery, Akershus Fortress, and even the new opera house.

Really, you can walk just about anywhere in Oslo, but to make the most of a port day, I would recommend using public transit to get to Vigelands Park, the museums at Bygdøy, Holmenkollen, the Munch Museum, botanical gardens, and any other non-central attractions. For example, to walk from the City Hall to Vigelands Park generally takes 30-40 minutes, which is fine if you're just out for a stroll, but if you want to see more of the city, it can use up a bit of your time.

Any advice about the Norwegian Telecom Museum? I work in this industry and have seen pictures of some of the items so thought I might drop by to pick-up a postcard to mail to work.

The Telecom Museum is really just a section of the Museum of Science & Technology. It's an interesting museum with lots of hands-on exhibits, but it is targeted mostly towards children, encouraging them to explore various facets of the scientific and technological domains.

The English guide doesn't cover the telecom exhibits, but it might give you an idea of what the museum as a whole is like:

http://www.tekniskmuseum.no/information-in-english/english-guides

Unfortunately, I can't recall any of the telecom exhibits in particular. :(

We are on Emerald Cruise and dock at 10 am- 7 pm. Was wondering if the following itinerary is feasible in this time frame?

From cruise terminal, take a tram to Vigelandsparken (The Sculpture Park)number 12 Majorstuen. Then from the park you can take the bus, 20 Skøyen to Olav Kyrres plass and change to bus 30 Bygdøy and then you will end up at the Viking Ship Museum and the Norwegian Museum of Cultural History (and Kon-Tiki, Fram Museum etc.). Then you can take a ferry from the Kon Tiki Museum to the harbour in oslo (nearby the cruise terminal) and take a walk around the city centre to see the fortress, the royal palace and the National Gallery.

I also wanted to see Akershus Castle. Where is this in the route and can it be fitted in?

Not really wanting to figure the routes and etc, so also considering getting off the ship as seeing if a taxi is willing to take us around these sites. Is it popular for a taxi to be outside these ports looking for business?

Also, if anyone has gone on a private tour with a particular company in Oslo that was good, please let me know! Not seeing much about that on the internet!

Thank you in advance for any advice!

We are on Emerald Cruise and dock at 10 am- 7 pm. Was wondering if the following itinerary is feasible in this time frame?

From cruise terminal, take a tram to Vigelandsparken (The Sculpture Park)number 12 Majorstuen. Then from the park you can take the bus, 20 Skøyen to Olav Kyrres plass and change to bus 30 Bygdøy and then you will end up at the Viking Ship Museum and the Norwegian Museum of Cultural History (and Kon-Tiki, Fram Museum etc.). Then you can take a ferry from the Kon Tiki Museum to the harbour in oslo (nearby the cruise terminal) and take a walk around the city centre to see the fortress, the royal palace and the National Gallery.

I also wanted to see Akershus Castle. Where is this in the route and can it be fitted in?

Not really wanting to figure the routes and etc, so also considering getting off the ship as seeing if a taxi is willing to take us around these sites. Is it popular for a taxi to be outside these ports looking for business?

Also, if anyone has gone on a private tour with a particular company in Oslo that was good, please let me know! Not seeing much about that on the internet!

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Since you have plenty of time in port, I think that sounds feasible. Akershus Castle is the "fortress," and the Emerald Princess will be docking right alongside it, so you can visit the grounds right before you return to the ship. If you want to tour the inside, you will need to arrive before they close (16:00). There are guided English tours at 14:00.

In that case, I might consider restructuring your itinerary to start with the museums at Bygdøy, taking the ferry to the first stop (Dronningen) and visiting the Folk Museum and Viking ships, then walking or catching the bus 30 down to Bygdøynes to visit the Kon-Tiki and Fram, and then catching the ferry from there back to downtown. Then you could probably get to Akershus fortress while the castle is still open (the grounds stay open until night). After that, you can catch the Tram 12 up to Vigelands Park (direction: Majorstuen). To get back downtown, you can either return on the Tram 12 or catch the 20 bus towards Galgeberg two stops to Majorstuen (or turn left outside the park gates and walk about 10 minutes) and catch the T-bane/metro. All of the eastbound trains run to downtown, and the trip to National Theater takes around 5 minutes. You can get off there and wander around, or ride down to Stortinget and walk back up the central street Karl Johans gate to the National Theater and then turn left to head back towards the ship.

I don't have any experience with any of the sightseeing tours, but you can find some information on the tourist info website:

http://www.visitoslo.com/en/activities-and-attractions/sightseeing/

-Meg

We will be in Oslo on Monday, June 4th and wanted to know if any museums or attractions are closed (exp: Viking Museum, folk museum,etc.).

Thanks

The National Gallery is closed on Mondays.

The Folk Museum, Viking Ships, Fram, and Kon-Tiki are all open. Vigelands Park is always open (but the nearby Vigeland Museum is closed). The Nobel Peace Center is open.

It's probably easiest just to look up the places you want to visit on the VisitOslo website to see if they're open. Aside from the National Gallery, most of the top attractions are.

Archived