Oslo on our own

One museum that I seldom see mentioned, but that people might also want to see is the Norwegian Maritime Museum. It is right across the road from the KonTiki museum.

we walked center Oslo in the morning, then took a ship's tour to see the Viking Museum, KonTiki & Fram museums. Despite reading here how doable it was to take ferry to Bygdoy Peninsula, we decided to do the ship's tour - don't do it on your own.

anyway, dh had no desire to see KonTiki & I did, so he skipped out on KonTiki and went to the Maritime Museum. It was one of the few times I had to actually drag him out of a museum. I was done and through with KonTiki (I knew the backstory, really just wanted to "see" the raft) and we had begun exploring the Fram museum (as a group) before he came out of Maritime. He was in there well over an hour and would have stayed longer.

The National Gallery is closed on Mondays.

The Folk Museum, Viking Ships, Fram, and Kon-Tiki are all open. Vigelands Park is always open (but the nearby Vigeland Museum is closed). The Nobel Peace Center is open.

It's probably easiest just to look up the places you want to visit on the VisitOslo website to see if they're open. Aside from the National Gallery, most of the top attractions are.

Thank you Kaisatsu---Just the information we needed. Disappointed that the National Gallery is closed but glad the others are open.:)

Despite reading here how doable it was to take ferry to Bygdoy Peninsula ... don't do it on your own.

Out of curiosity, why not? :confused:

I've often heard from visitors that the ferry ride was one of their favorite parts of their day at Bygdøy, and even people who had trouble with the rest of the transit system said the ferry was simple to navigate.

Since you have plenty of time in port, I think that sounds feasible. Akershus Castle is the "fortress," and the Emerald Princess will be docking right alongside it, so you can visit the grounds right before you return to the ship. If you want to tour the inside, you will need to arrive before they close (16:00). There are guided English tours at 14:00.

In that case, I might consider restructuring your itinerary to start with the museums at Bygdøy, taking the ferry to the first stop (Dronningen) and visiting the Folk Museum and Viking ships, then walking or catching the bus 30 down to Bygdøynes to visit the Kon-Tiki and Fram, and then catching the ferry from there back to downtown. Then you could probably get to Akershus fortress while the castle is still open (the grounds stay open until night). After that, you can catch the Tram 12 up to Vigelands Park (direction: Majorstuen). To get back downtown, you can either return on the Tram 12 or catch the 20 bus towards Galgeberg two stops to Majorstuen (or turn left outside the park gates and walk about 10 minutes) and catch the T-bane/metro. All of the eastbound trains run to downtown, and the trip to National Theater takes around 5 minutes. You can get off there and wander around, or ride down to Stortinget and walk back up the central street Karl Johans gate to the National Theater and then turn left to head back towards the ship.

I don't have any experience with any of the sightseeing tours, but you can find some information on the tourist info website:

http://www.visitoslo.com/en/activities-and-attractions/sightseeing/

-Meg

Thanks so much Meg. your way sounds like just the way I'd like it. thanks!

I've often heard from visitors that the ferry ride was one of their favorite parts of their day at Bygdøy, and even people who had trouble with the rest of the transit system said the ferry was simple to navigate.

sorry! big typo -

I meant:

Don't, do it on your own

as in don't go on the ship's tour, do it on your own

That surprises me. I've done it several times (starting back in 1965), and have had no problems at all. I walked from one museum on Bygdoy to another, and at the end had no problem picking up the ferry back to City Hall.

If I were to use the Oslo pass, would that save me from standing in line for tickets into the museums; eg, can I go straight to the entrance and show the pass?

No, that is the annoying thing. I thought we would be able to just walk in to the museums, showing the pass, but they sent us to queue at the ticket office each time. We showed them the passes and they gave us tickets to get in. Seemed daft to me! If it is a matter of keeping count of visitor numbers, you would think there would be a better way.

No word yet on when the strike will end. I would just keep watching the news. Views and News from Norway tends to have good coverage in English. Here is their latest:

http://www.newsinenglish.no/2012/05/29/nearly-50000-pulled-out-on-strike/

Striking employees within the maritime sector already have caused problems for cruise traffic in and out of Oslo. Newspaper Dagens Næringsliv (DN) reported how several cruiseships including Emerald Princess were forced to turn around and drop scheduled stops in Oslo because they couldn’t bring the required pilots on board.*Thousands of passengers due to arrive and depart on the RCCL ship Vision of the Seas*also faced holiday disruption, with the vessel being redirected from Oslo to either Larvik or Gothenburg in Sweden. “For passengers, this means a lot of practical problems,” Margrethe Austad of the Oslo Harbor Authority told DN.

(I was disembarking Vision on Sunday, and it meant being off the ship at 5am to catch a 3.5-hour bus ride From Gothenburg back to Oslo. Not the best way to end a vacation! :( But at least I didn't have a flight to rebook!)

You can book a City Sightseeing Ho Ho online and if you google for voucher codes you may be able to save 25% - we did. It goes to the Kon Tiki museum etc.

I can strongly recommend the City Hall - it's very handy for the port and don't be fooled by the glum red brick - the interior is absolutely stunning.

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from our 11 day Baltic Cruise and wanted to say Thanks to Kaisatsu for all the great advice. We had a fabulous day in Oslo. We purchased an Oslo Card from the tourist desk at the port and went straight to the ferry boat to Bygoy. Started at the Norwegian Folk Museum to see the Stave church - it was amazing. Went to the Viking Ship Museum then back on the ferry over to the Fram and Kon Tiki Museums. We seemed to be just ahead of the crowds everywhere! Back on the ferry to the City Centre. We walked back to the ship for lunch (only a 10 min walk) Then back out for more touring. We saw Akerhus Castle, the Norwegian Resistance Museum then City Hall. All were very interesting - I especially enjoyed City Hall! Then we took a tram up to Vigeland Sculpture Park and enjoyed wandering the park and seeing all the sculptures.

We paid 216 NOK for the Oslo card (approx $37.06 CAD) and we saved 284 NOK (approx $48.73 CAD) It was great knowing where to go to catch the ferry and which tram to take up the park. Thanks again for a wonderful day in Oslo.

Just back from our 11 day Baltic Cruise and wanted to say Thanks to Kaisatsu for all the great advice. We had a fabulous day in Oslo. We purchased an Oslo Card from the tourist desk at the port and went straight to the ferry boat to Bygoy. Started at the Norwegian Folk Museum to see the Stave church - it was amazing. Went to the Viking Ship Museum then back on the ferry over to the Fram and Kon Tiki Museums. We seemed to be just ahead of the crowds everywhere! Back on the ferry to the City Centre. We walked back to the ship for lunch (only a 10 min walk) Then back out for more touring. We saw Akerhus Castle, the Norwegian Resistance Museum then City Hall. All were very interesting - I especially enjoyed City Hall! Then we took a tram up to Vigeland Sculpture Park and enjoyed wandering the park and seeing all the sculptures.

We paid 216 NOK for the Oslo card (approx $37.06 CAD) and we saved 284 NOK (approx $48.73 CAD) It was great knowing where to go to catch the ferry and which tram to take up the park. Thanks again for a wonderful day in Oslo.

Thanks for that feedback. You seem to have been able to do everything I want to do. How long were you in port? We are there from 10am-7pm. Think we could do all you did in that time frame?

Glad you had a good visit! :)

-Meg

We saw Akerhus Castle, the Norwegian Resistance Museum then City Hall. All were very interesting - I especially enjoyed City Hall! Then we took a tram up to Vigeland Sculpture Park and enjoyed wandering the park and seeing all the sculptures.

Glad to hear that things worked well and that you liked the City Hall, saw Norwegian Resistance Museum, did Vigeland Sculpture Park, etc. Earlier I posted some Oslo pictures, but did not include any for their City Hall with its art, interesting spaces, etc. Here are some of my pictures and details on this highly-visual building that welcomes you to Oslo and Norway.

More Oslo options to follow.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 89,175 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 73,421 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here is Oslo’s City Hall exterior and one of its large interior spaces where the Nobel Peace Prize is awarded annually on December 10 each year. This structure houses the city council and city administration, plus art studios and galleries. The construction started in 1931 with the main structure completed in 1936. The German invasion of Norway in 1940 caused construction to stop, and it was not resumed until 1947. This City Hall was official opened in 1950. Its characteristic architecture, artworks and the Nobel Peace Prize ceremony makes it one of Oslo's most famous buildings. The roof of the eastern tower has a 49-bell carillon which plays every hour. This City Hall is situated in central downtown Oslo dramatically overlooking the scenic harbor area.:

1A-Oslo-CityHallExt.jpg

1A-Oslo-CityHallInterior.jpg

For Oslo’s City Hall, here is another exterior view of this building and and its position as a part of the overall harbor area. Here are also some more examples of its interior spaces, its art/design work, etc. Finally, below, is how the North side with the Astronomical Clock and the main entrance of the City Hall appears.:

OsloHarborCityHallWideWaterView.jpg

OsloCityHallSmallerRoomArtTables.jpg

OsloCityHallInteriorRmFireplaceTap.jpg

OsloBackDoorCityHallArt.jpg

Here is a little more to show the wide range of art and design work inside and outside of their City Hall in Oslo.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 73,421 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

From Oslo’s City Hall, here are some more examples of its art/design work, etc. This includes a close-up look at the details of the Astronomical Clockon on the North side of the building., inside the City Council chamber, another exterior art/design feature on the building’s brick walls, another harbor view of the south side of City Hall facing the harbor, more interior art, etc. This building is more interesting on the interior and as you get closer that it might appear on the outside. It is considered as a monument to the major artistic movements from the middle of the last century in Norway.:

OsloCityHallClockTightUnique.jpg

OsloCityHallCouncilChambers.jpg

OsloCityHallExteriorArtDesign.jpg

OsloCityHallHarborOverallView-1.jpg

OsloCityHallWallArtDesign.jpg

OsloCityHallWallArt2Sharper.jpg

• 5 months later...

Would anyone know if I want to take tram #12 Majorstuen from the city hall to Vigelands Park, can I buy the tickets at the tourist information office or is there a machine that I can buy the tickets by using a pin credit card? We only need this one way tickets as we will be in Oslo for a very short period of time. Trying to get to Vigelands Park first and walk back to the ship.

Thanks in advance.

Carrie

Can any body tell me if Australian citizens are eligable for oslo pass for seniors at a discount rate,we will there on for a day in september.:rolleyes:

As long as you're over 67, you can buy the discounted pass regardless of citizenship.

"Seniors over 67 years of age can purchase the Oslo Pass at the child/senior rate showing a valid passport /ID card at the counter in one of our Tourist Information offices in Oslo."

http://www.visitoslo.com/en/bookonline/oslopass/

Would anyone know if I want to take tram #12 Majorstuen from the city hall to Vigelands Park, can I buy the tickets at the tourist information office or is there a machine that I can buy the tickets by using a pin credit card? We only need this one way tickets as we will be in Oslo for a very short period of time. Trying to get to Vigelands Park first and walk back to the ship.

Thanks in advance.

Carrie

It's been a while since I was over there, but I don't think there is a ticket machine at the stop by the city hall. There might be one at the Aker Brygge stop just a bit further on, west of the city hall by the Nobel Peace center. You can also buy tickets from convenience stores, and there is a 7-11 behind the city hall.

As long as you're over 67, you can buy the discounted pass regardless of citizenship.

"Seniors over 67 years of age can purchase the Oslo Pass at the child/senior rate showing a valid passport /ID card at the counter in one of our Tourist Information offices in Oslo."

http://www.visitoslo.com/en/bookonline/oslopass/

It's been a while since I was over there, but I don't think there is a ticket machine at the stop by the city hall. There might be one at the Aker Brygge stop just a bit further on, west of the city hall by the Nobel Peace center. You can also buy tickets from convenience stores, and there is a 7-11 behind the city hall.

Thanks Kaisatsu. So 7-11 takes pin credit card as well?

• 1 month later...

Thank you.

Would you know if we can walk from the cruise port to Vigelands Park? I am thinking if we have to go buy ticket & wait for the tram. Can we just walk there and back. How long does it take to get there. We can walk fast. Thinking to walk straight there then we walk back but stop in places.

Thanks.

Thank you. Would you know if we can walk from the cruise port to Vigelands Park? I am thinking if we have to go buy ticket & wait for the tram. Can we just walk there and back. How long does it take to get there. We can walk fast. Thinking to walk straight there then we walk back but stop in places. Thanks.

It is about two miles in distance from one of the main docking areas next to the Fortress in going to Vigeland Park. It could some added distance if your ship is not docked at this location. Could you walk it? Maybe, but I would not consider it to be the best, most efficient use of your time.

This park is very large and involves a good bit of walking, also, within its significant size and to see the various art pieces there. Nothing bad to walk through as you are going there, but it is not outstanding, nor super interesting. It is not an exact straight shot there. It takes some zigging and zagging. As I recall, kind of OK or average residential/apartment building areas that you would pass through going and coming back.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 114,948 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Archived