Oslo on our own

I think Terry gave good advice. I took the tram as well, easy block or so from the port, was able to save the energy for walking through the park, then walked all the way back to the ship. Look at the Oslo map and you'll be able to target a walk with some good sightseeing along the way. btw, was able to make it back to the ship in time for an early 2:00 pm departure.

Would you know if we can walk from the cruise port to Vigelands Park? I am thinking if we have to go buy ticket & wait for the tram. Can we just walk there and back. How long does it take to get there. We can walk fast. Thinking to walk straight there then we walk back but stop in places.

Thanks.

I live near Vigelands Park, and it generally takes me a little over half an hour to walk to/from the area near the city hall. I almost always take public transportation unless it's a nice day and I'm really just out for a walk.

The tram runs every 10-15 minutes, so it's probably going to be faster than walking. An alternative to the tram is to take the T-bane (subway) from Nationaltheatret to Majorstuen. You can buy the ticket from a machine at the station, and the trains run every 1-3 minutes. It's about 5 minutes walk to Nationaltheatret, 3 minutes on the train, and then around 8 minutes walk to the park.

However, there really isn't a lot to see between Vigelands and the cruise pier. It's mostly residential and shopping areas. If you want a nice walk, I would ride back into town and then stroll down Karl Johan's gate.

Thanks Kaisatsu. One more question please, I heard that the tram/metro ticket can be used within one hour and this including one transfer? For example: if we buy the one way from the City Hall and travel to the Vigelands Park and if we can finish it off lets say 45 minutes, can we use this transfer on tram #19 to go back to the Royal Palace/National Threatre?

Thank you so much. Just thought another option as we only in Oslo for a very short period of time. From 8am to 1pm. Everything must cut short and use good of it.

The tickets are good for unlimited transfers within an hour of activation. So you can switch from subway to tram to bus to ferry etc within 60 minutes.

Yes, if you finish fast enough, you can use it on the trip back. However, assuming you activate it and spend 10 minutes getting there, you really have less than 40 minutes to look around, because it's supposed to be valid the entire trip back. Although you activate the ticket when you board, the real ticket control is done by random inspection. So if a ticket checker comes on board right before you get off, and you're past the 60-minute mark, you can technically be fined. Of course, the ticket checks are rather infrequent (but everyone believes that they happen the one time you don't have a valid ticket ;) ), and you can always play the confused tourist card to get out of paying the fine.

The current version of the transit website has a pretty good English explanation of the ticket system. The zone thing is a little complicated, but you really only need to consider Zone 1. (It's pretty much all of Oslo. The entire subway is within Zone 1.)

http://ruter.no/en/tickets/Oslo_and_Akershus/

http://ruter.no/en/tickets/Oslo_and_Akershus/Single-ticket/?id=3269

PS - The tickets are 20 NOK cheaper if you buy them in advance instead of on the tram/bus/ferry. The closest shop to the cruise pier is the the 7-11 behind the city hall.

This is where most of the cruise ships dock and shows the stops and sales points in the area:

http://reiseplanlegger.ruter.no/no/Kart/For/(30110077)Akershusstranda%2010#st:1,zo:0,sp:1

The Rådhusplassen tram stop is directly north, and the 7-11 is north of that (on the little circular square behind the city hall). The Nationaltheatret subway station is farther north at the corner of the palace park (marked with the T in a circle).

Thank you Kaisatsu. The transit system sounds like here Toronto, one ticket can be used within 60 minutes from start to finish within the same zone. I found the metro is faster from Majorstuen and only 1 stop to the NationalThreatret (Karl Johans Gate).

Can you please tell me where is my ship will dock in Oslo? It is MSC Poesia Friday, Aug. 9. Trying to figure out the walking distance from the cruise terminal to the 7-11 store.

Thanks.

Can you please tell me where is my ship will dock in Oslo? It is MSC Poesia Friday, Aug. 9. Trying to figure out the walking distance from the cruise terminal to the 7-11 store. Thanks.

Checked today at this below website and they still show the 2012 cruise ship docking positions, but not those, yet, for cruise liners in 2013. I would check back in a couple of months at this website:

http://www.oslohavn.no

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 115,073 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

As Terry said, the 2013 harbor list doesn't seem to be published yet. There are a few places it gets listed, but both still show the 2012 calls. The 2013 should be up around late February or March.

However, a lot of cruiselines tend to dock at the same place each year. Last year MSC was using both Akershuskaia and Filipstad. Cross your fingers that you're at Akershuskaia!

From Akershuskaia, which is the main cruise pier, it's about 700 meters to the 7-11 (roughly 7 or 8 minutes). It's about 5-6 minutes walk from the ship to the tram stop, and the 7-11 is just two blocks further on.

Filipstad is definitely not as convenient. The only transit option in the area is a bus stop near the ship that has surprisingly infrequent service, and it's a 10-15 walk from the pier into town.

• 2 months later...
Hello,

Can anyone please tell me where is MSC Poesia will be docking on Aug.9, 2013? There will be 3 ships in. Trying to see how far is the walk from the pier to the 7-11 stores to buy the tram tickets. Trying to read but not understand.

Thanks.

http://oslohavn.no/filestore/PDF/20130131_Forventet_Cruiseanlop.pdf

It seems that your pier has not been decided yet. The Box "KAIPLASS" for 9 August is empty. Try to check back later!

Screwcork

• 2 weeks later...

Just my opinion but I get tired just reading your proposed day is Oslo. There are two types of visitors to a city - those who try to see a bit of everything and those who pick one or two places that they are interested in and see them more thoroughly. I am in the second group. In fact, when I travel by land, I do not even visit a place unless I can spend 2 or 3 days there.

Nothing wrong w being in the first group except that you do not see much of anything. For example, we spent maybe an hour just in the Oslo City Hall looking at the paintings on the wall on our last visit to Oslo.

In any case, enjoy yourself. Oslo is a neat city.

DON

Hello all

We have arranged a long layover in Oslo (June 7th) on our way to Copenhagen - for the sole purpose of visiting your city (which is not on our cruise itinerary). We arrive at 8:30 am and need to catch a 5:30 pm flight. Will the shuttle bus work for us or should we take a cab. How much do you think is doable? We are great at DIY and fast movers!! We fall into the group that likes to see as much as we can (but will go hang out with the locals for a beer or two!! ).

What time do we need to head back to the airport? Is Oslo - Copenhagen considered an "International" flight?

Very excited!!

• 2 weeks later...

We are arriving on the Emerald Princess on July 7 and the oslohavn.no web page has us docking at FILIPSTAD CONTAINERKRAN VEST.

Can someone tell me where that is? In doing all my research I assumed we would be near Akerhus Castle.

Thanks

We are arriving on the Emerald Princess on July 7 and the oslohavn.no web page has us docking at FILIPSTAD CONTAINERKRAN VEST.

Can someone tell me where that is? In doing all my research I assumed we would be near Akerhus Castle.

Thanks

Here is a map --click on Flipstad and it shows the location.

http://www.oslohavn.no/en/passengers/shipping_lines_oslo/quays/

Thanks

Check out the map link in my signature.

From my experience, Filipstad is much less convenient than the piers near Akershus. It's easy to walk into town from the port area, and there is a wide sidewalk along the motorway, but it's about 10 minutes on foot to get to Aker Brygge, and 20 to get to the central part of the city.

You'll be there on a weekday, so if you arrive between 7:00-8:30 am, you may be able to take the bus 33 that stops near the roundabout in front of the docking area. (You can find the timetable here: http://ruter.no/Documents/Rutetabeller/Oslo/Buss_30-37_130407.pdf) It runs every 15 minutes, but only between 7:08 and 8:38. After that it stops until 14:38. It used to run more often (I used to take it down to Filipstad for embarkation), but they've reduced the route significantly (I think it's timed now only to coincide with the Kiel ferry).

Alaskanb and kaisatsu - Thank you for the maps. I didn't even know where Filipstad was in relation to the city center.

kaisatsu - Actually, we are there on a Sunday arriving at 10:00. If I'm reading the bus schedule correctly, there is no service on bus 33 on Sunday. So is there no public transport option to get into the city center? I don't know if Princess will have a shuttle bus from this dock as the Emerald usually docks at Akershus. This particular day, Celebrity Infinity is using the Akershus dock location. (I hadn't seen your map link before - great information!)

This has really thrown off my plans. If at Akershus pier, I was going to exit the ship, purchase the Oslo Pass at the cruise terminal (probably won't have one at Filipstad), walk to the Bygdoy ferry terminal and begin our day. I know traveling is about being flexible. I was just hoping to have a plan - there is so much to see!

Any ideas are greatly appreciated! Thanks for your help!

Alaskanb and kaisatsu - Thank you for the maps. I didn't even know where Filipstad was in relation to the city center.

kaisatsu - Actually, we are there on a Sunday arriving at 10:00. If I'm reading the bus schedule correctly, there is no service on bus 33 on Sunday. So is there no public transport option to get into the city center? I don't know if Princess will have a shuttle bus from this dock as the Emerald usually docks at Akershus. This particular day, Celebrity Infinity is using the Akershus dock location. (I hadn't seen your map link before - great information!)

This has really thrown off my plans. If at Akershus pier, I was going to exit the ship, purchase the Oslo Pass at the cruise terminal (probably won't have one at Filipstad), walk to the Bygdoy ferry terminal and begin our day. I know traveling is about being flexible. I was just hoping to have a plan - there is so much to see!

Any ideas are greatly appreciated! Thanks for your help!

There is a tourist information office in the area behind the city hall. You can then either take the bus to Bygdoy or walk back and take the ferry. I have used the Oslo transportation planning site and it's been easy to use in English.

D'oh! Sorry about that. I must have been looking at August 7.

Unfortunately, that's correct that there is no public transport to the pier on Sundays. :( (My last embarkation was a Sunday and I went to the bus stop to catch the bus to the port, and wondered why it wasn't showing up on the departure list. Luckily I had internet on my phone and rechecked the schedule. Very disappointing, but there was a Norwegian couple waiting for the bus who had made the same mistake, so at least I could let them know.

If you're up for it, the best option would probably be just to do the 20-minute walk back to the city hall and visit the tourist office there. Otherwise, you could take a taxi, which would only take about 5 minutes but would probably cost around 100 NOK.

What are you planning to see in the city? I might be able to come up with a better suggestion.

What are you planning to see in the city? I might be able to come up with a better suggestion.

Thank you for asking. I had a very ambitious day planned. I know we may not see everything but I like to have a list of everything I would want to see if I could and how to get there. It's not a schedule - just a list. And if we want to spend more time at a sight, we will. That's what's so nice about seeing the city on your own!

Most of the sights are on your Top Ten list posted earlier.

Viking Ship Museum - a must see

Folk Museum - a short visit. I know we could spend hours there but I thought we could stop in just to see it, especially the stave church, since we would be so close to it

Vigelands Park - a must see

Walk down Karl Johans Gate - to people watch and see some of the interesting buildings and statues there

Walk up the roof of the Opera House - the pictures look amazing but we may not be able to fit this in

National Gallery - a quick visit

A walk around Akershus - not going inside, just seeing the grounds

Inside of City Hall - a quick visit.

We are there on a Sunday from 10:00 to 19:00 docking at Filipstad. So I know some public transportation may be affected. We like to walk. Do you know where the closest place to Filipstad is to buy the Oslo Pass? Is it the Tourist Information near City Hall?

I greatly appreciate any suggestions you have for me!

Thank you for asking. I had a very ambitious day planned. I know we may not see everything but I like to have a list of everything I would want to see if I could and how to get there. It's not a schedule - just a list. And if we want to spend more time at a sight, we will. That's what's so nice about seeing the city on your own!

Most of the sights are on your Top Ten list posted earlier.

Viking Ship Museum - a must see

Folk Museum - a short visit. I know we could spend hours there but I thought we could stop in just to see it, especially the stave church, since we would be so close to it

Vigelands Park - a must see

Walk down Karl Johans Gate - to people watch and see some of the interesting buildings and statues there

Walk up the roof of the Opera House - the pictures look amazing but we may not be able to fit this in

National Gallery - a quick visit

A walk around Akershus - not going inside, just seeing the grounds

Inside of City Hall - a quick visit.

We are there on a Sunday from 10:00 to 19:00 docking at Filipstad. So I know some public transportation may be affected. We like to walk. Do you know where the closest place to Filipstad is to buy the Oslo Pass? Is it the Tourist Information near City Hall?

I greatly appreciate any suggestions you have for me!

You may be able to buy the Oslo Pass from one of the hotels that's closer to Filipstad:

http://www.visitoslo.com/en/activities-and-attractions/oslo-pass/sales-points-list/?view=map

I would suggest contacting them ahead of time to find out if they have it. The Thon Hotel Vika Atrium is only 10 minutes' walk from the pier, and after buying the pass, there are a number of buses from the Vika Atrium stop that you could take downtown to Nationaltheatret and either visit the National Gallery, catch a bus to the Folk Museum and Viking Ships, or walk down to the city hall. A few blocks to the north is a Tram 12 stop, where you could catch a tram to Vigelands Park.

If the hotel doesn't have the Oslo Pass, you might want to just grab a taxi to the city hall (you could share with some other passengers to cut the cost).

Heading back to the pier at the end of the day (once you have the pass), you could take a bus back to Vika Atrium (32, 33, 54, 151, etc) or to Bryggetorget (21). Since the museums all close around 17:00 or 18:00, I would save Karl Johans gate and the Opera House to later in the day. From the area near the central station and the opera house, you should be able to catch a direct bus back (though give yourself a bit of time on a Sunday, when the departures aren't as often).

The Ruter.no transit site has a lot of useful tools, and they have a good tourist map with some of the major bus lines marked along with the trams and subway:

http://ruter.no/Documents/Rutetabeller/visitorsmap_2012.pdf

You may be able to buy the Oslo Pass from one of the hotels that's closer to Filipstad:

http://www.visitoslo.com/en/activities-and-attractions/oslo-pass/sales-points-list/?view=map

I would suggest contacting them ahead of time to find out if they have it. The Thon Hotel Vika Atrium is only 10 minutes' walk from the pier, and after buying the pass, there are a number of buses from the Vika Atrium stop that you could take downtown to Nationaltheatret and either visit the National Gallery, catch a bus to the Folk Museum and Viking Ships, or walk down to the city hall. A few blocks to the north is a Tram 12 stop, where you could catch a tram to Vigelands Park.

If the hotel doesn't have the Oslo Pass, you might want to just grab a taxi to the city hall (you could share with some other passengers to cut the cost).

Heading back to the pier at the end of the day (once you have the pass), you could take a bus back to Vika Atrium (32, 33, 54, 151, etc) or to Bryggetorget (21). Since the museums all close around 17:00 or 18:00, I would save Karl Johans gate and the Opera House to later in the day. From the area near the central station and the opera house, you should be able to catch a direct bus back (though give yourself a bit of time on a Sunday, when the departures aren't as often).

The Ruter.no transit site has a lot of useful tools, and they have a good tourist map with some of the major bus lines marked along with the trams and subway:

http://ruter.no/Documents/Rutetabeller/visitorsmap_2012.pdf

Thank you so very much for your helpful suggestions, kaisatsu!

We are looking forward to our visit to your beautiful city.

Archived