Do not forget list

babywewe

WhAt on the top of your packing list for a med cruise? It's my first med. cruise and I'm not sure what to pack.

You have received excellent suggestions from both Cynthia and crafter188. I assume you are doing Holland America Noordam Rome to Mediterranean - 7/17/12 for your honeymoon, right? Congratulations!! This sounds like your first cruise to Europe. Am I correct that you will be visiting Dubrovnik, Corfu, Katakolon (Olympia), Santorini, Ephesus/Kusadasi, Athens and Messina? Will you spend added time in Rome either before and/or after your cruise?

Lots of great, historic, scenic and interesting places. BUT, you need to do some advance planning and thinking about what you want to do, see and experience in each of these different places. This is not like parts of the Carib where you get off of the ship, walk by the tee-shirt shops, see an old fort and hang out at a beach. We have been to Rome several times, plus last year in Dubrovnik, plus earlier for Athens and Ephesus. Below are some added notes, visuals and other ideas for a few of these places.

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

You can check out my earlier post on “Athens Tips, Suggestions, Examples to Enjoy!” for many details, ideas and interesting visuals on this great city. Lots of ideas here from me and others experienced with Athens.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

For those who have not yet visited Greece, the good news is that the wonderful Plaka is right handy and next door to the famed Acropolis area. That makes things so much easier. On going up the hill, be careful as the stone steps can be slick in areas. And you will be looking up and forgetting to watch where and how you are stepping. It's well worth the effort getting there to the top. It is amazing history and architecture!! Also, we had a private guide to help us on this spectacular site. It's not cheap, but it was well worth it to know more on what you are seeing and why it is so important.

Keep the good questions rolling along!! Lots of great ideas and people are here on these boards and they are happy to help. Don't be shy!! The only "dumb" question is the one you don't ask. Keep researching and planning. It will be very helpful for when you do your actual trip and that experience.

Tell us more on your travel "style", budget flexibility, personal interests, past Europe travel experience, etc. How much are you interested in history? Countryside vs. cities? Museums, nature, culture, food, wine, art, music, shopping, architecture, etc.? How much of it in a leisurely style versus fast-paced? Then, with more detailed information from you, we can make better, more specific suggestions on what best fits your needs and interests.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 78,246 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Looking downhill towards the library and other ruins from when Ephesus, along the Turkish Coast, was Rome's capital of Asia Minor. The history here is real and totally amazing!:

EphRuinsLongShot.jpg

At Ephesus along the Turkish Coast, here is the famed outdoor theater that hosted Saint Paul preaching, plus rock stars, etc. At this site in the 1st century AD, the Apostle Paul spent over three years in Ephesus preaching the Gospel. This included a sermon condemning pagan worship in this theater:

Amphitheatre.jpg

We started in Dubrovnik with a local cab driver who gave us a “panoramic tour”, including crossing their unique bridge near the main cruise ship docking area. He called this bridge their “Golden Gate” like in San Francisco. It is nine years old. Then we drove up and up through narrow twisting roads to the high point overlooking Dubrovnik and near the cable car high station. From this point, we could also see part of Bosnia and and Montenegro. The “super star” view was down below with this angle of the harbor and walled city. Beautiful!!!:

2DubrOverallHighViewOne.jpg

This is a view of the historic Dubrovnik wall at an upward and outward point built on top of the rocks and where it overlooks the Adriatic Sea. Walking this wall is a wonderful and unique way to sample and see up close and personal what makes this city so special.:

DubrovWallWaterViews.jpg

On Acropolis hill with our very knowledgeable private guide we lined up at the site, she helped us appreciate all of the history and architectural details there at this famed site going back 700 years before Christ.:

OnAcrop.jpg

Outdoor dining in the Plaka in the heart of Athens’ historic area. Lots of music and fun, shopping, music, plus good food. Don't miss this part of Athens!!:

PlakaDining.jpg

Terry in Ohio, great photos!

We are Going on our honeymoon but will have been married 6 months by then! Our pace is usually fast, but we are going to TRY and slow it down a bit this year. This is our first med cruise and we LOVE history, art, food, and we will drink as much wine as we can carry! We would like to stay in the cities.

Athens and Ephesus are my main concerns right now. I'm not sure where to start.

I was going to do a private guide for Athens but its so much money for someone to drive you around. Iv heard most things are close together once you get into the city. Getting into the city worries me.

Ephesus - totally lost

Terry in Ohio, great photos! We are Going on our honeymoon but will have been married 6 months by then! Our pace is usually fast, but we are going to TRY and slow it down a bit this year. This is our first med cruise and we LOVE history, art, food, and we will drink as much wine as we can carry! We would like to stay in the cities. Athens and Ephesus are my main concerns right now. I'm not sure where to start. I was going to do a private guide for Athens but its so much money for someone to drive you around. Iv heard most things are close together once you get into the city. Getting into the city worries me. Ephesus - totally lost

Appreciate your nice and kind comments on my pictures. Given your interests, you'll find lots to love on your honeymoon cruise in these many and great ports. Tours through your cruise ship are not always ideal, cheap and/or perfect, but they can solve your "logistical" challenges in an easy, flexible manner.

That's the biggest thing to decide for Ephesus. It is not right there and handy where you dock. A cruise tour can get you there and back, plus maybe another stop or two, depending on what they offer and your interests. There are private tour potentials, but just for the two of you, maybe a ship offering will serve your needs there.

Athens is also fairly easy given how the Plaka is so close the Acropolis. The new museum for the Acropolis is right there and handy, too. Agree that a private guide for Athens might not be that needed. Having a private guide at the Acropolis could work well, especially if you like to ask questions. It's just getting from the ship docking place to the main part of town. There are local rail, cab and ship bus options to make it easy.

Below are a few more of my visuals samples for what is there to enjoy at these various, great sites.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 78,246 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

At Ephesus, architectural details on its famed library building:

LibraryDetails.jpg

Another area for seeing added ruins at Ephesus:

RuinsAdded.jpg

Outdoor theatre adjoining the Parthenon in Athens:

OutdoorTheatre.jpg

Some of the interesting architectural details on the upper levels of the Parthenon:

Acrop.jpg

This is the Stradun or main shopping street of Dubrovnik as it stretches to the clock tower. The buildings along this way all have shutter painted in the same color. Don’t missing walking the wall in this great town.:

3DubrMainStreet2Tower.jpg

Here is the view of the Cable Car going down from the high point over Dubrovnik with interesting areas and islands west of the city shown. This cable car has been re-built since the early 1990’s war years. It’s a dramatic coastline with great views here!:

4DubrCableCarWaterIslands.jpg

Terry in Ohio, great photos!

We are Going on our honeymoon but will have been married 6 months by then! Our pace is usually fast, but we are going to TRY and slow it down a bit this year. This is our first med cruise and we LOVE history, art, food, and we will drink as much wine as we can carry! We would like to stay in the cities.

Athens and Ephesus are my main concerns right now. I'm not sure where to start.

I was going to do a private guide for Athens but its so much money for someone to drive you around. Iv heard most things are close together once you get into the city. Getting into the city worries me.

Ephesus - totally lost

First of all, congratulations !!! Second - if you love history, art, food and wine then you are GONNA go bonkers in Europe....... :D

Athens - it really is very easy to take the metro into town and tour on your own. There have been numerous threads here that tell you EXACTLY how to do it...... and as we found out our first trip there - there will be lots of others on your cruise doing it too >>> so just join up with a group of them to walk to the metro. Once you have done it INTO town, you will feel much more comfortable coming back the other way ;) Also - check your roll call and see if there are others you can "tag along" with......

Ephesus - by saving your $$ in Athens you can perhaps do a private tour in Ephesus..... very much recommended. We used Ekol for both our visits to this area. Yes, we loved our second cruise to Europe so much we did it again..... so three all together. And we will go back again soon......

Hope this helps.... enjoy !

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

My boyfriend and I will be in Santorini on June 1 with Crown Princess from 7AM to 6PM. Im looking for recommendations on what to see and how to get there. From what I've read, we will arrive in Fira and can go different places from there. I've heard about the black sand beaches, which we may be interested in seeting. I've also heard to go to Oia. We are looking at trying to get their ourselves, via bus, taxi, whatever is easiest/least expensive.

Any suggestions at all would be helpful! This is our first time cruising the Mediterranean and we are SO excited!

Thanks,

Christina

Hello,

My boyfriend and I will be in Santorini on June 1 with Crown Princess from 7AM to 6PM. Im looking for recommendations on what to see and how to get there. From what I've read, we will arrive in Fira and can go different places from there. I've heard about the black sand beaches, which we may be interested in seeting. I've also heard to go to Oia. We are looking at trying to get their ourselves, via bus, taxi, whatever is easiest/least expensive.

Any suggestions at all would be helpful! This is our first time cruising the Mediterranean and we are SO excited!

Thanks,

Christina

Christina, turn right coming from the cable car, and walk through the pedestrian area to the cathedral. The small bus station is across the road.

The bus to Kamari, on the opposite coast, used to be once an hour. It will take around 30 mins, as it's only a small island.

Taxis are next to the bus station in Fira.

The beaches are volcanic sand, and have bamboo mats laid on them, as the grit gets into your shoes.

You hire a beach recliner- a few €€€

The town is a typical Greek Med resort, laid out for the thousands of N. Europeans who come for a week or two in summer....tavernas by the sea, gift shops, small supermarkets for self caterers etc.

There's a steep climb up to the old town, at the rear of the beach.

Buses back go from quite close to the beach- make sure you notice when you get off!:rolleyes:

A taxi will take you, but I'm not sure about picking up....you'll have to organise with the driver.

The fare on the bus will again only be a few €€€

The other way is to hire a car, which you'll find on the main road through Fira....it's a little town, and someone will show you where- very few automatics, though, and they may well be already booked by fellow cruisers, especially if there's a lot of ships in.

Then there's the quad bikes- not for me, but lots of people hire them.

Jo.

Terry , what kind of camera do you use? Again , great photos. Thanks for taking the time to post them. I'm going to make a DIY plan of Athens.

Appreciate your follow-up on my camera.

On the camera, I now have a Nikon D3100 that does a great, 14mp file size to allow lots of quality and editing Earlier pictures were taken with a Nikon D50 or single lens reflex (SLR) camera. Have upgraded to a Nikon D3100 that shoots at a higher pixel level and has a few other improvements. That D3100 camera with the basic Nikon 18-55mm zoom lens would run around $550 in the USA today. Just now, Nikon is coming out with a D3200 with some adding improvements, 24mp for this "consumer-level" of SLR. A good camera, but not at the top-pro, high-cost levels.

Lens are also important. Now have a Nikon 55-300mm lenses and a 10-20mm Sigma wide angle. That camera also has 1080HD video capability that works well with our new grandson and another grandchild due August 1. In most cases, I shoot in the program or auto setting, letting the camera do the work on settings and focus so that I can be more concerned on framing and subject options. Here are a few basic, key photography secrets:

1. Shooting lots of pictures. That's easier with digital to do, learning as you are taking pictures. Show people only the "good ones!" and do not boring them with the average and/or poor ones.

2. Move closer! Zoom in, fill up the frame, try different angles.

3. Involve people. Make it interesting. Get that human element/connection when possible.

4. Hold things steady. Gently squeeze. Use door frames, walls to lessen the blurs in lower-light situations.

5. Editing: Fine-tune your pictures on your lap-top, brighten when needed, level it out, improve the croppings, etc. Narrow down to only your "best of the best" pictures before sharing.

See more details and ideas at: Baltics/Picture Secrets! Key Tips, Ideas, etc.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=977864

Does this help? Any added questions, needs??

Enjoy Athens, etc. THANKS! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 79,988 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Christina, turn right coming from the cable car, and walk through the pedestrian area to the cathedral. The small bus station is across the road.

The bus to Kamari, on the opposite coast, used to be once an hour. It will take around 30 mins, as it's only a small island.

Taxis are next to the bus station in Fira.

The beaches are volcanic sand, and have bamboo mats laid on them, as the grit gets into your shoes.

You hire a beach recliner- a few €€€

The town is a typical Greek Med resort, laid out for the thousands of N. Europeans who come for a week or two in summer....tavernas by the sea, gift shops, small supermarkets for self caterers etc.

There's a steep climb up to the old town, at the rear of the beach.

Buses back go from quite close to the beach- make sure you notice when you get off!:rolleyes:

A taxi will take you, but I'm not sure about picking up....you'll have to organise with the driver.

The fare on the bus will again only be a few €€€

The other way is to hire a car, which you'll find on the main road through Fira....it's a little town, and someone will show you where- very few automatics, though, and they may well be already booked by fellow cruisers, especially if there's a lot of ships in.

Then there's the quad bikes- not for me, but lots of people hire them.

Jo.

Thank you so much! This is extremely helpful!

Appreciate your follow-up on my camera.

On the camera, I now have a Nikon D3100 that does a great, 14mp file size to allow lots of quality and editing Earlier pictures were taken with a Nikon D50 or single lens reflex (SLR) camera. Have upgraded to a Nikon D3100 that shoots at a higher pixel level and has a few other improvements. That D3100 camera with the basic Nikon 18-55mm zoom lens would run around $550 in the USA today. Just now, Nikon is coming out with a D3200 with some adding improvements, 24mp for this "consumer-level" of SLR. A good camera, but not at the top-pro, high-cost levels.

Lens are also important. Now have a Nikon 55-300mm lenses and a 10-20mm Sigma wide angle. That camera also has 1080HD video capability that works well with our new grandson and another grandchild due August 1. In most cases, I shoot in the program or auto setting, letting the camera do the work on settings and focus so that I can be more concerned on framing and subject options. Here are a few basic, key photography secrets:

1. Shooting lots of pictures. That's easier with digital to do, learning as you are taking pictures. Show people only the "good ones!" and do not boring them with the average and/or poor ones.

2. Move closer! Zoom in, fill up the frame, try different angles.

3. Involve people. Make it interesting. Get that human element/connection when possible.

4. Hold things steady. Gently squeeze. Use door frames, walls to lessen the blurs in lower-light situations.

5. Editing: Fine-tune your pictures on your lap-top, brighten when needed, level it out, improve the croppings, etc. Narrow down to only your "best of the best" pictures before sharing.

See more details and ideas at: Baltics/Picture Secrets! Key Tips, Ideas, etc.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=977864

Does this help? Any added questions, needs??

Enjoy Athens, etc. THANKS! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 79,988 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Terry,

I just got a Nikon D5100 for my birthday and will be taking it on our cruise in a couple weeks. Any pointers on how to carry my camera without being concerned about pick pockets? Or do they typically leave expensive cameras alone??:confused:

Thanks for your help!

Christine

Terry, I just got a Nikon D5100 for my birthday and will be taking it on our cruise in a couple weeks. Any pointers on how to carry my camera without being concerned about pick pockets? Or do they typically leave expensive cameras alone??:confused: Thanks for your help! Christine

Great camera, Christine!! The Nikon D5100 will do very nice things for you. I normally have my camera on a fairly heavy strap around my neck sitting on my front chest area. In most cases, we are not in that crowded of situation. If I would be in a busier area that might have some risk, I will then also have one or two hands (or arm) on or around the camera as I am walking, moving through more crowded locations. I'm also a 6' 2" guy, so that helps a little also.

Good luck on your trip!!

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 80,665 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Pickpocketers will go after only an unattended camera, example left on a busy restaurant table etc. If camera is around your shoulder, diagonally they 'll not go after it.

Pickpocketing is not violent, but more of an elusive situation. Wallets with money are what they are after mostly and this happens 90% of the cases with men, who tend to put them in a loose side or back pocket. So, do train your husbands ladies!

Women are much more conscious on this one, since they carry a bag in their everyday life.

Typical precautions against pickpocketing are:

1. Don't carry more than you can afford to lose

2. Mind your belongings

3. Be extremely cautious and attentive of your belongings in public transportation means or stations and in busy places. The less you carry and the more attached they are, the more difficult you do it for the pickpocketer.

-----------------------------------

Bak to the "not forget list"

a) Sunscreen, sunhat, sunglasses. I feel physical pain when i see visitors from Northern Europe getting the lobster - red colour on their shoulders.

b) Proper clothing: Cover your body against the sun. A simple light colored cotton t-shirt with short sleeves is more than enough. Sleeveless t - shirts or tps leave your uper body too exposed to the sun. Best colors are white, beige and light colors in general. Darker colors collect heat. You don't want to test why solar collectors are always painted black.

c) Water. Water is the best way to keep your body hydrated if its a very hot day. Sodas and beer make you less thirsty but on the long run dehydrate you. Sodas cause they contain sugar, beers cause they get you go to the poo-poo room quicker :) Water and slightly salted food / snacks are the best way.

d) Good shoes. I prefer trainers than sandals. Remember: Sandals + white socks are considered a fashion mistake here. Sandals + other color of socks like thin brown socks is a fashion crime. Dress smart but in style too ( nobody really cares, but style counts, doesen't it? )

d) Zoom lens. Keen photographers may need that one on sites where they want to get the details.

e) Polarizing filter for your lenses. Light is extremely intense and reflections very vivid. A polarizing filter will enable taking better photos, enhancing contrasts and avoiding "photo burning". + a polarizing filter gets you the best sky and sea photos. You 'll simply love it in Santorini and on top of the Acropolis if you use filters.

f) Open mind - Graciousness. Don't forget these. You are doing a trip most people will not have the luck to do in all their life span. Pat yourself on the back, enjoy and fill your brain with photos, besides your camera. Enjoy, feel, educate yourself, taste, walk, relax. This is a trip of a lifetime :)

Archived