Opening own wine without forbidden tools

Leo Jay

A corkscrew.

We bring one all the time. Put it in your luggage if you're concerned about security not allowing it on the airplane with you.

Your room steward can get you a corkscrew if needed but sometimes it takes them a while to get one and more likely than not it will be one of those super cheap two piece corkscrews with no leverage. That's why we keep one in our cruise kit along with a quality champagne stopper.

There often is a corkscrew supplied in your stateroom; if none is there you can request one from your room steward. The corkscrews Celebrity supplies are not the easiest to use though; fortunately my stewards in the past have offered to open the wine for me and I have graciously accepted.

Corkscrews are fine in carry on luggage as long as there is to the small knife foil cutter. I travel for business weekly and have never had an issue with my corkscrew in my carry on luggage. I keep it in my bag with y liquids.

a screw top used to be a sign of a cheap wine, but more and more boutique vintners are going to the screw top simply because they can't afford to have a portion of their wine spoiled by bad cork.

I live in AZ wine country and many of our wineries have gone completely to the screw top. Wines here sell at the winery for $20-$30 a bottle.

So if I don't know if I'll have a cork screw handy, I always purchase a boutique screw top wine.

If you open them in your room you can avoid the "screwage fee"

Not to worry. Even some top wines have twist tops (like a soda bottle) these days.

You van also look in your winecshop or any decent homeware shop and ask for a "waiter's friend". Thats a fold up tool, a littleclongercthan a swiss army knife snd it has a corkscrew, (beer) bottle opener and a tiny foil cutter "blade" . The blade is blunt and you really cannot hurt yourself with it ( unless you poke yourself in the eye.. :-)).

Alternatively there is a simmilar thing which, in place of the small blade has an adjustable foil cutter ring, that looks a bit likeva cigar cutter.

I travel with either implement without any problem all over the world ( and on several cruises). I suggest putting it in your checked in luggage.

Prost, Cheers, Bottoms up.

A corkscrew. We bring one all the time. Put it in your luggage if you're concerned about security not allowing it on the airplane with you. Your room steward can get you a corkscrew if needed but sometimes it takes them a while to get one and more likely than not it will be one of those super cheap two piece corkscrews with no leverage. That's why we keep one in our cruise kit along with a quality champagne stopper.

Great idea on bringing our own wine opening tool in the packed/checked baggage. For our upcoming Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Solstice cruise from Sydney to Auckland, I think we might need to do some serious sampling of wine from Australia and New Zealand. Sounds like an important civic and cultural duty for being "down under"!! That's locally required, right?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 78,246 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Great idea on bringing our own wine opening tool in the packed/checked baggage. For our upcoming Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Solstice cruise from Sydney to Auckland, I think we might need to do some serious sampling of wine from Australia and New Zealand. Sounds like an important civic and cultural duty for being "down under"!! That's locally required, right?

Most NZ & Australian wines, including top of the range ones, have stelvin closures now (screw tops) so you should be safer without the corkscrew. That said, our butler brought us one on our last Celebrity cruise in South America (where there were lots of corks!) Enjoy our wine; we have some excellent ones.

Corkscrews are fine in carry on luggage as long as there is to the small knife foil cutter. I travel for business weekly and have never had an issue with my corkscrew in my carry on luggage. I keep it in my bag with y liquids.

That's what I thought. I had always carried my favorite corkscrew with the adjustable foil cutting ring and never got stopped until I went thru Heathrow. You would have thought I had a machete in there the way they stripped searched and tested every compartment in my backpack for explosives. I almost missed my connecting flight.

Most NZ & Australian wines, including top of the range ones, have stelvin closures now (screw tops) so you should be safer without the corkscrew. That said, our butler brought us one on our last Celebrity cruise in South America (where there were lots of corks!) Enjoy our wine; we have some excellent ones.

YES!! Looking forward to those fine wines from NZ and Australia. Do kind of like the "cork" thing, but we'll adjust while there. Without getting too fancy and costly, what's a good and reasonable price range when buying wine in Australia for "good" to "very good" wines. Which one do you like best?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 78,246 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

I've actually used the "tree trick" shown in the video before and it really works! I also travel with the tiny, capped travel corkscrews in my luggage. Heck, I even keep one in the glove compartment of my car (no joke). You just never know when you will have a wine 'emergency'. :D

What tool can you bring to open your own wine (in your stateroom) that won't be confiscated as potentially dangerous? Or will your room steward be able to open your wine for you?

Look in the mini bar in your little fridge. There is usually one in it or hanging on the side via a magnet. I found it by accident one time and noticed it in a few different rooms I've had! Enjoy your cruise and your wine.......... Jill:D

That's what I thought. I had always carried my favorite corkscrew with the adjustable foil cutting ring and never got stopped until I went thru Heathrow. You would have thought I had a machete in there the way they stripped searched and tested every compartment in my backpack for explosives. I almost missed my connecting flight.

Don't even think of putting a corkscrew in your hand luggage in the UK - you won't get through - and rightfully so. I am encouraged to read that they were so careful ---- it means they have got security tight.

Am amazed that you got as far as Heathrow and would question the effectiveness of security at the other airports you used if they let one through. :eek:

Whatever, re corkscrews --- put them in your check in luggage. :)

Without getting too fancy and costly, what's a good and reasonable price range when buying wine in Australia for "good" to "very good" wines. Which one do you like best?

Asking which is a favourite wine is a bit like asking "What's your favourite cabin?". You'll get more answers than you can poke a stick at as they say. I'm not a Sav Blanc fan, and am not a usual NZ wine drinker, but I do like Sevenhill wines, Clare Valley rieslings, Margaret River reds. We would usually pay about $A20 for a pretty reasonable wine to drink now. Sure you will get lots of practice with downunder wines when you are here.

Don't even think of putting a corkscrew in your hand luggage in the UK - you won't get through - and rightfully so. I am encouraged to read that they were so careful ---- it means they have got security tight.

Am amazed that you got as far as Heathrow and would question the effectiveness of security at the other airports you used if they let one through. :eek:

Whatever, re corkscrews --- put them in your check in luggage. :)

I hear you, but my previous travels thru Heathrow I didn't get strip searched and had the same corkscrew. Never had a problem in the U.S., but from now on, it goes in checked baggage.

I've learned over the years and having to go out and buy many to just keep one at all times in my makeup bag. It folds up very nicely and has come in handy sooo many times... even when not on a cruise!:D

Archived