First Cruise with DS - Have ????'s

martikus

DH & I have cruised quite a bit, but traveling with DS will be a whole new world. We're going on the Allure in November and I can't wait! DS will turn 6 on this cruise which will be a lot of fun.

1) How do your kids handle having to wear those wrist bands all week? DS HATES them so I'm thinking I'll have to prepare him.

2) Did your kids have sea sickness? While I know chances are decreased on that huge boat, I'm worried he'll get it and I won't be prepared. Neither DH or I get it. Should I do the sea bands the first day just to be safe?

3) Any highlight excursions for Cozumel or Falmouth? I'll post on the excursion boards, but I'm interested in hearing parents recs for kids around his age? DH & I would normally stay on the boat and enjoy the empty ship, but not sure if DS will be happy with doing that when he can see this neat "land"

4) Kid's club - at that age can they notify you if DS wants to come out? He is pretty social and been in daycare for years, but it will still be a new surrounding.

I guess that is it for now. #1 is my greatest worry - silly I know!

Thank you!

I responded in purple below...... :)

DH & I have cruised quite a bit, but traveling with DS will be a whole new world. We're going on the Allure in November and I can't wait! DS will turn 6 on this cruise which will be a lot of fun.

1) How do your kids handle having to wear those wrist bands all week? DS HATES them so I'm thinking I'll have to prepare him. My son HATES those wristbands too! Its like he gets claustrophobic in them! LOL We ask the the crew member who is putting them on if they can not put it super tight and that helps. If it is still to constricting we will take him to Camp Carnival and ask them to put a new one on and they always make sure the second one is more comfortable.

2) Did your kids have sea sickness? While I know chances are decreased on that huge boat, I'm worried he'll get it and I won't be prepared. Neither DH or I get it. Should I do the sea bands the first day just to be safe? In ten cruises my kids have only had one minor incident of sea sickness and it was on the worst weather day we have ever spent at sea. Even the crew became ill. Overall it is not a problem for our kids. Is he prone to motion sickness in a car, on rides, etc.? If not, I wouldn't be overly concerned about it.

3) Any highlight excursions for Cozumel or Falmouth? I'll post on the excursion boards, but I'm interested in hearing parents recs for kids around his age? DH & I would normally stay on the boat and enjoy the empty ship, but not sure if DS will be happy with doing that when he can see this neat "land" Never been to Falmouth but have been to Cozumel several times. If you are looking for a beach club sort of excursion I would suggest Paradise Beach. We love it there. About a 10 minute cab ride from the port. Lots of amenities!

4) Kid's club - at that age can they notify you if DS wants to come out? He is pretty social and been in daycare for years, but it will still be a new surrounding. We only sail Carnival but when they are young (under the age where you can give them priviliges to sign them selves out) you sign them in and out at drop off. I believe, only the youngest group issues pagers.

I guess that is it for now. #1 is my greatest worry - silly I know!

Thank you!

Yes....they will notify you if he wants/needs to leave AO....until they are 9, an adult must drop off and pick up...they can't leave on their own.

Most kids don't suffer seasickness.....unless he's had motion problems on land (cars, amusement rides), I'd wait and see how he does!

As far as the wrist bands, just tell him he HAS to leave it on......but if it should come off, he can get another. (You don't have to tell him that!)

I have read that some kids prefer to wear the bands on their ankle instead of their wrist. If part of the issue is that it can be scratchy, try trimming off the excess in a rounded curve so that there are no sharp corners.

I second the suggestion of Paradise Beach in Cozumel, but I have also heard good things about Chachanaab (sic) Park if they prefer snorkelling, dolphin and manatee swims.

I usually bring along some children's Gravol just in case, but "knock on wood" I have never needed to use it. Do bring along a selection of kids meds just in case, as pediatric versions are not available on board, or if they are, they will be quite expensive. My first aid kit usually includes Tylenol, Gravol, Benedryl, Powdered Pedialyte, Polysporene cream and a couple bandaids and a thermometre.

Have a wonderful trip; it's great to see the world through the eyes of children.

Yes....they will notify you if he wants/needs to leave AO....until they are 9, an adult must drop off and pick up...they can't leave on their own.

Most kids don't suffer seasickness.....unless he's had motion problems on land (cars, amusement rides), I'd wait and see how he does!

As far as the wrist bands, just tell him he HAS to leave it on......but if it should come off, he can get another. (You don't have to tell him that!)

Not true. They only offer pagers for the 3-5 year old group. You could check in periodically to see if he wants to leave but they won't be able to contact you unless you are in your cabin.

I cruised with my 7 year old again last January...

Wristbands...yes, she hated it, we went through 3 in a week.

Sea sick..never had an issue

Camp Carnival: Both her and us, the parents had problems with it. And we find very few times it is needed, she prefers to hang with us on sea days. On Port days, no time for CC, up and on land, back for clkean-up, dinner and bed, perhaps an early show if she can keep awake.

Cozumel: before the cruise I make worksheets about the locales and we work on them. For Cozumel I made a chart of stuff found on beaches, once in Cozumel we took a taxi to the non-tourist side of the island and wandered the beaches for a long time. Then had our taxi return and went into the non-tourist parts of town (furthest from ship) for wandering and lunch from street venders. WE tend to avoid anyplace other cruisers may be.

My son has been on Carnival twice (one at 2 & again at 3) no problems with the wrist bands - he still wriggles into the last one & pretends that it is his watch - so maybe you could get your son a cheap watch to "train" for the wrist band.

With my son all I would need to say is "No wrist band - no big boat." & he would be ship shape.;)

He loved Camp Carnival - at his age we got a cell phone (not sure when that changes to pager.)

He got seasick once - after the physical part was over & he had a nap, he was fine...

Archived