Why not just end formal nights altogether?

One more post on dress and suit stays at home and I. Am wearing my van halen tshirt and you snobs can s*** it!!!

Enough already.....hire you own yacht and get over you self in the moo moo....

Yea I bought a Lexus and the biggest house on the street to show the other half I. Am just as good..but sometimes i like to drive my corvette or trans am to make them go oh my.

Stop already.

Let me tell you from past experience, it is not a nice feeling to eat in the MDR room on a formal night and be seated near someone wearing shorts with hairy legs and flip flops....

MARAPRINCE

Please show a little respect, you may be talking about someone's DW

One more post on dress and suit stays at home and I. Am wearing my van halen tshirt and you snobs can s*** it!!!

Enough already.....hire you own yacht and get over you self in the moo moo....

Yea I bought a Lexus and the biggest house on the street to show the other half I. Am just as good..but sometimes i like to drive my corvette or trans am to make them go oh my.

Stop already.

And as one who does like formal nights, who are you calling a snob? You must be specific on these boards.:confused:

Did we need a new thread? The other one is still open and if people want to talk about formal night and attire, they can.

FYI, in case anyone is confused, the mods combined a new thread with this one which is why a couple of comments seem out of context. It really doesn't work, but whatever.

This.

For all the talk of tradition and formality...RCI sure doesn't mind interrupting your formal occasion to come by and take photos at the worst possible moments.

If people think that formal nights are more about tradition than making money than they are fooling themselves. I think they're fine and fun...but they're also cash cows for the cruiselines.

It depends on your perspective. To some passengers it's all about tradition. Isn't it supposed to be about the passengers experience? They're not concerned that it's a cash cow. To the skeptics it's just a cash cow. Different strokes for different folks.

I am one of "these people" and specifically explained that we dress in suits for work every day! Are you seriously comparing the sanctitude of a wedding with going on a Holiday?

And now we resort to comparing kids in school uniforms with adults in the mdr. Actually, I've looked at some of the photos in the fashion section and while some of the dresses are beautiful, there are many others who would look better if they ditched the low cut long dress (especially on aging women with tatts showing) - and wear a simple dress, They are dressing "formal" but their tastes are dreadful. And probably way more concerning than someone dressing casually. And you need to check out the chain mail dress which was formal but revealed waaaay more than anyone should be forced to see. But you can't legislate for bad taste, can you.

I'm not sure why this is so perplexing to you. Weddings traditionally are a formal occasion. Formal nights are traditionally a formal occasion. Why is this lost on you? I would counter that wearing a suit at work is a poor comparison to dressing for formal night. The bottom line is you don't have to participate but don't try and justify it by diminishing the event.

To all of the posters from the new thread, I'll summarize for you. The argument is that some cruisers want to control how others dress, while others recognize that RCCL suggests dress for formal night but formal dress is not required. The group that wants everyone to dress up for Formal nights, refuses to accept that some international passengers don't want to dress in formal attire and does not understand that the world has changed. Many people don't want to purchase and haul formal clothes on vacation. The group that wants to control how you dress is judgemental and will attack you if you disagree. They will even resort to name calling. I will take this opportunity to accept their apology and let them know I am not offended by their attacks.

So there you have it. No need for you to read a couple of hundred posts.

To all of the posters from the new thread, I'll summarize for you. The argument is that some cruisers want to control how others dress, while others recognize that RCCL suggests dress for formal night but formal dress is not required. The group that wants everyone to dress up for Formal nights, refuses to accept that some international passengers don't want to dress in formal attire and does not understand that the world has changed. Many people don't want to purchase and haul formal clothes on vacation. The group that wants to control how you dress is judgemental and will attack you if you disagree. They will even resort to name calling. I will take this opportunity to accept their apology and let them know I am not offended by their attacks.

Wow! Your kidding right? Are you so insecure and think so poorly of people that you need to inform them that you are right and everyone that disagrees with you is wrong? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Wow! Your kidding right? Are you so insecure and think so poorly of people that you need to inform them that you are right and everyone that disagrees with you is wrong? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

No I'm serious but you've got to be kidding. Many of those that want to control how others dress are the ones that can't accept that others may have a different opinion. They are the ones that are so judgemental and are doing the name calling.

Ok, now you have called me out...YOU addressed me by NAME! Told me, "I DIDN"T GET IT!" Then told me that "I MUST BE OF THE AGE ThaT I COULDN"T ACCEPT CHANGE."

You have no platform.

Hey Heidi, you just don't get it.... Formal occassions are going the way of the wagon wheel and the dinosaur. Perhaps you are of an age that just won't accept change any more, but you need to face the fact that nothing stays the same, Traditions and customs evolve. Formal events and all of the dress that goes with them are dying traditions. RCCL as well every business' success depends on the ability to change with the times. Just like the design of cruise ships has changed dramatically over the last couple of years, so have the interests of most of the cruisers. many people have no interst in dressing up for formal nights. Call them formal nights if you wish but don't try to coerce others into dressing like you. No matter how loud some of you whine, RCCL and the rest of us will continue to evolve.

Just in case you forgot. Have a nice night!

Lets just agree to dissagree.

I'm not sure why this is so perplexing to you. Weddings traditionally are a formal occasion. Formal nights are traditionally a formal occasion. Why is this lost on you? I would counter that wearing a suit at work is a poor comparison to dressing for formal night. The bottom line is you don't have to participate but don't try and justify it by diminishing the event.

Well, I certainly am not going to compare cruising on a ship with going to a wedding. You say I am trying to diminish the formal night by comparing it with work attire. Well, I say you are trying to diminish the importance of a formal Wedding by comparing it with a cruise!

Formal nights are what you want to make of it, nothing more. And how many times do I read here that people want to wear formal because they want a formal photo of their family. While I think that is a great idea, this is the reason why cruise lines LOVE formal nights "ka-ching".

Which means the cruise lines will continue with their formal nights for those who want to, and who want the photo opps, but they will not stop others cruising and dining who don't want to wear formal because hey, guess what, they can't do without their money either.

fyi, i don't offer an apology to you. i prefer not to offer apologies to anyone i haven't wronged. and i know i haven't wronged you at all because all i've done is offer my opinion in this thread.

i also think it's AWESOME that you just offered your opinion to everyone else as a fact of what this thread is about. i just love it when people decide for OTHER people what they should do, believe, or think. unless when i joined cruise critic i didn't realize i was acknowledging that i agreed to lose my own opinion whenever a formal dress thread came up. because i thought that forums like this were to share ideas and stuff we've learned on cruises and things like that. not to belittle and berate other people or anything like that.

hmm, kind of like when you go to the MDR on formal night, you're acknowledging that there is a dress code in the MDR or something like that. :rolleyes:

I love that Cinda Lauper song, True Colors...Used to sing it at karaoke.

Don't understand why some feel the only reason cruise lines keep formal night is making money on photos and seem to be upset about it. First of all, if you don't want your picture taken, as Dionne Warwick would sing.....Walk On By.:D Second, if it is a money making source and it in anyway contributes to keeping fares decent, IMO, they can take all the pictures they want.;)

Count me as one of the younger generation that enjoys the formal nights! And I've never bought even a single picture on a cruise! I simply enjoy the tradition of it and seeing everyone dressed up on a specific night(s) creates an extra special atmosphere on those nights. I've only been on two cruises, and am booked to go on my third (got my first Aft balcony thanks to the tips on here :D) . All have been out of Galveston to the Caribbean. My observations were that the vast majority of people still dress up at least somewhat for formal night. True, the definition of formal has changed. Tuxes and evening gowns weren't very common, but dark suits and cocktail dresses certainly were! And being out of Texas, Western formal isn't uncommon either (dress cowboy boots, black jeans, silk vests, western ties, maybe a black western suit coat)!

From my observations, not as many people go all out the second night, especially as it's often after a day in port. One time my brother, a Marine, threw his dress blues on over his dried swim trunks that he had worn all day! We only had about 15 minutes to get ready for dinner that night. Even then, on the second night most people will at least do a nice dress shirt and maybe a tie, and a nice dress for the ladies.

That being said, the ones that choose to not dress up and still come to the MDR don't bother me a bit. One young couple at our table didn't come to the MDR the first formal night cause they hadn't brought any formal clothes. It was their first cruise and they simply didn't know to bring any. We all encouraged them to come to the second formal night anyway, so they could enjoy lobster night!

The fact is Royal doesn't enforce the dress code, only encourages it, and the strict letter of it is probably a bit outdated anyway(evening gowns and tuxes as opposed to cocktail dresses and dark suits). But my observation on these two cruises was that most people still seem to enjoy dressing up on formal nights.

The ones that choose not to dress up shouldn't affect the enjoyment for the ones that do, and the ones that choose to wear casual shouldn't be affected by the ones that choose to observe formal night. I really don't see what the problem is either way or why anything needs to be changed. Just my two cents. ;)

And despite going all out for formal nights, most Casual nights I wear nice jeans to the MDR because I dislike wearing my everyday office clothes on vacation. :p

I think its time we all take a deep breath and relax a little. That being said, if you don't want to dress up for dinner on formal nights eat someplace else on those nights and let those folks who do enjoy the experience of formal nights do so.

Archived