Doctor kicked off Carnival cruise

I'm sure I would always appreciate the Captain erring on the side of caution unless I was the innocent party.

So does that tweet mean SOMEONE was/is planning SOMETHING? Or was it someone trying to set up the Dr.??

WOW this could happen to ANYONE....someone has a grudge against someone and then in miliseconds your vacation gets destroyed. Is this what they mean by social media?

Amazing he was not more angry.

WOW this could happen to ANYONE....someone has a grudge against someone and then in miliseconds your vacation gets destroyed. Is this what they mean by social media?

Well he did decline Carnival's offer to fly him to meet the ship at the next port.

I would not be a happy camper after this.

If he was scheduled to speak on the ship as a main attraction, it is bad that he refused to meet the ship.

It would make me think he is more interested in litigation than his "fans".

However, I do not know if he was a key speaker.

If he was scheduled to speak on the ship as a main attraction, it is bad that he refused to meet the ship.

He was one of many speakers on the 5th annual low carb cruise.

Probably more interested in the publicity than the litigation because he's likely not to receive anything.

After being treated like a criminal and kicked off the ship not to mention being humiliated, why would he want to go back?

After being treated like a criminal and kicked off the ship not to mention being humiliated, why would he want to go back?

I wouldn't have wanted to go back either. I would be worried about having to explain the situation dozens of times and have folks looking at me with caution or doubt..

Maybe they should call it anti-social media.

From a TV news release http://www.newschannel5.com/story/18169740/nashville-surgeon-target-of-cyber-attack-kicked-off-cruise-ship

All emphases are mine

This happened after the FBI special agent in charge spoke with the ship's Captain. "And said you're making an error here, we think this is completely safe, so did Homeland Security, so did the Coast Guard," Kruse said.

"Since the safety and well-being of our guests and crew is paramount, every security threat is taken seriously and fully investigated. Since the investigation was ongoing at the point the ship needed to depart, it was in the best interest of all guests and crew to err on the side of caution and not allow him to sail," Jennifer de la Cruz wrote in the statement.

In the first quote, we have only Kruse's assurance that this statement was made by the various agencies involved. I have no reason to not believe him . . . however,

If what Ms de la Cruz states is indeed fact, then IMO, the Captain took the correct course of action.

I think this is a classic case of being caught between a rock and a hard place.

If I were the good Dr. Kruse, I am not sure I would want to go back on board for the remainder of the cruise and pretty much for the reasons stated by cruisenanny.

This is a hard call. So, according to the Dr. he was searched and questioned once already boarded and was cleared by the police, FBI and Coast Guard. According to CCL the investigation was still ongoing when the ship left so they decided to not take the chance.

I am not sure what time he boarded but I am wondering how quickly these organizations worked to clear him within a few hours.

He quoted : And said you're making an error here, we think this is completely safe, so did Homeland Security, so did the Coast Guard," Kruse said.

I know a few FBI agents and I have never seen them say COMPLETELY anything, especially in a short time period like that.

Regardless, even if they thought it was safe, maybe there was still something going on when they left and they weren't satisfied with the outcome and were waiting on something else. Not really enough info here to judge if it was a harsh decision.

I think if CCL for one second thought that there could be a problem, they did the right thing. I don't think they stood to gain anything by not letting him board...they certainly didn't make any money by him not being there.

I don't think I would have wanted to join the ship either, but as mad as I might be, I think I would understand at the same time...wonder if they would have let him fly if this had been an airline...

Probably more interested in the publicity than the litigation because he's likely not to receive anything.

Not sure if that's the reason or the only reason. He could be soured on the whole cruise thing and wants to put it behind him. Once on board, he'd be fielding questions from the curious who heard the story, probably 3rd hand, and having to confront the Captain and others during the remainder of the cruise.

Given the latest "new and improved underwear bomb" scare and the Occupiers who wanted to blow up a bridge in Ohio (sorry kyrisong1 these guys weren't from Idaho), you have to take every potential threat as being real no matter who it's from or what the circumstances. Unfotunately, it's the times in which we live and the innocents among us all often wind up paying the price.

I believe he made a wise decision. Who can say the persons who started this would not have continued the threats and interrupted the cruise for thousands of people by causing the cruise line to shorten the cruise or turn the ship around ?

A bit off topic here, but this thread reminds me of something I was told in a professional development seminar. Searching the net for your name every once in a while is wise. I was told more than one teacher has found fake accounts set up in his/her name on different sites. I have also heard of students who have had someone set up fake accounts under their name. With all the new technology, I think laws etc on how to handle this type of thing haven't caught up quickly enough. This post made me think of that.

That is really scary

Reading between the lines, I took it to mean that someone..enemy,

"rival" diet guru, etc was trying to set up this guy

I agree it is hard ...Captain went with safety of all...the fact that it is such a short time period and ship about to sail also probably had a lot to do with his decision. It really sucks for the poor doctor who was defamed like this

People are so totally stupid at times.....like the fools that make "jokes" in the line at the airport

It was good to see that they are able to track down the jerk who did this,

sounds like it is a woman (rival, ex wife, ex girlfriend, competition in the diet guru world or stalker or ??)

I hope they do make an example of her...10 to 20 years sounds about right

They need to make examples of fools IMHO....or else more foolishness will occur. I just really hope I don't have to read some nonsense like she was "depressed" or "obsessed with him" or "off her meds'>

Put her in prison and stop the nonsense JMO of course :D

Archived