Why do cruiselines offer upgrades?

lucywestie

This may sound like it has an obvious answer. But what is in it for the cruise line when they offer a free upgrade. Im not talking about paying extra at a reduced rate, Im talking about a free, out of thin air offer.

I know the cruise company makes more money from better situated cabins, inside/balcony/aft/middle etc etc.

Just that I have read a couple of threads on here lately where people have got upgrades from Interior cabins to balconies etc. What does the company actually get from this, its not like if you are upgraded you will spend more than you originally planned on say excursions or drinks and meals etc.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has an inkling of an idea about this?

Pete

As it gets closer to the cruise date, they want to sell the remaining cabins. They will also reduce prices. By upgrading an already booked passenger to a higher cabin, the can fill the lower ones more easily. Also, if the new price in the higher ranked cabin is as high or higher in price as the original booking, even after the price reductions, the passenger is happy!

There is a method to their madness!

It's sometimes harder to sell higher cost cabins. When it looks like some will go unsold, they will upgrade some people, freeing up easier-to-sell lower cost cabins. It's part science, part art. But the idea is to maximize revenue and souls on board (who will spend money).

Supply and demand with some PR thrown in. Usually, the closer to sailing, demand is higher for inside and oceanview cabins so they upgrade those already booked, make them very happy, and fill demand with the vacated cabins.

Also someone who is upgraded from an inside to a balcony or from any cabin to a higher category, may really like the new category and book that one for future cruises. Have read many CCers say, once they were upgraded to a suite or balcony, they couldn't go back. So a revenue enhancer in the future.

Also someone who is upgraded from an inside to a balcony or from any cabin to a higher category, may really like the new category and book that one for future cruises. Have read many CCers say, once they were upgraded to a suite or balcony, they couldn't go back. So a revenue enhancer in the future.

Yes, we just got upgraded from a Balcony to a Mini-suite and I am afraid that we will get spoiled by it.. I can see that the cost of future cruises just may be going up again!

It's sometimes harder to sell higher cost cabins. When it looks like some will go unsold, they will upgrade some people, freeing up easier-to-sell lower cost cabins. It's part science, part art. But the idea is to maximize revenue and souls on board (who will spend money).

This is correct.

Not on a cruise, but at a resort my husband and I were upgraded from a standard room to one of their suites the first time we stayed there. We've been back a dozen times since, always booking that suite. It more than paid off for them.

For the same reason stores have sales: to move undesirable product (cabins) off the shelves. If they wait till last minute to reduce let's say balcony cabin price, everybody would wait for lower price. They can over-sell inside cabins, and move people any way they want.

If they wind up with unsold cabins at the last minute, they can give them away as "freebies" to travel agents. Those travel agents, who pay nothing, are happy for what they get for nothiing -- and the paying passenger who gets upgraded is happy for getting more than he paid for --that way they have twice as many happy people (read repeat customers or loyal agents) for each cabin tghey give away.

I agree with most who say it's to get the ship as full as possible before sailing.

Say someone is looking for a last minute cruise. Well there is only an owners suite open. The chance of someone having $10k to drop on a last min cruise is a lot less than someone having $1500 for an inside room.

When the upsell fairy calls, it isn't always a killer deal. On our Carnival Cruise they tried to upgrade us at the resident price for our cruise. So it really was no more than what we would pay if we booked right then, but it is a lot more tempting to have already paid off the cruise, and only pay $300 more for 4 for a suite. I didn't take it as we were in a 9B on the Legend and it would have been about 30 more sq feet for the room. But someone in a balcony room for more than the price we paid (cheapest balcony was $400 more than our room at the time) it would have been a MUCH bigger upgrade for the price.

Archived