Car seat in taxi

Grandma of 4

Our group of 7 will be traveling from Port Everglades to FLL in 2 taxis. Will the taxi driver willingly wait while we situate the carseat for the 14 mo old? Carseats are required for children under 3 in Florida even in taxis, aren't they? We figure a shuttle would be more expensive and wouldn't have a seat belt to secure the carseat anyway. Or is there a better suggestion than 2 separate taxis?

There are some taxis that are vans...they may hold more than 4....that's about the max in a taxi in Miami.

Yes...they will wait for you to put the carseat in! It's only about a 10 min. ride to the port. Cost about $12 per taxi.

There are some taxis that are vans...they may hold more than 4....that's about the max in a taxi in Miami.

Yes...they will wait for you to put the carseat in! It's only about a 10 min. ride to the port. Cost about $12 per taxi.

What have you done with cb? This can't be her. She usually advises leaving the seat at home because she grew up safely without being in a car seat.

I know there are some who will wrap their kids in bubble wrap to keep them safe and sound every single second of every single day.....

For those short trips, I wouldn't bother. See, we grew up with no carseats...or even, seatbelts, and guess what...we're still here! Alive and kicking!

Actually, in most jurisdictions, taxis are exempt from the car seat rule. While children cannot be denied the right to travel in a car seat while traveling, the are not required to be in a car seat while traveling in a taxi.

We are taking our third cruise with child (now three) and have yet to take a car seat on any of them. The first two cruises were from local cruiseports, so we drove to the ship. One the one to the Bahamas, we rented a car with car seat while in Florida, and we used buses in Nassau. We traveled by public transport and taxi in Bermuda, and have arranged to take a shore excursion with someone in Alaska who will be providing a car seat. We will be using a CARES harness for the plane to the left coast.

That said, my son has been riding the bus to day care since he has been three months old. (Presumably a city bus will win crash battle with an SUV every time). He is fully aware of the need to use a car seat in the car, but not while on public transport. In your case, you need to do what you are comfortable with.

Actually, in most jurisdictions, taxis are exempt from the car seat rule. While children cannot be denied the right to travel in a car seat while traveling, the are not required to be in a car seat while traveling in a taxi.

But OP is asking about Florida, and Florida requires a car seat in cabs.

And last time I checked, the laws of physics did not change depending on your location.

Decide ahead of time who is going to monitor the child, who is going to monitor the luggage getting into the cabs and who is going to install the seat. Think pit crew tire change situation if you don't want to mess around.

We've had parents post here about not being able to get a cab at the airport in Florida because they didn't bring a car seat. Not a great way to start a vacation.

Best,

Mia

Then it's a stupid law...

There is a reason why taxis in most places are exempt from car seat laws.Besides tourists who may not have a car seat with them (especially if they take public transport to the airport and use a CARES on an airplane, it also doesn't take into account those people who travel one with by public transport (bus, subway etc.) and then have an emergency (of which I can present many) which necessitates travel by taxi or car service. Would car safety advocates prefer them to be stranded? While I am not one to take a lackadaisicalattitude towards child safety, there are times that there needs to be flexibility with the law.

There is a reason why taxis in most places are exempt from car seat laws.Besides tourists who may not have a car seat with them (especially if they take public transport to the airport and use a CARES on an airplane, it also doesn't take into account those people who travel one with by public transport (bus, subway etc.) and then have an emergency (of which I can present many) which necessitates travel by taxi or car service. Would car safety advocates prefer them to be stranded? While I am not one to take a lackadaisicalattitude towards child safety, there are times that there needs to be flexibility with the law.

It's not a stupid law. The only thing stupid are the people who think it's OK to skip the car seat because they are on vacation or for whatever other pathetic reason they can conjure up. We have enough people injured in auto accidents in this state, we don't need more. Don't like it, stay the hell away. We don't need more stupidity caused trauma cases clogging our ER's.

OP, the driver will have no problem waiting for you to install the seat as they aren't allowed to transport children not properly secured. I'd remember that patience and extra time when determining the tip. Also you might be able to find a nine passenger van cab that will be able to accommodate you all if you don't have tons of luggage.

Then I will not visit Florida. Clearly a state as broke as Florida with all of its forclosed homes doesn't need my money. It should institute an income tax on its residents instead.

I'd rather have you not visit than visit and have your child DIE in an accident because you didn't love them enough to properly restrain them.

We have been to Florida twice now with booster and car seats and have never had a problem having a taxi driver wait for me to put them in. Actually it takes me less time to install the car seats and secure the children than it does DH to help the driver load the luggage.

Kudos to you for bringing car seats and keeping your children safe.

As for the poster reporting "most" jurisdictions exempt this moron requiring taxis, I can say that at least in Canada, this is changing. It was only a few has ago that taxis and even grandparents were exempt, now they all must have car seats appropriate for the child being transported. As others have said, the laws of physics don't change because you are traveling in a taxi. Public transportation is different, mainly due to the size of the vehicle and the fact they are designed to protect the occupants without restraints. That being said, I will usually choose to transport my children in my vehicle or a taxi with appropriate restraints when give then choice.

Thanks all of you for your replies. Do you know if the 9 passenger van cab is metered or is the charge per person or a combination of the two?

All licensed cabs are metered and charge the same regulated fare regardless of size. If there isn't a van, ask one of the drivers to call dispatch and request one for you.

We have been to Florida twice now with booster and car seats and have never had a problem having a taxi driver wait for me to put them in. Actually it takes me less time to install the car seats and secure the children than it does DH to help the driver load the luggage.

Kudos to you for bringing car seats and keeping your children safe.

As for the poster reporting "most" jurisdictions exempt this moron requiring taxis' date=' I can say that at least in Canada, this is changing. It was only a few has ago that taxis and even grandparents were exempt, now they all must have car seats appropriate for the child being transported. As others have said, the laws of physics don't change because you are traveling in a taxi. Public transportation is different, mainly due to the size of the vehicle and the fact they are designed to protect the occupants without restraints. That being said, I will usually choose to transport my children in my vehicle or a taxi with appropriate restraints when give then choice.[/quote']

My family traveled to Vancouver last year and carseats are not required for taxis. I looked up the law before we left. We took a risk and didn't bring a carpet because that was the only trip we would need the two carseats for (we took the sky train and buses the rest of the trip including going back to the airport). I have a friend who lives in New York City and she said that people don't lug around car seats for taxis there. I would never drive a car without putting my kids in a carseats but took a calculated risk that taxis know the local roads, the hotel was not far from the airport, and the taxi could use surface streets to get there. If the hotel were any further we would have brought the car seats.

If you have an emergency, call an ambulance. You may need one anyway if you think it's too much of a hassle to bring a car seat with you.

If you have an emergency, call an ambulance. You may need one anyway if you think it's too much of a hassle to bring a car seat with you.

+1 My husband is an EMT, and the only time he's ever seen kids injured in a MVA was when they weren't secured into a car seat. In the case of the latter he reports that almost 100% of the time there is injury, some more serious than others. The only time he's ever had to put a three year old on a backboard was when they cut his unsecured body out of the wreckage of a car that had been t-boned by a guy who ran a red light in the middle of the day. A few weeks earlier he had a four year old in a car seat in a similar circumstance who didn't have a scratch on them.

+1 My husband is an EMT, and the only time he's ever seen kids injured in a MVA was when they weren't secured into a car seat. In the case of the latter he reports that almost 100% of the time there is injury, some more serious than others. The only time he's ever had to put a three year old on a backboard was when they cut his unsecured body out of the wreckage of a car that had been t-boned by a guy who ran a red light in the middle of the day. A few weeks earlier he had a four year old in a car seat in a similar circumstance who didn't have a scratch on them.

Interestingly enough, most of us who are adamant about using car seats work in health care and see the results of unrestrained children.

Take the advice, don't take the advice, it really doesn't matter to me. Just know what could happen if you don't use an appropriate restraint with your child.

Thanks all of you for your replies. Do you know if the 9 passenger van cab is metered or is the charge per person or a combination of the two?

Only once have I been charged extra (usually a dollar or two) when requesting a van, but the company has always told us of this when we call.

Interestingly enough' date=' most of us who are adamant about using car seats work in health care and see the results of unrestrained children.

Take the advice, don't take the advice, it really doesn't matter to me. Just know what could happen if you don't use an appropriate restraint with your child.[/quote']

Except that when that child is critically injured it is the taxpayer who will pick up the cost of long term care.

Do you need a car seat in a nine passenger van cab in Florida?

Yes. Seat belt/child restraint laws apply to all cars, pickup trucks, and vans operated on Florida roads.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0300-0399/0316/Sections/0316.613.html

http://sheriff.org/safety/carseat.cfm

http://www.dmvflorida.org/seat-belt-laws.shtml

We booked the nachi cocom in Cozumel and you can bet I WILL bring my carseat for my 6 month old. There is no way I would ever get into a car without him in one. I will take the hassle of dragging it around, or stay on ship. Please always buckle your kids in a carseat.

Archived