Babies in diapers in pools ??? Complaining

CruzinKatz

I hate to even bring this subject up again because it causes so many people to say bad things to each other..Instead I'm complaining about DCL. If you go to their website where you order items for a baby that can be delivered to your cabin, you can order the diapers for swimming.

It's already been explained that it is a health issue. NO KIDS IN POOLS THAT AREN'T POTTY TRAINED.

Doesn't it send out mixed signals for people to be able to buy these diapers and have them delivered only to find out they can't use them??

Pet Peeve...sorry...

I hate to even bring this subject up again because it causes so many people to say bad things to each other..Instead I'm complaining about DCL. If you go to their website where you order items for a baby that can be delivered to your cabin, you can order the diapers for swimming.

It's already been explained that it is a health issue. NO KIDS IN POOLS THAT AREN'T POTTY TRAINED.

Doesn't it send out mixed signals for people to be able to buy these diapers and have them delivered only to find out they can't use them??

Pet Peeve...sorry...

You can use them in the splash area. Swim diapers are allowed there, just not the regular pools.

And, in some ports, there are excursions that may allow kids in diapers in the pools.

:)

You can use them in the splash area. Swim diapers are allowed there, just not the regular pools.

And, in some ports, there are excursions that may allow kids in diapers in the pools.

I guess that's why they sell them. I just think it sends out a mixed message for those that don't understand why their baby can't get in the pool.

Swim diapers are allowed in every kid pools anywhere in USA .

Sorry that is not correct Gary......our town pool doesn't and most private clubs don't..the the state campground pools don't allow them.....I am sure there are others.

Criuse ships, even with thier great ability to make fresh water can't keep emptying and refilling the pools everytime the baby has a accident.

Its really a health issue.

AKK

I guess that's why they sell them. I just think it sends out a mixed message for those that don't understand why their baby can't get in the pool.

As you said Katz, its a health issue.the ships can't keep emptying the pools every time a baby has a diaper accident.

I really don't think the cost of the diapers is a big deal or issue.

AKK

I'm not sure about excursions but I can confirm Nemo's Reef is swim diaper approved. It's one of the main reasons we chose the dream. Our son also wears them at the beach so they can be used at Castaway as well.

CruzinKatz, I can understand your confusion. Fortunately for you Disney is one of only 2 cruise lines that actually has a swim facility on board specially designed for children who are not potty trained. This is a special area, separate from the main pools, that involves a special filtration system to handle bacteria that can come from feces. Main pools do not have this system (they are too big), but the small splash area does. Most other cruise lines do not have this sort of facility (the only other is RCI, and only on some of their ships). So have fun with your little one in a swim diaper in the special splash area on your Disney cruise, but on most other cruise lines none of the pools can handle children who are not potty trained.

So back to your original point: DCL has good reason to sell swim diapers. They CAN be used in their ships' facilities, but just in a specially designated area. Hope this helps.

When we booked on dcl with my 11 month old the person on the phone that booked my cruise made sure to tell me that my 11 month old wouldn't be allowed in the regular pool only in splash zone which of course they need a swim diaper for. As long as they make it clear that children in diapers aren't allowed in the regular pool its not a big deal which they do.

CruzinKatz, I can understand your confusion. Fortunately for you Disney is one of only 2 cruise lines that actually has a swim facility on board specially designed for children who are not potty trained. This is a special area, separate from the main pools, that involves a special filtration system to handle bacteria that can come from feces. Main pools do not have this system (they are too big), but the small splash area does. Most other cruise lines do not have this sort of facility (the only other is RCI, and only on some of their ships). So have fun with your little one in a swim diaper in the special splash area on your Disney cruise, but on most other cruise lines none of the pools can handle children who are not potty trained.

So back to your original point: DCL has good reason to sell swim diapers. They CAN be used in their ships' facilities, but just in a specially designated area. Hope this helps.

There's no special filtration. The CDC Vessel Sanitation Program doesn't allow it. The splash area fresh water is used once then dumped. The pools use the same water once it is filtered, chlorinated and re-used. This is why the DCL pools are open in ports while the other lines' salt-water pools are closed. They aren't allowed to pull up salt water in port or near the coast.

We were on an MSC Cruise in February, and there were two toddlers that were nude almost the entire time they were around the deck. In the regular pool and even into the hot tub (although the littlest one didn't like the hot tub, dad encouraged him to get in!).:confused:

I thought this was so gross, I left the pool when the toddlers entered.:eek:

Yuk.

PS: Swim diapers don't hold back everything! Have seen lots of "leaking" out the sides..... ewwww

Sorry but have to add this, reading through makes me conjure up the images of Bill Murray emptying the pool in "Caddy Shack" :) Good luck to those of you in this predicament. I think most of us were there at one point in time.

This was our first day out on our Oct cruise. Mickey pool closed for cleaning - already!

53mnau.jpg

They are only meant to hold in solids.. :) Ran out of diapers once and tried to use a swimmer I had and well ooops I had a wet floor.

We were on an MSC Cruise in February, and there were two toddlers that were nude almost the entire time they were around the deck. In the regular pool and even into the hot tub (although the littlest one didn't like the hot tub, dad encouraged him to get in!).:confused:

I thought this was so gross, I left the pool when the toddlers entered.:eek:

Yuk.

PS: Swim diapers don't hold back everything! Have seen lots of "leaking" out the sides..... ewwww

They are only meant to hold in solids.. :) Ran out of diapers once and tried to use a swimmer I had and well ooops I had a wet floor.

We always put the swim diaper over a regular diaper followed by a bathing suit. That seems to work pretty good for us. It worked very well in Nemo's Reef. I still wondered how many cruisers were thinking our child had no swim diaper because all you could see was a bathing suit.

As for the pool - we would never take our child into an area he wasn't suppose to go... that being said... I bet most of the pee in the pool comes from the adults. I've even seen one admit it on a cruise once. It's a safe bet if a pool is crowded...anywhere...it has pee in it.

Babies get a bum wrap when it comes to pools - at least they wear diapers

We always put the swim diaper over a regular diaper followed by a bathing suit. That seems to work pretty good for us. It worked very well in Nemo's Reef. I still wondered how many cruisers were thinking our child had no swim diaper because all you could see was a bathing suit.

As for the pool - we would never take our child into an area he wasn't suppose to go... that being said... I bet most of the pee in the pool comes from the adults. I've even seen one admit it on a cruise once. It's a safe bet if a pool is crowded...anywhere...it has pee in it.

Babies get a bum wrap when it comes to pools - at least they wear diapers

Yeah, adults can be filthy. Intentionally or unintentionally. I've seen plenty of people on cruise ships that didn't look like they had the physical ability to wipe as well as they should.

Recently returned from the Dream and found lots of children in the Mickey pool wearing swim diapers even though there is a sign saying no diapers. Children being children end up swallowing water and heard lots of parents telling their children not to drink the water. Now the problem is if parents ignore the rules then don't be surprised if young ones end up being I'll during the cruise. Happended to us on our first cruise and is not a pleasant way to spend your vacation with a child feeling unwell.

So be responsible and if you have kids who are not potty trained don't put them in the pool use Nemo's reef which is less crowded and more fun.

Unfortunately they don't hold solids in that well either, I've seen it leaking all sorts of stuff. Nuff said. Eww. Gross.:(

• 5 weeks later...

Well I'd probably spend most of the time in the adult pool, but I'm the type who will flat out say something. I love Disney, love kids, love to see kids having fun, but kids fun stops at the line where it conflicts with other people's health and their vacation. One of my biggest beefs at Disneyland/world is parents who think that their vacation trumps everyone else's.

My daughter - in her swimmie - happily played in the splash zone recently on the Magic. Anyone who thinks any public pool - on a ship or land - is totally "clean" is kidding themselves. I have seen people on the forums talking about rushing potty training so their kids came swim in the pools. Do you really believe that these kids are not having "accidents" in the pool? And I have also read about adults admitting to the same. So disgusting. With all the kids in the Mickey pool, I was thrilled my daughter wasn't allowed in. And I don't think I've ever gone swimming in a ship's pool. No thanks!

• 3 years later...

Ok, I just have to give my 2 centavos on the whole baby swim diaper issue.

Just returned from a cruise on RCCL. My daughter and son in law brought their 8 month old baby on the cruise. Honestly, I did think he was too young to cruise, but I was glad to have the time with him. On the first day, unbeknowst to any of us, we were told no babies in the water with swim diapers. Disappointing to all of us since he is a swim baby born in Hawaii. No problem though, we abided by the rules. What bothered me, while laying by the adult pool, disgusted me. My family and I people watched the adult pool partiers for hours. Don't get me wrong, I had my cocktail in hand, but stayed out of the water. Quite frankly, I saw several adults stay in the water for hours on end without getting out for an occasional potty break. By the end of the day, the water was absolutely DISGUSTING! You could not even see the bottom of the pool. You can't tell me that those lingering adults were not peeing in the water. Maybe adult swim diapers should be mandatory for those adults that stay in the water for more than an hour at a time. Or maybe, the babies should be allowed to go diaperless and pee in the pool like the adults. Just sayn'....

Swim diapers are NOT allowed in every pool in the U.S.

Our neighborhood got tired of closing the pool because of "accidents" from swim diapers (no details here for obvious reasons) so no children are allowed to wear only swim diapers. They MUST be covered with plastic pants or NO SWIMMING.

Thank goodness.

Even if a swim diaper is "leak proof", should a child poop in the diaper, and is in the pool, even if the poop doesn't fall out, the bacteria is mixing into the water....not all pools are large enough and filtered enough to cope with that sort of stuff.....especially, ship pools that are so tiny. A bit municipal pool can probably handle it....