Wish I knew that before my first cruise...

Orangeguy

About two weeks from now we will be embarking on our first cruise ever. And I was wondering, what are some things you wish you knew before you took your first cruise? I'm posting this on the HAL board because I'm mostly interested in HAL specific tips, but I'd greatly appreciate any generic tips too.

The two biggest things I've learned on the CC boards is that ability to write in items on the breakfast card for room service in the AM once the MDR opens and the many reminders not to forget my passport, but what else should I know before heading of to Seattle?

For first time cruise passengers it is good to be reminded the sea is the mistress and the captain is the master once you board a ship.

This means things can (and will) happen differently on a ship than what you might expect on a land-based vacation. Plus there is a "social contract" between yourself and your fellow passenger to abide by regulations and honor guidelines.

As we have learned tragically after the recent Costa disaster, at any given time (rare, rare, rare) you and your fellow passengers must work together for everyone's mutual benefit under the most extreme conditions. This fact must always haunt everyone who comes onboard. And why those who think rules are for fools are not those you want sharing this uniquely precious space with.

Oh yes, and also wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands and always be aware to not are inadvertently putting your fingers into your mouth, eyes or nose because any latent bugs you might have picked up somewhere else still have to get into your own system, and like any crowded space ships also have surfaces other passengers have contaminated.

Specific parts of the essential social contract one enters into when onboard is to not flush anything that does not belong down the toilet and if you have a balcony, don't force the door to stay open at any time day or night.

Now, that is some of the "bad" stuff. The good stuff is HAL have great ships and attract a great group of passengers. Hope you have a wonderful time.

I never knew about in room dining from the MDR for years:eek:

I definitely bring some wine on board to enjoy in our cabin but don't think the water or soda is worth the effort. (unless there is a particular soda you really want).

I wish I had known about the adagio strings from day 1. I discovered them 1/2 way through my first cruise.

I learned that it's important to go with a glass 1/2 full attitude. If you are missing something - ask for it - don't grumble or let it ruin your cruise.

Have a problem? deal with it and move on:)

Mostly, remember to thank the being you worship that you have the ability to cruise and enjoy different parts of the world. Appreciate the little things.

And enjoy everything:)

figure you what clothes you are going to take and only take half of them. Honestly, you will not wear them all. Also shoes! Try to take basic clothes and clothes that can be used with other outfits. I made the mistake of taking a skirt and a top that went with nothing else and needed a special color shoes to boot. DUmb!!

For Alaska: layered cothes and rain coat

For Alaska: layered cothes and rain coat

And if you don't bring it, you can buy fuzzy clothes at all the Alaska port stops. And that the ship store has appropriate extra clothing items too if you don't pack everything you think you might need.

Here's a few things I always pack just in case:

1. Allegra (or some type of allergy med). Hubby had an allergic reaction one time and they did not sell it in the ship's shops. Fortunately I had some with us ... he was a mass of hives and the doctor office wasn't open at the time.

2. Immodium

3. Tylenol and/or Advil

4. Bio-Bands and/or motion sickness meds. Never had to use them, but good to know I have them. I also pack a small box of saltines. If anyone has a queasy stomach, these really do help. The crackers we've used a couple of times.

5. A positive attitude, don't let any little bumps in the road affect your vacation.

TIP: If you decide to take motion sickness meds ... the ones we pack you take once a day. They can make you drowsy, so take them at night time before bed. Then in the morning you should be more alert. Voice of experience on that ... I had to take them for a vertigo issue a few years ago. The Pharmacist told me that trick. You can purchase over the counter meds at the local drugstore.

Here's the link to bio-bands. My mom swore by them. She put it on before she left home and kept it on 24/7 until she was back home 24 hours. Worked like a charm. Prior to that she really suffered with motion sickness. http://www.biobands.com/ She bought two so that after she showered, she had a dry one to put on.

Have a wonderful time.

Don't overpack.

Don't overpack.

Don't overpack.

Personally, I'm still working on this as it's very easy to do.

Ditto, Ditto, Ditto. Honestly, we're still working on this too (actually dh is;)) but what can you say when he looks wonderful;)

One thing we learned on our first cruise was to always leave a day early.Less chance of something happening and missing the ship.Plus if you leave a day early you will be well rested when it is time to board the ship/Have a great cruise,My wife and I took are first cruise a year ago it was the time of our lifes.It was a 14 day hawaiin on the Sapphire Princess,:)

One thing we learned on our first cruise was to always leave a day early.Less chance of something happening and missing the ship.Plus if you leave a day early you will be well rested when it is time to board the ship/Have a great cruise,My wife and I took are first cruise a year ago it was the time of our lifes.It was a 14 day hawaiin on the Sapphire Princess,:)

GOOD advice!!! We always come in a day early and often stay at least one day after. Extends our vacation just a bit, and is so much less stressful this way too.

-Keep a positive attitude and stay away from "chronic complainers" (they are everywhere).

-Understand that everything will not be perfect, but will be very good.

-Get on a vacation state of mind from day one, enjoy everything and don't let anything get you down.

-Always ask yourself: Would I rather be here doing this or stuck at work? (I think I know the answer to this).

-The food might not be perfect, but it's a heck of a lot better than what I eat every day and how often do I have an 8 course dinner option at home?

-Have fun people watching.

-Look out to the ocean, it is just majestic.

-Enjoy every minute of your cruise, it will be over before you know it.

First, re-read what Gonzo said. In fact print it out and carry it with you.

A few hints. If you are pre-purchasing liquor or soda or liquor cards, have them delivered at sea. If you have them delivered to your state room you have to pay tax on them.

One way to save on packing is to buy the "all you can launder" package. I forget what it's called but you pay one set amount of all of the laundry you want. That way you can pack less, and still have clean clothes at the end.

Don't worry about packing too much or too little. Life wont end in either case.

Have fun. Alaska is a fantastic first cruise. The scenery from the ship is amazing. If you don't have a balcony spend as much time on deck as possible. It's wonderful wonderful wonderful.

Spend more time researching the ports of call than worrying about the ship. Holland America is a quality line, they will take good care of you, you will eat well.

Have a plan for each port, life is short you may never get back there again. Take the port information sheet with you, they pass it out the night before each port. Write down the all abord time, have someone in the group be the timekeeper if you are touring independently.

Don't worry in advance about little ship details- what night is formal, who is the entertainer or the CD. Let the ship come to you. Sample some shows, some lectures or events but don't try to do everything on board. Read the daily program, pick and choose.

Always keep some immodium and especially anti-nausea suppositories in your checked baggage. Developing norovirus symptoms on an airplane would be an unmitigated disaster.

We nearly learned this one the hard way. I thought I was going to die with N&V on the next to last night of a cruise. When we flew home my wife and I were worried the entire time that she would come down with norovirus. Fortunately, she didn't develop symptoms until about thirty minutes after we arrived home. She took immodium and a phenergan suppository which eliminated all symptoms, and she slept like a baby for about twelve hours. I shudder to think what would have happened on an airplane without the appropriate meds.

-one you have packed, take away half of the clothes, shoes, etc.

-if you plan on taking shore excursions, do some research into private tours. they are usually less crowded, more comprehensive, and less expensive.

-don't pack you passport in your suitcase

-if you have any concerns or issues, take them up with the front desk....no use in commenting once you get home as it is too late to have it fixed

-formal evenings are not as formal as you think, especially on the Alaska runs. You can skip them altogether (we do) if you wish by eating in the Lido)

-if you are eating breakfast in the Lido, the very last item to get are the hot items. If not, they will be cold by the time you get to your table....why we usually eat breakfast in the MDR. Room service can be VERY spotty-ranging from fast to don't bother/not worth the wait, and from the hot items being hot being hot to being delivered decidedly lukewarm or cold.

-try to avoid some of the foods in the Lido that are sometimes 'pawed' by people who either are too ignorant to know better or who just don't care....breads, fruits, cookies, etc

-if your MDR dinner is not what you expected, not to your taste, or cooked incorrectly do not hesitate to ask for it to be replaced or to select an alternate entree, etc.. HAL was you to be a happy customer.

-don't use the internet on the ship unless you absolutely have to. It is extremely slow and extremely expensive.

-if you are going to Alaska you might want to take some binoculars

-wash your hands vigorously several times throughout the day. Try to avoid using the handrails and the public restrooms.

Always keep some immodium and especially anti-nausea suppositories in your checked baggage. Developing norovirus symptoms on an airplane would be an unmitigated disaster.

We nearly learned this one the hard way. I thought I was going to die with N&V on the next to last night of a cruise. When we flew home my wife and I were worried the entire time that she would come down with norovirus. Fortunately, she didn't develop symptoms until about thirty minutes after we arrived home. She took immodium and a phenergan suppository which eliminated all symptoms, and she slept like a baby for about twelve hours. I shudder to think what would have happened on an airplane without the appropriate meds.

And that is how noro virus gets carried onto the ships, mostly.

People not well, suffering from Noro virus, get on the planes and the germs are spread like crazy. Other passengers get it by touching all the surfaces the ill person(s) touched, they then put fingers in eyes/ears/nose/mouth and become ill. They don't even know they have picked up the germ from the airplanes when they board the ship but sure enough....... an outbreak of Noro results.

OP........ best advice for a first time cruiser. Get in the habit of washing your hands at every available opportunity and not putting fingers in eyes/nose/ears/mouth. Those are entry ports for virus and you really, really don't want noro virus on your cruise or at anytime for that matter.

1. Binoculars - for an Alaska cruise it is a must to get good views of wildlife.
  2. Wine - HAL lets you bring as much as you want for drinking in the cabins. I always enjoy a nice glass of wine in the afternoon before dinner.
  3. Make use of the unlimited laundry package. It is a great deal and you can bring less luggage.
  4. Soda beverage cards mean half-off if you are a soda drinker, beverage cards if you want specialty coffees or mixed drinks. Buying beverage cards pre-cruise or on the first day gives 5-10% discounts.
  5. Arrive a day early - you never know what might happen with air schedules and you won't want to miss the boat. Or arrive a few days and do any Seattle tours on the front end before you start. Makes the vacation less hectic.

According to my DH the omlets at the Lido are some of the best he has ever had. Also at lunch at the Lido you MUST try the Bread Pudding... it is to die for!

Agree with all who have said DO NOT OVER PACK. If nothing else remember that at the end of your cruise you have to re-pack all that "stuff" you didn't need. The most important thing is to pack that "Good Attitude and with it you will create a wonderful cruise.

Don't obsess about anything. Use common sense when it comes to being in a confined space like a ship. Although it is publicised, noro doesn't really happen anymore at sea than in any other confined space, like a concert arena, sporting event etc. They just don't keep the kind of records the ship does.

Use the hand sanitizers around the ship, and I like to avoid putting my hands on a lot of common areas like stair rails if I can avoid it.

You are just as likely to catch a bug on an airliner because all the air is recirculated throughout the cabin.

You will learn alot on your first cruise that you can use on future voyages. Just sit back and enjoy the trip. If you need advice while on board, I'm sure there will be people more than willing to help!:D:D

To the OP..Suggest you cross pack, as you never know when one or more bags are lost on the way to the port, or are delayed in getting to your cabin..In other words, put some of your things & some of your partner's things in each bag, such as underwear, pj's, shirts, formal wear, sweaters, daytime & dinner clothes.. We carry passports, meds, money, a change of clothes for dinner & many of our bathroom supplies including my makeup in our carry-on's..It can be expensive to purchase basic things on board so, I have two 12 in wide special lingerie bags for most of our bathroom supplies..These are always packed & hang on the bathroom door..Each compartment is labeled as to what it contains..Occassionally, the kitchen sink gets into them:D (only kidding) ... We don't take soap, shampoo or conditioner, as HAL supplies these..

Ditto, Ditto, Ditto. Honestly, we're still working on this too (actually dh is;)) but what can you say when he looks wonderful

I was in the International Airline Travel field for 32 years & always had to restrict my clothing & shoe choices..Once we moved to Fla. & able to drive to the port I've given way to over packing! DH always has a fit, as he thinks 5 shirts 3 pr of slacks, one Tux, an extra jacket, 5 pr of under ware & 2 pr of shoes will get him through a 30 day cruise..:eek:

I don't let him get away with it though, & don't understand why the need to restrict our packing;). Very pleased that HAL will have FedEx pick up four of our bags on our next cruise & ship them to the port for us...All our bags are now 26 in & under, therefore might see what the cost would be for us to ship an additional bag to the port, as don't think all of our clothes will fit into our 4 bags for our Prinsendam cruise in Jan...;)

Even when we flew to Alaska we checked & paid for an extra bag..However, if we fly to Alaska again, I've learned not to pack dress clothes for the land portion, as Alaska is very casual even in the nice restaurants...I'll pack for the cruise separately & for the land portion separately..

We each take a 20 in rolling carry-on which has a change of clothes for dinner, PJ's, Meds, reading material, cruise info & bathroom supplies etc. etc. And for the first time we are not going to rent a car & drive to the port, but take the connx bus instead..

Cheers...:)Betty

Archived