Toddlers and the MDR - AHHHHHHH

CaroleSS

I am not going to flame you at all and I have a 2 year old (two grown children as well). We opt not to go out to dinner much these days as it is not very relaxing for us and I would not want to impose on others trying to enjoy their dinner. I get very upset when my husband and I get a night out alone and we have to deal with folks not handling their kids. We will definitely try the MDR on our October cruise but if my lil' angel starts to cause a ruckus he will be swiftly removed from the area. If the first couple nights don't go well we might opt for the kids club or the buffet. We will figure it out as we go along.

I am in banking and it amazes me how many parents bring their children in and sit down to handle their business without a care in the world...meanwhile their child is sliding across the floors, tearing up deposit slips and running in and out of offices. Totally clueless. Consideration for others for many seems to no longer exist.

My daughter just graduated from HS last week and I opted to leave my two year old home with dad (not my daughters father) because it is a once in a lifetime opportunity and I wanted to focus on her and didn't want to ruin someone elses experience. My son would have been miserable as well. I know some have to bring their kids to everything they do but some don't and shouldn't.

I know that I will get all types of hate posts, but I'll say it anyway - if your kid (age 0 to 80+) is crying, squawking, or otherwise making all types of loud noises in the MDR, PLEASE take them outside, to the babysitters, eat at the Windjammer, etc…..PLEASE!!! If your kid can sit still and be relatively quiet, feel free to dine in the MDR, otherwise please make other arrangements!!!!

I get it.....I have kids. We didn't go out to dinner until they were old enough to behave in public and could sit still for an hour. I also totally get that kids make noise, SOME noise - but the kid sitting at the table next to us cried through every meal…..and the parents did NOTHING!!! It was especially bothersome on formal night. The last night the kid was so cranky that the parents just took him out of the high chair and let him run around the dining room!!

I DO understand that they paid for the cruise as well and that they have the ‘right’ to eat in the MDR, but when your kid is preventing me from having a conversation or is incessantly squawking at the top of his lungs, maybe it’s time to go to the Windjammer or get a sitter for a few hours. Come on people….use a little common sense here!

Why is it just sooooo hard to be considerate??? Flame away, but it won’t change my mind!

I am in banking and it amazes me how many parents bring their children in and sit down to handle their business without a care in the world...meanwhile their child is sliding across the floors, tearing up deposit slips and running in and out of offices. Totally clueless.

They do the same thing in a doctor's office. You would think that a parent wouldn't want the physician to be distracted during the office visit. But the kid's antics go completely unchecked.

Those parents were wrong not taking their child out of the dining room. Painting every parent with the same brush like many on here have done is equally as wrong. There were always parents that needed remedial lessons on parenting and there always will be, but most parents take their responsibilities seriously and do a wonderful job raising their children.

Meggie,

There are many folks on these boards who whouldn't DREAM of leaving their little one home. They must spend every waking hour together. I am like you. I believe DH and I need time together, ALONE, to keep the marriage healthy. Then we also spend time as a family. The balance works best for us. Good for you that you've decided to do this. You won't regret it! ;)

Or in my case don't have a gigi or grandma or nani that is willing to babysit and take care of my kids full time while I go away. Some people have that luxory others don't. I will be taveling with 4 kids when I cruise for the first time. My youngest will be 4 by then and hopefully not to disturbing but that is what the kids club is for I guess if its to much for her to handle sitting at dinner by then. Also I picked RCL and a dreamworks cruise so Im hoping for LOTS of kids to be on the cruise so the noise will all just blend in LOL

Those parents were wrong not taking their child out of the dining room. Painting every parent with the same brush like many on here have done is equally as wrong. There were always parents that needed remedial lessons on parenting and there always will be, but most parents take their responsibilities seriously and do a wonderful job raising their children.

Honestly, I don't think that many people do paint every parent with the same brush. On this thread, there have been posts from all parts of the spectrum. From "Parents don't bother to parent these days; ban kids from the MDR or cruises" to "Some parents are clueless or careless and it affects everyone; as long as parents are taking care of their children and not negatively affecting others, of course they belong on cruises because cruising can be a great family vacation" (that's where my opinion is) to "How dare anyone criticize parents or children?"

I truly believe that most people's opinions are in the middle of the spectrum. I also think that some members/parents automatically react negatively to any perceived idea that some people don't love to be around children all the time. Just because someone prefers to cruise when fewer children will be onboard or who does not enjoy dining at the same table with someone else's kids doesn't mean that they are "kid haters." In fact, most of them seem to be parents and grandparents themselves who, for whatever reason (e.g., already raised their own; taking a romantic getaway while kids stay with grandparents or other loved ones; had a bad experience cruising at a time when there were 800 kids onboard) don't want to spend time with other people's children. OTOH, there are others who have an automatic negative reaction when they see children because they assume there will be problems, which simply isn't true. I have said before and will say again that mutual respect and good manners are critical for everyone to get along and enjoy themselves.

beachchick

Points out that I believe that the parents in this case were wrong. I read through this thread and others regarding children/parenting issues over the years on cc and believe that yes, MANY people simply assume that other peoples children are going to have a negative affect on their cruise. I too agree that manners and having respect for other's is essential for all.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering tho:rolleyes: out of all the families on board it sounds as if most problems are with just one or two families/kids (or toddlers/babies) so why should all toddlers/babies/kids have to eat somewhere else?

Our family uses dinner time (even on a cruise) as a time to be together and when on a cruise its a time to dress up a little and enjoy each other, even our small children. We have been on many cruises with our babies/toddlers/kids and we so enjoy the MDR! If one of our young ones gets noisy we take them out for a few minutes till we get them under control and come back. We also try to remember to bring something for them like paper/crayons etc. to help keep them busy. On every cruise we have been on we have gotten compliments from other cruisers on how behaved our kids have been while dining so it would be very upsetting to me to have to eat somewhere else. So just because a few families may have a problem getting their kiddoes to behave in the MDR please don't judge or punish all of us! :)

OP, I'm sorry you had a negative experience!

We have five kiddos, and the older ones are usually pretty well behaved at restaurants, but we are still working on the youngest (3 year old). When we went on our Disney cruise last February, she ended up playing under our table toward the end of the meal. I honestly don't think she was bothering anyone, even though she was out of her seat. She was quiet. Plus, I think Disney cruise line is probably a bit more tolerant of child-noise than some other cruise lines.

We have a RCCL coming up next February. She will turn 4 on the first day. We continue to gently work on table manners, and I bet it'll be much better this time. If not, my DH and I will take turns taking her out if necessary.

I must admit, I'm a bit worried about negative attitudes towards children on our upcoming RCCL cruise. It's in early February, before spring break, so probably a low kids census on board. Hopefully, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

I can't believe this thread has been allowed to go on this long, and that it was moved to the family forum in the first place. Please, can we just let this one go? This forum is usually so helpful and friendly, and this thread is rather toxic to the collegial environment.

I can't believe this thread has been allowed to go on this long' date=' and that it was moved to the family forum in the first place. Please, can we just let this one go? This forum is usually so helpful and friendly, and this thread is rather toxic to the collegial environment.[/quote']

I completely agree.

Just back from the Sea Princess. I ate every night at the MDR with my 23 month year old (and 3 other daughters). Only one single outburst from the toddler where I promptly rushed her out and back in again 5 minutes later. Otherwise Dora the Expolorer on my Iphone was my best friend. :)

Archived