Contemplating RT LA to HI, Tahiti & Samoa

Tweedy

Right now we are contemplating doing the roundtrip from LA to Hawaii, Tahiti & Samoa in April 2014 on the Golden.

I'm looking for some feedback from anyone who has done this particular cruise. More specifically, in regards to the 8 seas days at the end of the cruise, did you find this too many days at sea? The most I've experienced is 4 so I'm not sure how 8 days would be besides double the time. We'd then plan to stay onboard and sail back up the coast to Vancouver.

Go to member search, and search Toto2Kansas. She had a very long review. The bottom line was the 8 sea days at the end was a killer. It was as if the cruise was over and you were taking the train to get home.

One problem was the demographics. Since in general the people did not have to fly, there were quite a few "seniors" on the ship. As such, there were a tremendous number of Elites and Platinum passengers.

IMHO, my wife and I would probably be ready to kill each other with 8 sea days in a row!

We are taking the Paul Gauguin in October for our anniversary. It will sail Tahiti, Cook Islands, Fiji and Tonga. We feel it is much better to fly to Tahiti than to cruise there.

Some people are fine with lots of sea days, others aren't. My 2005 Sapphire cruise from Sydney to LA was 31 days with 19 sea days. I loved it but some people got very antsy. I think the CD makes a big difference if he or she plans enough activities appropriate to the age group. Too many times, I've had CDs that weren't very creative, didn't plan many activities or had a lot of kids movies on MUTS or in the Princess theater when you could count the number of kids on the cruise with two hands.

On our Star cruise last March, we had a number of sea days and our roll call planned a number of activities such as a "Kindle" get-together where people could exchange tips on using a Kindle. Another get-together was to talk about China. A number of people wanted to go and others had been and were willing to share their experiences. We had people who had been on Viking River Tours, others who had organized trips on their own, etc. It was a great exchange of information. On another cruise, the roll call organized a book club and we met at afternoon tea to discuss the book we'd chosen.

The point is that you don't have to depend on the CD and you don't have to spend a dime to entertain or educate 20-40 people for an hour or two. I really wish CDs were more creative this way.

Go to member search, and search Toto2Kansas. She had a very long review. The bottom line was the 8 sea days at the end was a killer. It was as if the cruise was over and you were taking the train to get home.

Thanks for pointing me to her review. I found it and will read it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJGOCH

We took this cruise also. I did not write a review. If I had it would probably be quite different. I kept very busy for the eight sea days at the end. Loved the cruise.

We were on that cruise last year. We usually like the sea days but after 7 straight sea days, we were looking forward to disembarking. That is the only cruise that we have taken that that has happened. Remember you have no news on the ship TV for most of the time you cross the Pacific.

If you have never been to these places before, I would never take a cruise there. IMHO you need to take a land trip to really get the flavor of the islands. One day in Tahiti, in Bora Bora in the Samoas ... just not enough. (We have both been to Hawaii before. I had been to Tahiti, Moorea, and Am Samoa before. My wife had not been to these islands.)

That being said, if you have been there and you like lots of sea days you may want to take a look at it. The big plus is that it is RT out of LA. We live in the LA so no expensive air fare for us. But I would pay for the extra air fare for a land trip gladly if going for the first time.

Another positive is sailing into and out ports of these islands at sunrise and sunset. That is something to see!!!!

The demographics as expected was very very elderly.

I agreed just almout everything Toto said in her review.

I think the CD makes a big difference if he or she plans enough activities appropriate to the age group. Too many times, I've had CDs that weren't very creative, didn't plan many activities or had a lot of kids movies on MUTS or in the Princess theater when you could count the number of kids on the cruise with two hands.

I agree. A good CD will plan plenty of activities.

On one trans-Atlantic cruise a few years ago on Princess, on the sea days they had some staff from an area get together for a Q&A session with passengers.

One day, for example, it was the head chef, the Matre d', the food and beverage manager, and a bartender. The CD would ask some questions to get the discussion going and then it was the passengers turn.

Another day it was people from the entertainment staff.

Another day it was people from the Medical staff.

etc.

All sessions were very interesting.

And the "Diamond Dash" reported on another thread is another example of a creative CD.

I did this same itinerary on the Sapphire in Oct/Nov 2011, and loved every minute, including the 8 sea days in a row. I even stayed on for an additional 7 days to MX at the end of it, and still would havev been happy if I could have stayed on longer.

Since we were in the first sailing of this itinerary, I think the CD dept learned .... or at least I hope they did .... that they need to provide more activities during those final 8 days ..... we found that the offerings were woefully limited. We saw a few movies in the theater some afternoons because there really wasn'y much else available.

What Caribill describes would have been a great idea for our cruise.

For me it really was no problem because I am happy with a place to sit and enjoy the ocean views and either read or work on a crossword puzzle. Just being onboard makes me happy!!!

I would do this cruise again very happily.

We were on the same cruise with Flamomo and Toto2Kansas - and we loved every minute. We do enjoy sea days and we don't rely on the CD or anyone else to occupy our time. We are happy to relax on our balcony and read or just wander around the ship. As Flamomo said - just being on board makes us happy.

We also took the recent Oct / Nov Sapphire 28 day cruise....and we will do it again. We enjoy the sea days ......and if you like to read .......it is a good time to enjoy a few good books.....in a great environment of sea air and sunshine.:)

We do enjoy sea days and we don't rely on the CD or anyone else to occupy our time. We are happy to relax on our balcony and read or just wander around the ship. As Flamomo said - just being on board makes us happy.

That's how we approach it too. I'm a senior, almost hate admitting that. Most seniors are wonderful-some not. That can apply to any demographic, though.

Archived