cruise with children ages 4 and 10, young adults and 50ish grandparents

school nurse

My DH are planning a family cruise with my 4 and 10 yo grandchildren, DD, her boyfriend, DS and DD-in-law for the end of February 2013. This is the grandchildren's vacation week but not a big vacation week for most of the country. We are looking at the Ruby Princess, RCI Freedom of the Seas, and Carnival's Glory, Freedom and Dream. We have traveled all three lines but never with kids. We want to give them enough to do but not to overwhelm them. Can anyone give me insight on any of these ships. They are all Eastern Caribbean itineraries. We will spend time on the beaches at most ports...

Also we are thinking of connecting cabins for the grandchilren and their parents or maybe someone has a better idea?

Thanks for your thoughts in advance!

I think any of those ships will be fine....the kids are in the prime age range to really enjoy the kid's clubs on any cruiseline.

I think connecting cabins for the kids/parents would be great...close enough for immediate access, but there's a door between the rooms for privacy...and 2 baths is great! At least, that's what I'd choose if I had children cruising with me!

My DH are planning a family cruise with my 4 and 10 yo grandchildren, DD, her boyfriend, DS and DD-in-law for the end of February 2013. This is the grandchildren's vacation week but not a big vacation week for most of the country.

If you are talking about President's week, this is a huge vacation time for a large part of the country. There will be loads of kids on any ship.

If you are talking about President's week, this is a huge vacation time for a large part of the country. There will be loads of kids on any ship.

Presidents day is the Monday between Lincoln's Bday (2/12?) and Washington's (2/22? maybe 21?) so 2013 it will be on February 18th.

It is actually the week that ends in March, so President's day is not part of it. Has anyone been on Carnival Glory or the Ruby Princess with children of the ages I mentioned ( 4 yo and 10 yo, girl and boy respectively)?

It is actually the week that ends in March, so President's day is not part of it. Has anyone been on Carnival Glory or the Ruby Princess with children of the ages I mentioned ( 4 yo and 10 yo, girl and boy respectively)?

We took 4 kids on the Ruby when they were ages 8, 9, 10 & 11 and they loved it! They have lots of activities for the kids to do on ship and they enjoyed trying new foods in the MDR for evening. This was a cruise to Italy, Greece and Turkey and was very port intensive - but they did fine. Prior to that we took them on the Crown Princess to the Caribbean when they were 7, 8, 9 and 10 and they also loved it - maybe even more at their younger ages. It was nice to have some grown up time while the kids were in the kids club and just being able to go to the beach when we were off the ship made it so relaxing. We did this over Thanksgiving so there were tons of kids, but even if there are not lots of kids the facilities are still wonderful on Princess ships. This summer we are taking them on the Caribbean Princess to the British Isles - 12, 13, 14 and 15 - frankly, I think it might have been easier when they were a little younger! Good luck, you'll have a great time.

We haven't been on the Ruby but have been on the Diamond Princess (when my daughters were 10 and 4) and the Emerald Princess (when they were 12 and 6). We have also cruised on Disney, Holland America and Celebrity - my daughters enjoyed all the cruises but have a slight preference for Princess. My older daughter, in particular, prefers the kids club on Princess to that of the other cruise lines.

We had a mini-suite when we were on the Princess cruises and it was nice to have a little extra space. Last summer we cruises on Celebrity and had connecting rooms which was a perfect set up - definitely nice to have extra space, a larger balcony and two bathrooms.

Lisa

I would highly recommend Princess because in the end I think it is a great line for families. Other than Disney they have what many, myself included, would rate the best of the children's program afloat.

Keith

Thanks for all your opinions! We have decided to go with the Ruby Princess and got two ajoining mini suites so we can open the balconies up and enjoy the space plus the grandchildren can have a sleep over with us. Both cabins have a sleep sofa and pulldown bed. I'm sure we will have a great time! can't wait....:)

Archived